Pablo Sandoval still reportedly seeking $100 million

Apr 25, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT

Pablo Sandoval Pablo Sandoval

In early April, extension talks between the Giants and star third baseman Pablo Sandoval were tabled. Sandoval turned down a three-year, $40 million deal in March and is reportedly using Hunter Pence‘s five-year, $90 million extension with the Giants as a baseline.

According to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, however, Sandoval is actively seeking a nine-figure contract. It’s a bit curious considering his past issues with weight management, staying healthy, and general inconsistency. It’s even more curious considering that he has a .537 OPS with the first month of the regular season nearing its conclusion.

Heyman adds that the Giants have purportedly been willing to increase their offer to include a fourth year and a fifth-year option. It’s unclear if they also bumped up the $13.33 million annual average value of the deal they offered Sandoval in March. Regardless, the deal would fall well short of the nine figures Sandoval is supposedly seeking.

1. chill1184 - Apr 26, 2014 at 12:04 AM

As the general rule goes if one team won’t pay it than someone else will.

He would have the potential to make some good money considering that (at least for now) that another potential free agent third basemen Chase Headley is on the DL. Certainly will be interesting to see how this plays out during the season.

2. thisdamnbox - Apr 26, 2014 at 12:08 AM

I love the Giants and love the Panda, but I think they have to let him walk or trade him depending on where they’re at at the deadline. There are too many variables that affect this guy’s game to mortgage that much payroll on.

Thanks for the good times. Now go find a comfortable DH slot for the next 10 years…

• mmeyer3387 - Apr 26, 2014 at 12:27 PM

In all reality, this may be the best deal for Panda. Yes he does have some leverage at the moment because he needed and this year’s market isn’t very strong right now. However, if he gets two greedy and over plays his hand he could end up like this season’s two players. Morales, Drew over played their hands. Additionally, This past free agent market may a trend that the market is tightening.
      Panda may get the best deal from the Giants. They seem to like and want him.

3. stabonerichard - Apr 26, 2014 at 12:24 AM

Pablo’s lack of conditioning, to put it kindly, is well documented. He’s missed, on average, a quarter of each of the past 3 seasons. He offers minimal defensive value, and is likely to slide into defensive liability territory in the near future. He’s hitting well below replacement level so far in 2014.

No one is going to give him 9 figures, but fortunately for him he’s already made lots of money playing ball.

4. dreadpiratesteve - Apr 26, 2014 at 1:14 AM

Oh my god that’s hilarious! Thanks Pablo, I needed a good laugh.

5. pisano - Apr 26, 2014 at 1:23 AM

Hey Pablo, as soon as you get that 100mil, call me, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I’m looking to sell. LOL

6. 4d3fect - Apr 26, 2014 at 1:40 AM

Aren’t we all?

7. rcali - Apr 26, 2014 at 2:20 AM

Has anybody Taken a look around the league at the third base position? It’s nasty. He’ll get a hefty ransom from somebody whether we like it or not .

• yahmule - Apr 26, 2014 at 2:47 AM

No skin off my nose if some desperate franchise wants to back up the truck for this slob.

8. senioreditor2 - Apr 26, 2014 at 2:49 AM

He will EASILY get 7 figures. He’ll only be 28, a switch hitter, plays third base.and he’s a lifetime .294 hitter. I’m guessing 7 yrs/125+

• kardshark1 - Apr 26, 2014 at 3:05 AM

He’s had way more wear and tear than a normal 28 year old. Plus, he claims he’s 28… but considering most players peek in their 27-28 season and he peeked a few years ago, already slowing down a lot, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s really 30 or older.

Sadly, I watch every Giants’ game, and in no way would I commit long term to him. Having said that… The Giants’ have absolutely zilch in their farm system to replace him next year or in the next 3 years for that matter.

• sailcat54 - Apr 27, 2014 at 1:05 AM

I agree the Gigantes have no one in the minor league pipeline to replace Sandoval, and there is no one who will be in free agency to replace him if they do not meet his demands, but the fact still remains he is not worth what he is asking. Maybe Posey would entertain the thought of moving to third to prolong his career…?

9. temporarilyexiled - Apr 26, 2014 at 10:37 AM

I really feel sorry for Pablo. He’s getting bad contract advice. He’s gotten good hitter’s-approach advice from Miguel Cabrera…good for Miguel Cabrera…not so good for Pablo Sandoval. Who’s in charge in that head of his? He gets in trouble in Santa Cruz (details to be found in Hardballs Talk). He’s battled his weight only to be hitting way less than his weight anyway (find this in Lardball Talk). He could be so good – a switch-hitting, good-fielding third baseman who can hit for average and power – and is a one-of-a-kind character who’s hard not to like (if you ignore all the other nonsense). Will we be talking about him in a few years, down and out of baseball altogether? I hope not. I hope he figures it out, and fast. I doubt he’ll be a Giant. If so, I wish him luck elsewhere.

10. sportsfan18 - Apr 26, 2014 at 11:23 AM

A $100 million contract for a fatso?

I pity the team that does pay this bozo…

11. steveohho - Apr 26, 2014 at 12:21 PM

He looks like a 3-4 win player for 4-6 years assuming he stays in svelte shape and avoids injury. But what are those odds? You might figure a 90-100 million dollar deal

With clubs flushed with cash, and competitive balance rising, I would think he is right, and he will get it something near it.

12. ralphwilsonisrich - Apr 28, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Jim Ray Hart and Jim Davenport are saying What!

Three legends off to Cooperstown