Apr 25, 2014, 11:55 PM EST
In early April, extension talks between the Giants and star third baseman Pablo Sandoval were tabled. Sandoval turned down a three-year, $40 million deal in March and is reportedly using Hunter Pence‘s five-year, $90 million extension with the Giants as a baseline.
According to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, however, Sandoval is actively seeking a nine-figure contract. It’s a bit curious considering his past issues with weight management, staying healthy, and general inconsistency. It’s even more curious considering that he has a .537 OPS with the first month of the regular season nearing its conclusion.
Heyman adds that the Giants have purportedly been willing to increase their offer to include a fourth year and a fifth-year option. It’s unclear if they also bumped up the $13.33 million annual average value of the deal they offered Sandoval in March. Regardless, the deal would fall well short of the nine figures Sandoval is supposedly seeking.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 10
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 71
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 140
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (140)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)