Apr 25, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT
In early April, extension talks between the Giants and star third baseman Pablo Sandoval were tabled. Sandoval turned down a three-year, $40 million deal in March and is reportedly using Hunter Pence‘s five-year, $90 million extension with the Giants as a baseline.
According to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, however, Sandoval is actively seeking a nine-figure contract. It’s a bit curious considering his past issues with weight management, staying healthy, and general inconsistency. It’s even more curious considering that he has a .537 OPS with the first month of the regular season nearing its conclusion.
Heyman adds that the Giants have purportedly been willing to increase their offer to include a fourth year and a fifth-year option. It’s unclear if they also bumped up the $13.33 million annual average value of the deal they offered Sandoval in March. Regardless, the deal would fall well short of the nine figures Sandoval is supposedly seeking.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)