Apr 25, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT
In early April, extension talks between the Giants and star third baseman Pablo Sandoval were tabled. Sandoval turned down a three-year, $40 million deal in March and is reportedly using Hunter Pence‘s five-year, $90 million extension with the Giants as a baseline.
According to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, however, Sandoval is actively seeking a nine-figure contract. It’s a bit curious considering his past issues with weight management, staying healthy, and general inconsistency. It’s even more curious considering that he has a .537 OPS with the first month of the regular season nearing its conclusion.
Heyman adds that the Giants have purportedly been willing to increase their offer to include a fourth year and a fifth-year option. It’s unclear if they also bumped up the $13.33 million annual average value of the deal they offered Sandoval in March. Regardless, the deal would fall well short of the nine figures Sandoval is supposedly seeking.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)