Apr 25, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT
In early April, extension talks between the Giants and star third baseman Pablo Sandoval were tabled. Sandoval turned down a three-year, $40 million deal in March and is reportedly using Hunter Pence‘s five-year, $90 million extension with the Giants as a baseline.
According to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, however, Sandoval is actively seeking a nine-figure contract. It’s a bit curious considering his past issues with weight management, staying healthy, and general inconsistency. It’s even more curious considering that he has a .537 OPS with the first month of the regular season nearing its conclusion.
Heyman adds that the Giants have purportedly been willing to increase their offer to include a fourth year and a fifth-year option. It’s unclear if they also bumped up the $13.33 million annual average value of the deal they offered Sandoval in March. Regardless, the deal would fall well short of the nine figures Sandoval is supposedly seeking.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 64
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)