Apr 25, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
Chase Headley seemed to know it was bad as soon as he exited yesterday’s game with a calf injury and sure enough the Padres have placed the third baseman on the disabled list.
Headley missed most of spring training with the same injury, so they’re not taking any chances this time around. He’s also been playing through knee and biceps injury while hitting just .186 through 20 games, so the impending free agent’s walk year is off to a very rough start.
To replace Headley on the roster the Padres called up former first-round pick Jace Peterson from Double-A for his first big-league stint. He’s a shortstop, but could see some action at third base depending on how much manager Bud Black wants to use Alexi Amarista there.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)