Apr 25, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
Chase Headley seemed to know it was bad as soon as he exited yesterday’s game with a calf injury and sure enough the Padres have placed the third baseman on the disabled list.
Headley missed most of spring training with the same injury, so they’re not taking any chances this time around. He’s also been playing through knee and biceps injury while hitting just .186 through 20 games, so the impending free agent’s walk year is off to a very rough start.
To replace Headley on the roster the Padres called up former first-round pick Jace Peterson from Double-A for his first big-league stint. He’s a shortstop, but could see some action at third base depending on how much manager Bud Black wants to use Alexi Amarista there.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 0
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 17
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 46
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)