Apr 25, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Chase Headley seemed to know it was bad as soon as he exited yesterday’s game with a calf injury and sure enough the Padres have placed the third baseman on the disabled list.
Headley missed most of spring training with the same injury, so they’re not taking any chances this time around. He’s also been playing through knee and biceps injury while hitting just .186 through 20 games, so the impending free agent’s walk year is off to a very rough start.
To replace Headley on the roster the Padres called up former first-round pick Jace Peterson from Double-A for his first big-league stint. He’s a shortstop, but could see some action at third base depending on how much manager Bud Black wants to use Alexi Amarista there.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (276)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)