Apr 25, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
Chase Headley seemed to know it was bad as soon as he exited yesterday’s game with a calf injury and sure enough the Padres have placed the third baseman on the disabled list.
Headley missed most of spring training with the same injury, so they’re not taking any chances this time around. He’s also been playing through knee and biceps injury while hitting just .186 through 20 games, so the impending free agent’s walk year is off to a very rough start.
To replace Headley on the roster the Padres called up former first-round pick Jace Peterson from Double-A for his first big-league stint. He’s a shortstop, but could see some action at third base depending on how much manager Bud Black wants to use Alexi Amarista there.
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 0
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 10
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 139
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (139)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)