Apr 25, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
Chase Headley seemed to know it was bad as soon as he exited yesterday’s game with a calf injury and sure enough the Padres have placed the third baseman on the disabled list.
Headley missed most of spring training with the same injury, so they’re not taking any chances this time around. He’s also been playing through knee and biceps injury while hitting just .186 through 20 games, so the impending free agent’s walk year is off to a very rough start.
To replace Headley on the roster the Padres called up former first-round pick Jace Peterson from Double-A for his first big-league stint. He’s a shortstop, but could see some action at third base depending on how much manager Bud Black wants to use Alexi Amarista there.
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 18
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 35
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 39
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)