Apr 25, 2014, 4:16 PM EST
Before deciding on surgery Betancourt had talked about retiring at age 39, but instead he’ll try to make a comeback in the organization he’s been with since mid-2009.
There’s a slim chance he could be cleared to pitch for Colorado late this season, but odds are he’ll be looking at a 2015 return and the Rockies will be doing him a solid by letting him rehab with them in the meantime. For now he’ll head to extended spring training in Arizona.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 13
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 22
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)