Apr 25, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Before deciding on surgery Betancourt had talked about retiring at age 39, but instead he’ll try to make a comeback in the organization he’s been with since mid-2009.
There’s a slim chance he could be cleared to pitch for Colorado late this season, but odds are he’ll be looking at a 2015 return and the Rockies will be doing him a solid by letting him rehab with them in the meantime. For now he’ll head to extended spring training in Arizona.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)