Apr 25, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
On Thursday morning, the White Sox activated Gordon Beckham from the disabled list following a bout with an oblique strain. Manager Robin Ventura assured Beckham that he would resume his role as the club’s starting second baseman, but the White Sox have a bit of a playing time problem on their hands.
Marcus Semien filled in admirably for Beckham. While he wasn’t a world-beater with the bat, he had some timely hits — including a go-ahead grand slam against the Tigers on Wednesday — and played plus defense. The White Sox also have used Leury Garcia a few times at second base and he posted a .708 OPS in the opportunities he was given.
With Beckham earning $4.175 million this season with one more year of arbitration eligibility left, Doug Padilla of ESPN Chicago writes that the club could explore a trade.
The White Sox are flush with second-base prospects, with Semien merely being at the head of that pack. Leury Garcia has the ability to play there, as does Carlos Sanchez at Triple-A and Micah Johnson, who is proving to be one of the top prospects in the entire organization with his production, at Double-A.
Beckham has one more year of arbitration eligibility, but the White Sox are obviously in position to go a different route. If Beckham is productive over the next three months, he would become a valuable trade asset by the July 31 deadline for non-waiver deals.
Beckham, 27, was hyped as a prospect going into the 2009 season. But in nearly 2,500 career plate appearances in the big leagues, he has posted a meager .693 OPS. He is entering his sixth season and has posted a sub-.700 OPS in each of the last four seasons.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 8
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 94
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (94)