Apr 26, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
Tigers hurler Anibal Sanchez left his start on Saturday against the Twins in the third inning due to a blister on his right middle finger, the Detroit Free Press reports. Sanchez had a 3-2 count on Twins second baseman Brian Dozier before departing. Jose Ortega took the mound in relief and finished the plate appearance by walking Dozier. The walk was charged to Sanchez.
Sanchez didn’t allow a hit to the Twins over 2 2/3 innings, walking two and striking out two.
The injury isn’t considered serious. Since the Tigers have off-days on Monday and Thursday, Drew Smyly could remain in the rotation while Sanchez’s spot in the rotation is skipped over, but that may not be necessary.
Update (7:00 PM): Sanchez does need a stint on the disabled list. The Tigers placed him on the 15-day disabled list and called up Justin Miller from Triple-A Toledo.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 42
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 46
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 50
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)