Apr 26, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
Tigers hurler Anibal Sanchez left his start on Saturday against the Twins in the third inning due to a blister on his right middle finger, the Detroit Free Press reports. Sanchez had a 3-2 count on Twins second baseman Brian Dozier before departing. Jose Ortega took the mound in relief and finished the plate appearance by walking Dozier. The walk was charged to Sanchez.
Sanchez didn’t allow a hit to the Twins over 2 2/3 innings, walking two and striking out two.
The injury isn’t considered serious. Since the Tigers have off-days on Monday and Thursday, Drew Smyly could remain in the rotation while Sanchez’s spot in the rotation is skipped over, but that may not be necessary.
Update (7:00 PM): Sanchez does need a stint on the disabled list. The Tigers placed him on the 15-day disabled list and called up Justin Miller from Triple-A Toledo.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)