Aroldis Chapman throws live batting practice, wants one more session before heading out on rehab assignment
Apr 26, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
Reds reliever Aroldis Chapman threw live batting practice on Saturday afternoon at Turner Field, hours before his team took on the Braves. He did so without a protective screen, a great sign. But the lefty wants to throw one more batting practice session before heading out on a rehab assignment, MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon writes.
“I would be able to go to the Minor Leagues right now, but to be honest, I need at least one more simulated game,” Chapman said via translator Tomas Vera. “I think that’s what we’re going to do — throw another simulated game before I decide to go somewhere else.”
Chapman is tentatively scheduled for another live BP on Tuesday at Great American Ball Park.
Chapman is recovering from facial fractures after he was hit in the face with a line drive off of the bat of Salvador Perez in a spring training game. If he suffers no setbacks, he could rejoin the Reds some time in the middle of May.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 60
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (125)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)