Apr 26, 2014, 10:34 PM EDT
10:50 p.m. EDT update: X-rays were negative on Ramirez’s thumb, and he’s considered day-to-day with a bruise.
Hanley Ramirez had to come out of Saturday’s game against the Rockies after three innings with a right thumb injury.
Ramirez wasn’t in any obvious pain initially after grounding out into third, but once he returned to the dugout, he was in obvious pain and shaking his right hand. After a few minutes, he tried gripping a ball and a bat to see if he could continue, but he didn’t take his position in the fourth.
Making the incident particularly scary is that it’s the same thumb Ramirez injured on a head-first slide in the World Baseball Classic last year. He suffered a torn ligament then and needed surgery, which sidelined him for 5 1/2 weeks.
If Ramirez requires another DL trip this year, it will be interesting to see what the Dodgers do. Dee Gordon has settled in nicely at second base, but he’s a natural shortstop, and Cuban defector Alex Guerrero has hit .424/.525/.818 in his first 10 games in Triple-A, striking out just once in 33 at-bats. Calling Guerrero up to play second and shifting Gordon to short would be a possibility.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)