Apr 26, 2014, 10:34 PM EST
10:50 p.m. EDT update: X-rays were negative on Ramirez’s thumb, and he’s considered day-to-day with a bruise.
Hanley Ramirez had to come out of Saturday’s game against the Rockies after three innings with a right thumb injury.
Ramirez wasn’t in any obvious pain initially after grounding out into third, but once he returned to the dugout, he was in obvious pain and shaking his right hand. After a few minutes, he tried gripping a ball and a bat to see if he could continue, but he didn’t take his position in the fourth.
Making the incident particularly scary is that it’s the same thumb Ramirez injured on a head-first slide in the World Baseball Classic last year. He suffered a torn ligament then and needed surgery, which sidelined him for 5 1/2 weeks.
If Ramirez requires another DL trip this year, it will be interesting to see what the Dodgers do. Dee Gordon has settled in nicely at second base, but he’s a natural shortstop, and Cuban defector Alex Guerrero has hit .424/.525/.818 in his first 10 games in Triple-A, striking out just once in 33 at-bats. Calling Guerrero up to play second and shifting Gordon to short would be a possibility.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 0
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 80
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 34
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)