Apr 26, 2014, 10:34 PM EST
10:50 p.m. EDT update: X-rays were negative on Ramirez’s thumb, and he’s considered day-to-day with a bruise.
Hanley Ramirez had to come out of Saturday’s game against the Rockies after three innings with a right thumb injury.
Ramirez wasn’t in any obvious pain initially after grounding out into third, but once he returned to the dugout, he was in obvious pain and shaking his right hand. After a few minutes, he tried gripping a ball and a bat to see if he could continue, but he didn’t take his position in the fourth.
Making the incident particularly scary is that it’s the same thumb Ramirez injured on a head-first slide in the World Baseball Classic last year. He suffered a torn ligament then and needed surgery, which sidelined him for 5 1/2 weeks.
If Ramirez requires another DL trip this year, it will be interesting to see what the Dodgers do. Dee Gordon has settled in nicely at second base, but he’s a natural shortstop, and Cuban defector Alex Guerrero has hit .424/.525/.818 in his first 10 games in Triple-A, striking out just once in 33 at-bats. Calling Guerrero up to play second and shifting Gordon to short would be a possibility.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)