Apr 26, 2014, 11:15 PM EST
11:15 p.m. EDT update: The Brewers said after the game that Segura tested negative for a concussion or a fracture. He did need stitches and is expected to miss at least a couple of days, but it’s not believed to be a DL situation.
Jean Segura had to be helped into the Brewers’ clubhouse with a trainer during Friday’s game against the Cubs. He was holding the back of his head and appeared to be in pain. Per Cubs broadcaster Len Kasper on Twitter, Segura was accidentally hit in the face with a bat by teammate Ryan Braun. While on the top step of the dugout, Braun was apparently using the bat to stretch and didn’t see Segura approach from behind.
Segura was taken out of the game and replaced at shortstop by Jeff Bianchi.
The severity of the injury is not yet known, but when details surface, we’ll update you here.
Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel retweeted this Vine that shows Segura getting struck by the bat:
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27