Apr 26, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
11:15 p.m. EDT update: The Brewers said after the game that Segura tested negative for a concussion or a fracture. He did need stitches and is expected to miss at least a couple of days, but it’s not believed to be a DL situation.
Jean Segura had to be helped into the Brewers’ clubhouse with a trainer during Friday’s game against the Cubs. He was holding the back of his head and appeared to be in pain. Per Cubs broadcaster Len Kasper on Twitter, Segura was accidentally hit in the face with a bat by teammate Ryan Braun. While on the top step of the dugout, Braun was apparently using the bat to stretch and didn’t see Segura approach from behind.
Segura was taken out of the game and replaced at shortstop by Jeff Bianchi.
The severity of the injury is not yet known, but when details surface, we’ll update you here.
Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel retweeted this Vine that shows Segura getting struck by the bat:
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 4
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 14
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)