Apr 26, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
11:15 p.m. EDT update: The Brewers said after the game that Segura tested negative for a concussion or a fracture. He did need stitches and is expected to miss at least a couple of days, but it’s not believed to be a DL situation.
Jean Segura had to be helped into the Brewers’ clubhouse with a trainer during Friday’s game against the Cubs. He was holding the back of his head and appeared to be in pain. Per Cubs broadcaster Len Kasper on Twitter, Segura was accidentally hit in the face with a bat by teammate Ryan Braun. While on the top step of the dugout, Braun was apparently using the bat to stretch and didn’t see Segura approach from behind.
Segura was taken out of the game and replaced at shortstop by Jeff Bianchi.
The severity of the injury is not yet known, but when details surface, we’ll update you here.
Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel retweeted this Vine that shows Segura getting struck by the bat:
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 46
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 98
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (98)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)