Apr 26, 2014, 11:15 PM EST
11:15 p.m. EDT update: The Brewers said after the game that Segura tested negative for a concussion or a fracture. He did need stitches and is expected to miss at least a couple of days, but it’s not believed to be a DL situation.
Jean Segura had to be helped into the Brewers’ clubhouse with a trainer during Friday’s game against the Cubs. He was holding the back of his head and appeared to be in pain. Per Cubs broadcaster Len Kasper on Twitter, Segura was accidentally hit in the face with a bat by teammate Ryan Braun. While on the top step of the dugout, Braun was apparently using the bat to stretch and didn’t see Segura approach from behind.
Segura was taken out of the game and replaced at shortstop by Jeff Bianchi.
The severity of the injury is not yet known, but when details surface, we’ll update you here.
Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel retweeted this Vine that shows Segura getting struck by the bat:
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)