Apr 26, 2014, 11:15 PM EST
11:15 p.m. EDT update: The Brewers said after the game that Segura tested negative for a concussion or a fracture. He did need stitches and is expected to miss at least a couple of days, but it’s not believed to be a DL situation.
Jean Segura had to be helped into the Brewers’ clubhouse with a trainer during Friday’s game against the Cubs. He was holding the back of his head and appeared to be in pain. Per Cubs broadcaster Len Kasper on Twitter, Segura was accidentally hit in the face with a bat by teammate Ryan Braun. While on the top step of the dugout, Braun was apparently using the bat to stretch and didn’t see Segura approach from behind.
Segura was taken out of the game and replaced at shortstop by Jeff Bianchi.
The severity of the injury is not yet known, but when details surface, we’ll update you here.
Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel retweeted this Vine that shows Segura getting struck by the bat:
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 7
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)