Apr 26, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Via the Pirates official Twitter, the club placed catcher Russell Martin on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring. Closer Jason Grilli‘s move to the DL was also made official. The Pirates recalled catcher Tony Sanchez and pitcher Jared Hughes.
The Pirates attempted to recall Hughes to take Grilli’s spot on the roster on Friday, but because they were backdating Grilli’s DL stint, Hughes was ineligible to be promoted because he was already on the active roster when starter Wandy Rodriguez went on the DL.
Martin suffered his strained hamstring on Friday having missed two games with unrelated lower body soreness. Sanchez, who had a .929 at Triple-A Indianapolis, will assume most of the playing time behind the dish and Chris Stewart will continue to be the back-up.
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 12
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 58
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)