Apr 26, 2014, 1:25 PM EST
Via the Pirates official Twitter, the club placed catcher Russell Martin on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring. Closer Jason Grilli‘s move to the DL was also made official. The Pirates recalled catcher Tony Sanchez and pitcher Jared Hughes.
The Pirates attempted to recall Hughes to take Grilli’s spot on the roster on Friday, but because they were backdating Grilli’s DL stint, Hughes was ineligible to be promoted because he was already on the active roster when starter Wandy Rodriguez went on the DL.
Martin suffered his strained hamstring on Friday having missed two games with unrelated lower body soreness. Sanchez, who had a .929 at Triple-A Indianapolis, will assume most of the playing time behind the dish and Chris Stewart will continue to be the back-up.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 82
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 46
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 31
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)