Apr 26, 2014, 1:25 PM EST
Via the Pirates official Twitter, the club placed catcher Russell Martin on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring. Closer Jason Grilli‘s move to the DL was also made official. The Pirates recalled catcher Tony Sanchez and pitcher Jared Hughes.
The Pirates attempted to recall Hughes to take Grilli’s spot on the roster on Friday, but because they were backdating Grilli’s DL stint, Hughes was ineligible to be promoted because he was already on the active roster when starter Wandy Rodriguez went on the DL.
Martin suffered his strained hamstring on Friday having missed two games with unrelated lower body soreness. Sanchez, who had a .929 at Triple-A Indianapolis, will assume most of the playing time behind the dish and Chris Stewart will continue to be the back-up.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (118)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)