Apr 26, 2014, 1:25 PM EST
Via the Pirates official Twitter, the club placed catcher Russell Martin on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring. Closer Jason Grilli‘s move to the DL was also made official. The Pirates recalled catcher Tony Sanchez and pitcher Jared Hughes.
The Pirates attempted to recall Hughes to take Grilli’s spot on the roster on Friday, but because they were backdating Grilli’s DL stint, Hughes was ineligible to be promoted because he was already on the active roster when starter Wandy Rodriguez went on the DL.
Martin suffered his strained hamstring on Friday having missed two games with unrelated lower body soreness. Sanchez, who had a .929 at Triple-A Indianapolis, will assume most of the playing time behind the dish and Chris Stewart will continue to be the back-up.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 137
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 31
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (148)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)