Apr 26, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Via the Pirates official Twitter, the club placed catcher Russell Martin on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring. Closer Jason Grilli‘s move to the DL was also made official. The Pirates recalled catcher Tony Sanchez and pitcher Jared Hughes.
The Pirates attempted to recall Hughes to take Grilli’s spot on the roster on Friday, but because they were backdating Grilli’s DL stint, Hughes was ineligible to be promoted because he was already on the active roster when starter Wandy Rodriguez went on the DL.
Martin suffered his strained hamstring on Friday having missed two games with unrelated lower body soreness. Sanchez, who had a .929 at Triple-A Indianapolis, will assume most of the playing time behind the dish and Chris Stewart will continue to be the back-up.
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 1
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 20
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)