Apr 26, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald reports that Marlins infielder Rafael Furcal is suffering from tightness in his right groin. He had been rehabbing in the minor leagues, and the club hopes the setback is minor enough that he can resume his rehab on Sunday.
Furcal, 36, was already rehabbing from a strained left hamstring, so a new injury on the other side of his lower half is not welcome news to the Marlins, who signed Furcal to a one-year, $3.5 million deal in December. The plan was for Furcal to play second base everyday, but the Marlins have done fine without him. Derek Dietrich enters Saturday with a 1.004 OPS in 48 plate appearances.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)