Apr 26, 2014, 8:35 PM EST
Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald reports that Marlins infielder Rafael Furcal is suffering from tightness in his right groin. He had been rehabbing in the minor leagues, and the club hopes the setback is minor enough that he can resume his rehab on Sunday.
Furcal, 36, was already rehabbing from a strained left hamstring, so a new injury on the other side of his lower half is not welcome news to the Marlins, who signed Furcal to a one-year, $3.5 million deal in December. The plan was for Furcal to play second base everyday, but the Marlins have done fine without him. Derek Dietrich enters Saturday with a 1.004 OPS in 48 plate appearances.
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 35
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (244)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)