Apr 26, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald reports that Marlins infielder Rafael Furcal is suffering from tightness in his right groin. He had been rehabbing in the minor leagues, and the club hopes the setback is minor enough that he can resume his rehab on Sunday.
Furcal, 36, was already rehabbing from a strained left hamstring, so a new injury on the other side of his lower half is not welcome news to the Marlins, who signed Furcal to a one-year, $3.5 million deal in December. The plan was for Furcal to play second base everyday, but the Marlins have done fine without him. Derek Dietrich enters Saturday with a 1.004 OPS in 48 plate appearances.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 33
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 21
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)