Apr 26, 2014, 4:19 PM EST
C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinntai Enquirer reports that the Reds have put catcher Devin Mesoraco on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring. Mesoraco injured the hamstring in the top of the seventh in Friday night’s game against the Braves and was taken out at the end of the frame.
The Reds called up Tucker Barnhart from Triple-A Louisville to take Mesoraco’s spot on the roster. Brayan Pena will get the lion’s share of the playing time behind the dish.
Mesoraco, 25, was on fire at the plate, carrying a 1.297 OPS in 53 plate appearances leading up to the injury.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)