Apr 26, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
Giants pitcher Tim Hudson has made a career out of having great control. The right-hander had walked only 7.2 percent of the 11,803 batters he faced in his 16-year career entering Friday’s start against the Indians. So, it wasn’t surprising that he was also carrying a lengthy walkless streak to open the 2014 season.
In four starts spanning 30 innings, Hudson hadn’t walked a batter. Hudson opened the first inning against the Indians with two quick outs, but then allowed a single to Jason Kipnis and issued a walk to Carlos Santana. The streak ended at 30 2/3 innings and 115 batters faced. As CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly noted, that’s the longest streak, in terms of batters faced, to start a season since 1944.
Hudson improved to 3-1 with the effort, allowing one run on four hits and two walks while striking out five over seven innings of work. The 38-year-old right-hander joined the Giants in the off-season on a two-year, $23 million contract and has been exactly what they paid for. Over five starts, Hudson has a 2.19 ERA with a 12.5-to-1 strikeout-to-walk ratio.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Saturday evening MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Saturday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 0
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 178
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 138
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 38
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (188)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (139)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)