Apr 26, 2014, 9:35 AM EST
Giants pitcher Tim Hudson has made a career out of having great control. The right-hander had walked only 7.2 percent of the 11,803 batters he faced in his 16-year career entering Friday’s start against the Indians. So, it wasn’t surprising that he was also carrying a lengthy walkless streak to open the 2014 season.
In four starts spanning 30 innings, Hudson hadn’t walked a batter. Hudson opened the first inning against the Indians with two quick outs, but then allowed a single to Jason Kipnis and issued a walk to Carlos Santana. The streak ended at 30 2/3 innings and 115 batters faced. As CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly noted, that’s the longest streak, in terms of batters faced, to start a season since 1944.
Hudson improved to 3-1 with the effort, allowing one run on four hits and two walks while striking out five over seven innings of work. The 38-year-old right-hander joined the Giants in the off-season on a two-year, $23 million contract and has been exactly what they paid for. Over five starts, Hudson has a 2.19 ERA with a 12.5-to-1 strikeout-to-walk ratio.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Saturday evening MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Saturday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)