Apr 26, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
Giants pitcher Tim Hudson has made a career out of having great control. The right-hander had walked only 7.2 percent of the 11,803 batters he faced in his 16-year career entering Friday’s start against the Indians. So, it wasn’t surprising that he was also carrying a lengthy walkless streak to open the 2014 season.
In four starts spanning 30 innings, Hudson hadn’t walked a batter. Hudson opened the first inning against the Indians with two quick outs, but then allowed a single to Jason Kipnis and issued a walk to Carlos Santana. The streak ended at 30 2/3 innings and 115 batters faced. As CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly noted, that’s the longest streak, in terms of batters faced, to start a season since 1944.
Hudson improved to 3-1 with the effort, allowing one run on four hits and two walks while striking out five over seven innings of work. The 38-year-old right-hander joined the Giants in the off-season on a two-year, $23 million contract and has been exactly what they paid for. Over five starts, Hudson has a 2.19 ERA with a 12.5-to-1 strikeout-to-walk ratio.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Saturday evening MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Saturday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 27
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 20
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 54
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)