Apr 26, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
Giants pitcher Tim Hudson has made a career out of having great control. The right-hander had walked only 7.2 percent of the 11,803 batters he faced in his 16-year career entering Friday’s start against the Indians. So, it wasn’t surprising that he was also carrying a lengthy walkless streak to open the 2014 season.
In four starts spanning 30 innings, Hudson hadn’t walked a batter. Hudson opened the first inning against the Indians with two quick outs, but then allowed a single to Jason Kipnis and issued a walk to Carlos Santana. The streak ended at 30 2/3 innings and 115 batters faced. As CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly noted, that’s the longest streak, in terms of batters faced, to start a season since 1944.
Hudson improved to 3-1 with the effort, allowing one run on four hits and two walks while striking out five over seven innings of work. The 38-year-old right-hander joined the Giants in the off-season on a two-year, $23 million contract and has been exactly what they paid for. Over five starts, Hudson has a 2.19 ERA with a 12.5-to-1 strikeout-to-walk ratio.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Saturday evening MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Saturday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 30
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 46
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 67
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 55
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)