A day in the life of Matt Harvey …

Apr 27, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT

matt harvey tall getty Getty Images

Kathleen Lucadamo of the New York Times has a cool little feature on what a typical Sunday is like for Mets right-hander Matt Harvey, who is rehabbing from Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery. An excerpt:

I like to go to Freemans for brunch. There’s a men’s clothing shop, Freemans Sporting Club, next door, so I check out new suits while I’m there. They have really amazing material and options. So if I can get in a good brunch and pick up a great suit for an upcoming road trip, I’ll do it. Or I’ll go to John Varvatos to shop. The majority of my clothes are from there. Those guys have been very helpful in fashion. If I’m hungry, I go to Lure Fishbar for a bite.

Harvey pushed hard to rehab in New York City rather than Port St. Lucie, Florida — where the Mets have their spring training complex — and it’s easy to understand why. The 25-year-old is living the life of a Manhattan socialite.

1. Old Gator - Apr 27, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Harvey sounds horrifyingly like Kim Kardashian in that interview.

• historiophiliac - Apr 27, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Maybe Kanye will put him in his next video.

• babyfarkmcgeezax - Apr 27, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Sexism to the max

2. hoopmatch - Apr 27, 2014 at 11:14 AM

I wonder if Matt Harvey has ever met Harvey Matthews…

3. alexo0 - Apr 27, 2014 at 11:33 AM

That article sounds more like a paid advertisement.

4. chacochicken - Apr 27, 2014 at 11:47 AM

NYC is just eating him alive.

• jimeejohnson - Apr 27, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Sounds like it’s the other way around!

• sportsfan18 - Apr 28, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Exactly… he’ll begin wanting input on the new uniform design or something next!!!

Just play ball dude…

5. zengreaser - Apr 27, 2014 at 12:10 PM

What a diva.

• thebadguyswon - Apr 27, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Who you WISH pitched for your team.

6. jimeejohnson - Apr 27, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Both places are in or around Greenwich Village. Harvey’s either a hippie or a yuppie.

7. gbart22 - Apr 27, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Oh good god is he really this desperate for attention? I’m a huge mets fan always have been always will be win or lose but my god this dude just doesn’t ever shut up! Go live your life live it up in manhattan im happy for you but keep it to yourself. Nobody truly cares I hope. I’m waiting for him to announce is next project is a reality television show. The young pitcher in Miami has been better than Matt harvey and yet this guy is constantly in headlines. Keith Hernandez was right when he said Matt harvey is the most over hyped 12-10 pitcher of all time.

• dan1111 - Apr 27, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Reporters approach baseball players and ask them questions like this. It’s not like Harvey thought, “The world really needs to hear about my Sunday routine. How can I get the word out?” All he did was answer the questions, which is arguably the polite thing to do.

If you don’t want to hear about it, you have options. Such as: not reading news about Harvey; not reading blogs that report news on Harvey; if you do see a news item on Harvey, not clicking on it and reading on it; and of course, not contributing to a comment discussion about it.

• jwbiii - Apr 27, 2014 at 2:05 PM

If Dan LeBatard (or some other media creature in south Florida) called Jose Fernandez and asked him what he did on an off day, would you feel better if he answered him candidly or told him to go piss up a rope?

8. gbart22 - Apr 27, 2014 at 12:24 PM

• thebadguyswon - Apr 27, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Please get over yourself. The guy is a young pro athlete.

9. gbart22 - Apr 27, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Not over hyped but over celebrated**

10. gbart22 - Apr 27, 2014 at 12:27 PM

That kid in Miami much better

11. gbart22 - Apr 27, 2014 at 12:27 PM

That kid in Miami much better

12. gbart22 - Apr 27, 2014 at 12:27 PM

That kid in Miami much better

13. gbart22 - Apr 27, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Whoa why did it post so much? Phone issues sorry about that folks.

14. Kevin Gillman - Apr 27, 2014 at 2:11 PM

The next new show premiering on Bravo network this fall….Being Matt Harvey.

15. cutelittleguy02 - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:47 PM

I don t see anything wrong on his routine, he is only 25. What do you expected?

16. President Charles Logan - Apr 28, 2014 at 1:22 AM

He’s going to stink when he gets back to pitching

17. kappy32 - Apr 28, 2014 at 2:34 AM

I am a die hard Mets fan & Harvey has been annoying me beyond belief since Spring Training. Freeman’s? Varvato’s? The dude is more concerned about his outward appearance than anything else. He’s just a straight up yuppie & being a NY native myself, nothing annoys me more than a pretentious, snooty yuppie. Most Mets fans (myself NOT included) still talk about the ’86 championship team as though it happened last year (it’s only been 28 years). That team was filled with grinders & dudes that knew how to party. They weren’t “brunching” on a Sunday, they were working off Saturday night’s hangover; they didn’t shop at Varvato’s or other custom-made suit shops, they shopped at Macy’s & JC Penny. It is a complete contradiction that fans love the Lenny “Nails” Dykstras & the Wally Bachmans of yesteryear, while also loving a player who places more value on the way he looks in the mirror than he does on the pitching mound. It’s the great contradiction that is Mets fans. They want to win, but they don’t want to spend money; they want good players on the team, but they don’t want to trade any prospects. I’ll tell you one thing, though.., Matt Harvey is not an ’86 Met, no matter which way you slice it. I can promise you that you wouldn’t see Doc Gooden sitting center ice at a Rangers playoff game, wearing a $1,000 tee-shirt, making out with the latest Victoria’s Secret or SI Swimsuit Model; he was picking fights with Rangers players at the Blarney Stone after dropping $1,000 on drinks & a couple 8-balls, with a couple local street-walkers on each arm. I love how Harvey plays when he’s on the mound, but he leaves a lot to be desired with his off-field play. As far as I’m concerned, he’s about 1 more Sunday Brunch or custom suit shop away from having his Man Card revoked.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3207)