Matt Kemp gets dragged into Donald Sterling controversy

Apr 27, 2014, 12:29 PM EST

matt kemp getty Getty Images

Deadspin has obtained an alleged 15-minute audio recording of Clippers owner Donald Sterling spouting racist opinions about minorities during an April 9 conversation with then-mistress V. Stiviano. Deadspin’s version contains something that the original nine-minute tape from TMZ did not — a mention of a Major League Baseball player.

So let’s join all the other media outlets in the country and dive into this cesspool of bigotry. Here’s the relevant excerpt from Deadspin’s story:

Poor Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp is also dragged into the conversation, having appeared in an Instagram photo with V. Stiviano. It was her photo with Magic Johnson that had apparently started the fight.

V: Honey, if it makes you happy, I will remove all of the black people from my Instagram.

DS: You said that before, you said, “I understand.”

V: I DID remove the people that were independently on my Instagram that are black.

DS: Then why did you start saying that you didn’t? You just said that you didn’t remove them. You didn’t remove every—

V: I didn’t remove Matt Kemp and Magic Johnson, but I thought—

DS: Why?

V: I thought Matt Kemp is mixed, and he was OK, just like me.

DS: OK.

V: He’s lighter and whiter than me.

DS: OK.

V: I met his mother.

DS: You think I’m a racist, and wouldn’t—

V: I don’t think you’re a racist.

DS: Yes you do. Yes you do.

V: I think you, you—

DS: Evil heart.

The NBA is conducting an investigation into the veracity of the recording. LeBron James told reporters Saturday that if the audio is found to be legit, there is “no room for Donald Sterling in our league.”

Check out ProBasketballTalk for extensive coverage of this story. We’re hopefully done with it.

*********************

UPDATE, 3:40 p.m. ET: Kemp responded on Sunday: “Racism is kind of old.”

165 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. tfbuckfutter - Apr 27, 2014 at 12:33 PM

It’s impossible for Donald Sterling to be racist for 2 reasons:

1) His girlfriend is half black

and

2) We have a black president

So I’m sure this will all go away quickly and quietly.

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 27, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Sterling needs to get the McCourt Adios-MoFo treatment. For the good of the game, he’s got to go.

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 27, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Except for the 2 Billion dollar part of it. Man I didn’t realize how expensive it got to get rid of Major A-holes.

• historiophiliac - Apr 27, 2014 at 1:27 PM

White privilege, FC.

• atxjustin - Apr 27, 2014 at 2:17 PM

President Obama is half black as well. Amazing how that fact is so often ignored.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 27, 2014 at 2:19 PM

He also only half-craps on jokes.

• hojo20 - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:38 PM

I thought Obama was a pure black and not a mixed breed mutt.

• spetznaz777 - Apr 27, 2014 at 2:38 PM

just another day in the divided states of hypocrisy.

• fit4life2014 - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Your totally wrong… back in the days of slavery…. Slave owners had sex with black house girls… Were they racist? Yes Of Course! So just because he has a half black girlfriend absolutely 100% doesn’t exclude him from being a racist. His comments clearly show he is a racist.. By the way.. I’m white not black.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:29 PM

What an odd proportion of thumbs up and thumbs down votes in such a short period of time for a post that completely misses the point of the post it’s replying too.

• dmoas - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Folks… this is called SARCASM. Get it now?

• chadjones27 - Apr 28, 2014 at 4:35 PM

How were to know? He didn’t end it with “/SARCASM”

/SARCASM

• airjackie - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Your so right Donald is not racist but all those settlements in lost discriminations against him were nothing and what is the problem anyone many owners are racist. Americans have a right to be racist As for dating a women of color what our first US President George Washington was proud of his black son he had with a black slave woman as many other Presidents were. With the racist getting elected it gives racist the freedom to speak openly just like the Rancher Cliven Bundy did. Americans have to realize Blacks are not like whites and even valued less then animals. We can never allow this country to have another President of color just those 6 Presidents that passed for white are accepted.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Apr 27, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Americans have a right to be racist

Huh?

Are you normally this batsh!t insane, or did we win a prize?

• historiophiliac - Apr 27, 2014 at 4:39 PM

George Washington shot blanks and had no children, but thank you for playing. Perhaps you meant Thomas Jefferson’s slave children, but he was not proud of them…You bought one of those alt-history books didn’t you?

• historiophiliac - Apr 27, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Wait, I missed the presidents who passed the first time. Holy Schamoley! What??? That’s hilarious. I think you’ve gone well past Henry Ford-history reality territory.

• doctorofsmuganomics - Apr 27, 2014 at 4:51 PM

This was the best thing I’ve seen all day just based on how wrong it is.

I tip my hat. Now go back to pumping my my gas

• stehill51 - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Why not just say he a liberal Democrat so he can’t be racist??
      DS epitomizes the Democrat party. They perfected slavery, they created the KKK, they blocked Eisenhowers attempts to bring civil rights to bare, they fought desegregation, they elevated a Grand Wizard of the Klu Klux Klan to the Senate presidency…… but in recent years because of their willingness to bankrupt Americas children in order to create a dependency state that is destroying African American families…. they are somehow seen as the advocates of black America.
      When are African Americans going to wake up to the fact that they’re being played?

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Apr 27, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Nothing brings out the stupidity like a column on race.

• Kevin S. - Apr 28, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Donald Sterling has been a registered Republican since 1998. Also, google “The Southern Strategy” and then get back to me.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:49 PM

God you people are morons.

Even by internet standards.

• cur'68 - Apr 27, 2014 at 7:32 PM

This particular thread has a stoopid quotient too high to measure by everyday math. You guys be careful replying to these idjits, mmkay? Don’t want any of that stoopid on ya….

2. vivabear - Apr 27, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Donald Sterling must use the screen name “Old Gator.”

• cur'68 - Apr 27, 2014 at 12:40 PM

GFY

• Old Gator - Apr 27, 2014 at 12:53 PM

That’s OK. Belial Bradley goes by “sewerbear.”

3. koufaxmitzvah - Apr 27, 2014 at 12:35 PM

80+ year old racists with their 20+ year old mixed-race girlfriends.

PLUS

LA
    NBA
    TMZ

=

Bonfire of the Vanities, Part II: West Side.

Do it, Tom.

4. cur'68 - Apr 27, 2014 at 12:40 PM

I’m going to comment and sign off right here. After this I expect I’ll read a few people with the ever popular “don’t bring it up and it’ll go away!” Riiiiiiiiight. Sure it will.
    And of course those that love to shout: RACE BAITING!! RACE BAITING!!! and my fave “Playing The Race Card”. We’ve added a new one to the list with “My Black Wife” to go along with “My Best Friend is Black” so I expect another reiteration of that theme.

Can’t wait.

• vivabear - Apr 27, 2014 at 12:51 PM

please sign off permanently.

• Old Gator - Apr 27, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Sorry, little feller. Your requests don’t have any cred behind them.

• cur'68 - Apr 27, 2014 at 12:56 PM

GFY

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 28, 2014 at 3:33 PM

The truth still hurts your gentle sensibilities huh?
      You will be further suprised to learn “my black best friend” gave a heart wrenching eulogy at my Father’s funeral two weeks ago. He spoke about how my Father didn’t care what color your skin was. How he treated him as if he was “from his own seed.” Taught him about valuing family, hard work and to always do the right thing. You see…Richard’s Father committed suicide when Richard and I were 7 years old (just prior to Richard and I meeting during bantam league football).
      My Father was the only true Father figure Richard had. He actually had people clapping when he was finished. At a funeral no less!

5. phillysports1 - Apr 27, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Monster.

• Old Gator - Apr 27, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Excessive. Schmuck is adequate.

6. tfbuckfutter - Apr 27, 2014 at 12:55 PM

I think we can all agree that the real racist in this situation is his girlfriend for releasing the audio.

7. newy0rker - Apr 27, 2014 at 12:58 PM

His Gf is hot

8. historiophiliac - Apr 27, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Ol’ Racist Sterling remembers like it was yesterday when the Oklahoma legislature passed Senate Bill One establishing segregation — and it specifically said that anyone with ANY degree of African ancestry is black. Kemp knew what he was doing getting in that picture, then. His parents are felons, and they know it. I’m pretty sure he uses the wrong phone booth too. Sterling is just following the law. Maybe someday it won’t be 1907 and we won’t segregate public places and these Insta-grams anymore, but until then, he remains a man of his times. As Marge Schott used to say: “The dog lives here, Pete. You’re just visiting.” No, wait, it’s: “I am not a racist.” Yeah, that’s the one.

9. gbart22 - Apr 27, 2014 at 1:01 PM

If he was really racist and really think about this for a moment why would he make love to a mixed race woman also he’s a billionaire he can own any team he wants why would he own a team in a predominately black sport and in the process make African Americans multi millionaires? It doesn’t make much sense. What he said IF he did in fact say it and remember it’s alleged so we don’t know for sure is completely wrong but then again we all African Americans and other races alike say things in private or what we think is private that we shouldn’t about other people. I’d be more disturbed if he said these things to an employee.

• groupofsevenrules - Apr 27, 2014 at 1:17 PM

gbart22, howsabout you look up the term “miscegenation”? Many light skinned Black people are the descendents of not exactly consensual relations between slave women and their white overseers or owners. White racists with black or mulatto or quadroon mistresses represent a situation as old as slavery, reconstruction and the worst of lynch-era post reconstruction south – and the double standard persists. Testosterone and the male power drive tend to obscure the ideological content of bigotry when the opportunity presents itself. In addition to which, you’re really missing the point if you fail to realize that miscegenation is itself an aspect of racism.

• Old Gator - Apr 27, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Well put.

Brunch?

• historiophiliac - Apr 27, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Honey, he thinks they “make love.” I don’t think he gets it.

• groupofsevenrules - Apr 27, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Historiophiliac: he clearly does not get it.

Gator: Michelle called to book. It’s a mob scene over there. We had an hour to kill. But about now it’s time to head out. I could eat a beaver pelt.

Also, I had a few minutes to type up that recipe I mentioned, the baked trout. Check your inbox, and thanks for the one you sent with the feta cheese and panko breadcrumb stuffing.

• shawndc04 - Apr 28, 2014 at 12:04 PM

>>If he was really racist and really think about this for a moment why would he make love to a mixed race woman<<

Umm, remember Strom Thurmond? Are you going to say that he wasn't a racist?

10. keltictim - Apr 27, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Just curious , does it really matter if he’s a racist? His business should definitely be investigated for any possible racist practices, but absent that does it really matter? Allow the free market to handle it. Let’s say the tape is proven to be legit, then players refuse to sign contracts with the clippers, and the team will be forced to fold. I don’t think it’s right to forcibly remove him from his ownership for being racist, to me that’s no different than removing him for being a liberal or a conservative. His personal beliefs, no matter how wrong, are his personal beliefs, and he is entitled to them. As long as no laws have been broken them the market will take care of the problem.

• historiophiliac - Apr 27, 2014 at 1:13 PM

It’s nice that you think the market will fix things, but no. He’s been sued so many times for discrimination and apparently his settlement with the Justice Department for housing discrimination was a record-setter. People know he’s racist, but they buy the product anyway (because a lot of people don’t care, won’t use their economic power to fix these kinds of things, or are racist themselves). We are just enabling his discriminatory habits — and that goes against the public good. Plus, I understand the NBA rules are different than MLB, so they have more powers to use here.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 27, 2014 at 1:53 PM

I’d like to see the Clippers become an all-white team.

That would be….well…..I’d probably start watching non-playoff games if that happened. Just to see how it worked out.

• historiophiliac - Apr 27, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Also, no dunking because that’s reverse racism since white guys can’t jump.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 27, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Then we might as well be watching the WNBA at that point.

And no one has any interest in doing that because the next step is soccer.

And from there. Curling.

And then we’re all Canadian. And who on earth would want that?

• historiophiliac - Apr 27, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Thanks, Obama.

• cur'68 - Apr 27, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Hey!

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 27, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Shut up, honkey.

Not you. Sterling.

And also you.

• asimonetti88 - Apr 27, 2014 at 4:01 PM

tfbuckfutter – Apr 27, 2014 at 1:53 PM
        I’d like to see the Clippers become an all-white team.

—————————————————————————————————————————————

They’re called the Utah Jazz

• historiophiliac - Apr 27, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Ha ha, now buckfutter has to watch NBA games! You promised.

• raysfan1 - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Most don’t think about the owner of a team when deciding to spend entertainment dollars to watch a ball game. In other words, market economics will not make a bigot broke.

On the other hand, when an owner’s actions become enough of an embarrassment to the league as a whole, the league can suspend the owner. It remains to be seen if the NBA will do so as MLB did with Marge Schott, but they could.

11. pilonflats - Apr 27, 2014 at 1:30 PM

i almost feel sorry for kemp, but then again – im a giants fan…

12. ripwarrior - Apr 27, 2014 at 1:33 PM

You would think a Jew would be more tolerant.

• Old Gator - Apr 27, 2014 at 1:52 PM

No, you wouldn’t. There was a time I might have agreed with you but I was young and callow. I know better now. First of all, you ought to hear orthodox Jews talk about reform or even conservative Jews. And then, you ought to hear secular Jews talk about orthodox Jews. It’s pretty toxic stuff. Oh yes, and let’s listen to Jews, especially committed Zionists, talk about Arabs or Muslims (which are not necessarily the same thing). And finally, let’s listen to some suburban Jewish housewives talk about the lousy job “the shvartzer” did cleaning the master bathroom.

It would be nice indeed to think that Jews – or anyone else for that matter – would have learned from their own experiences of bigotry, but these biases are subjective and determined by one’s own ethnic or, especially, economic background. There aren’t any such simple formulae.

• vivabear - Apr 27, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Way to generalize Felcher.

• pilonflats - Apr 27, 2014 at 2:21 PM

…wow, its time for you to look in the mirror – way to be a “sterling”

• vivabear - Apr 27, 2014 at 2:34 PM

I agree, thus my comment above. Old Felcher, so ingrained with bigotry he doesn’t even realize how often it oozes out of him.

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 27, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Well, the Day School I attended in the Valley was named after a rabbi who stood with Martin Luther King, Jr, and me and my classmates were always reminded of that. I am prideful, too, of my Zionist beliefs that has stated many times we will take some land the size of a postage stamp (Israel = New Jersey in size, and compared to the rest of the US, New Jersey isn’t quite mentioned on a daily basis on the front pages of national news stories unless the governor is shutting down a bridge) in order to make the dream of autonomy bear fruitful. Furthermore, Gator, I am quite proud of Israel being the most openminded nation in that territory regarding Blacks, Gays, and, yes, Arabs. Israel is an open society, dear friend, and as much as you may dislike some of their principle political players, I know for a fact you wouldn’t want to blamed for the actions of Rick Scott.

• Old Gator - Apr 27, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Koufax: sorry, I don’t buy it.

As a Jew whose wife is also a religious school principal, we have to deal on a routine basis with the anti-Arab, anti-Muslim racism, and other subtler forms of racism, of some of our congregants and we’ve also asked to host – and been refused – discussions with the families of Palestinians who were summarily bulldozed off their farms and homes in the occupied territories to make room for “settlements.” This is all quite well documented. We wound up holding it as an interfaith discussion at a municipal facility. So much for open-mindedness.

Whereas I appreciate the positive elements of Israel’s democracy, and am the son of a man who built a hospital named after my parents in Ramat Aviv, I also refuse to hide my head in the sand about the serious abuses perpetrated by the state, ostensibly in the name of “security” but, in reality, to accommodate the right-wing orthodox parties – you know, the ones who throw rocks at women who work or go to school on the Sabbath and harass little girls in the street if they don’t wear head scarves, stuff like that.

Now, sewerbear’s utter ignorance of the issue – and, of course, his twisting my anti-racist statements into representing “racism” simply to further his own hateful obsession with me – notwithstanding, it’s easy to elide unprincipled behavior with principled comments. A few years ago we had a truly depressing problem on Miami Beach, where a local chabad, a small orthodox congregation, wanted to run an etuve around a part of the neighborhood – that’s just a plain old wire whose encirclement of an area qualifies it for some convenient exemptions from Shabbos behavioral prohibitions. The area is about 85% Jewish and the non-orthodox community went up in arms about it and fought to pass an ordinance prohibiting it. A wire. Strung along telephone poles. Twenty five feet in the air. To make life a little easier for observant members of their own religion. I went to the town hall meeting held to discuss it and I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a depressing display of internecine hostility and ignorance between members of the same faith. Ugly.

Now, if that drooling imbecile sewebear wants to try to represent my pointing things like that out as “generalization” when in fact it’s doing just the opposite, he can’t be stopped – matter of fact, the poor clown can’t even stop himself. I won’t pretend it isn’t happening any more than you can, with any logical consistency, construe my pointing out real and persistent troubling trends within Judaism as some sort of betrayal of it or rejection of it. The idea is to expose it and deal with it, not to run away from it.

And Rick Scott, loathsome as he is, has no bearing on any of this.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 27, 2014 at 5:03 PM

I have absolutely no idea what anyone is talking about, but I think I side with Gator on this one.

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 27, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Gator- It’s great you’re as connected as you are with both the Jewish and non-Jewish communities. It’s awesome to know your connection to Israel. I’m not going to hijack this post with a discussion about Israel other than to say that the face value of the comment I responded to is chock full of harmful generalizations. Just sayin’…. Everybody is an individual with their own decisions to make.

Would love to have a face-to-face about our own identities and what we see as the role of the State of Israel, but I’m not about to set foot in Florida (don’t want my face eaten).

Buckfutter – If you don’t know, you can’t decide. Message boards are the worst place to garner information on controversial issues. If anybody out there is interested in the intricacies of hot blooded controversial issues, go out there and do the research. Read books. Discover from different sources the answers to your questions. But, please, don’t rely on anonymous postings attached to news clippings on public message boards to tell you what you should believe.

• Old Gator - Apr 27, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Koufaxmitzvah: fair and reasonable enough. I suggest that your face is safe as long as you don’t spend your time sitting naked under the interstate smoking crack and drinking sterno. That sort of thing rarely occurs in the better hotels.

I should add that I absolutely support the right of existence of the state of Israel. I have been there many times, took two olpans there (when I was much younger), and both my wife and I have family there. Though I agree that this isn’t the place to debate about Israel, I will mention one story in connection with our Israeli family members. In December 1986-January 1987 my wife and I were in Israel visiting our cousins, slightly distant aunts and uncles. One of her cousins had recently gotten engaged to a Christian Palestinian Arab fellow and she and her fiancee invited us to his home in Bethlehem for a little welcome party his parents were going to throw for the two American and British relatives. It was an optimistic time, as the Palestinians still fully expected that Israel would facilitate their statehood under the Camp David agreements within a reasonable time. We moved about the city easily and without anxiety, and we were treated with kindness and generosity by everyone we met, Christian and Muslim alike. Within a year, of course, the Palestinians realized that the Israelis were merely stalling them, the settlement policy had accelerated, and the following December the first intifadeh broke out. Our cousin’s wedding was broken off due to opposition from her would be in-laws. A few years later, she married someone else and told us that no Jew in their right mind would walk around in Bethlehem without an armed escort. The peace was there for the taking; the Israelis, trying to grab a few more acres for their expansionist right wing hardliners, had blown it. And that palpable sense of optimism was totally dissipated, replaced by bitterness, mistrust and hatred. And so it stands today. Worst of all, Israel has managed, in the intervening years, to fritter away an enormous amount of its former sympathy and international support.

I’ve often heard it said of the Palestinians that “they never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.” It’s surely true that they have to a large extent been their own worst enemies at many intersections. Even so, the hypocrisy of that analysis, considering what could genuinely have been if Israel had honored its promises in a timely manner, breaks my heart.

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:47 AM

It took Arafat until the 1990s to shake hands with Yitzhak Rabin which, as you should know, kicked off the Oslo peace process. It took 7 years of Oslo for Clinton to map out the potential Palestinian state. It took a weekend at Camp David in 2000 for Ehud Barak (Rabin had been assassinated in 1994 by right wing whacko) to offer the 97% + 3% land swap, and it took Arafat 1 minute to reject it. I and the rest of Israel are still waiting for the counter-proposal.

If you really are wondering about the Time it takes to make a state offer, tell me, how long does it take to make a counter-proposal?

Ah…. And then it took a couple weeks for Arafat to start the 2nd Intifada which was placed at the feet of Israel because Ariel Sharon took a stroll around the Kotel on the week of Rosh Hashana for strictly security purposes. And why would Israel be concerned for security at the Western Wall? Oh, you know…. Rocks. Missiles. Suicide bombs.

2nd Intifada = blowing up pizzerias

Nope. Sorry, Gator. We’re going to have to agree to disagree on the ME.

• Old Gator - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Yes we will, but that’s OK. The key here is that the settlements continued to go up, Palestinians continued to be pushed off their land, and that prior to the first intifadeh – whose tactics I do not condone – those people expected them to stop, and for their state to be granted. The settlement expansion didn’t stop. In fact, while on that same visit in 1986-87 visit we were taken along on a Histadrut tour of new West Bank settlements, some of which had just been completed, for some of which ground was just being broken, and for all of which the ownership of centuries by Palestinians had been summarily nullified. We wondered how much longer that was going to be allowed to go on.

When we got home I took my father aside and told him what we had seen, and asked him not to let the UJA or Histadrut or any of the other organizations with which he had been philanthropically active use our family’s contributions for any west bank settlement financing or services but to limit their use to Jerusalem (whose inviolability I do support) and within the state boundaries established in ’48. I left it to him to use his conscience, but I don’t know if he ever acted on it. I do know that during the both Intifadehs and all subsequent conflicts during his lifetime, he made sure that the medical facilities of the hospital that bears his and my mothers’ name would be fully available to Palestinians injured in the uprising.

Arafat was a corrupt class-A thug and murderer but he was handed his reasons for turning down the Israeli proposals on a silver platter. The Palestinian people were ready and eager for a fair settlement right up to the months before the first uprising. We were there. On the ground. Amongst them. We saw it, felt it. Believed it would happen. Everyone who just wanted peace and to be able to go about their business was betrayed by their leaders on both sides.

The assassination of Rabin, which was surely one of the most catastrophic events of the entire scenario, was indicative of the monstrosity the Israeli political system had incubated within itself with its incremental sops to its orthodox right wing, a monstrosity with which it continues to deal to this day.

I do hope no one is still waiting for a response from Arafat although, as you might as well have pointed out, it doesn’t seem to make any difference whether he’s dead or alive as far as this issue is concerned.

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Gator- Any chance you may want to continue the dialogue on another forum? I’ve got a linked blog which is dormant at the moment, but you can reach me there if you like.

I bet you more than anything whatever differences there are between us is miniscule compared to the differences between the 2 parties in our country (even if the 2 parties often feel like 1 party). In terms of land. In terms of State. Our only difference are shades of definition and perspective.

The point, I think, is to flexible. That’s my personal worldview. For peace to achieve, I need to be flexible.

• asimonetti88 - Apr 27, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Unfortunately there are racists in all cultures, even those with a history of oppression.

• Old Gator - Apr 27, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Careful about “generalizing” like that – you may have an idiot like sewerbear accuse you of racism for it.

• vivabear - Apr 27, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Its a terrible thing to be blinded my your own bigotry.

• vivabear - Apr 27, 2014 at 7:58 PM

*by

• Old Gator - Apr 27, 2014 at 9:06 PM

I doubt if it’s bigotry in your case. Mindless compulsive hostility, an inability to read what’s right in front of you, and stupidity, would more than account for it by themselves.

• vivabear - Apr 27, 2014 at 9:25 PM

More proof how utterly moronic you are, Old Felcher. It’s your bigotry that is blinding you.

• Old Gator - Apr 27, 2014 at 10:50 PM

I doubt if anyone fails to see through your lame rhetorical gambits, sewerbear. If I mentioned that pythons laid eggs, you’d find some way to twist that into proof of my “bigotry” when you’d only be confirming everyone’s perception that it proves you are compulsively, hopelessly rotten with spite and envy.

• groupofsevenrules - Apr 27, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Hey Gator – saw “Transcendance” today. You might like it. Depp is his quirky superb usual self. Also saw the Godzilla trailer. It looked awful – all the attention invested in the special effects and the acting we could glean from the voiceovers sounded high school play bad. I get why you’re suffering from a bit of heartsink over it. Are you going to see it or give it a miss?

Speaking of terrible acting, I see sewerbear is actually still hacking away, oblivious to how ridiculous he’s making himself look. He has no frontiers in that regard, apparently. I’ll have something a little more lucid to say about how his “bigotry” delusions operate and what their object might be tomorrow. Right now, I have to reset my circadian rhythms and see if I can find a way to fall asleep tonight.

• sandrafluke2012 - Apr 27, 2014 at 11:58 PM

[Comment Deleted, Commenter Banned]

• vivabear - Apr 28, 2014 at 12:06 AM

Why would you think I’d ever be envious of a bigot?

• Old Gator - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:33 AM

I don’t expect any of your reasons for anything to be rational, sewerber. You are one sick, sick, infantile puppy.

• Old Gator - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Seven: dozed orf before I saw this. Yeah, it looks like the film is going to be awful: just a hi-tech iteration of the Toho rubber-suit muppet movies that followed the original film. As far as Transcendance, it’s on my short list. Most Depp films are.

Sandrafluke: unfortunately Debbie is not my area representative. I would be proud to have her representing me: she is smart, savvy, works her ass off and actually gives a damn about the people in her district, even the dimwitted knuckledraggers like you. Instead, I’m stuck with that prehistoric throwback, Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, who patriotically urged Elian Gonzalez’ distant relatives to spit on the repeated rulings of our court system and urged the United States to add the political kidnapping of children to our armory of foreign policy options and would happily vote to discontinue the hard-won healthcare benefits that the Obama administration has made possible for millions of low income Americans.

• groupofsevenrules - Apr 28, 2014 at 10:30 AM

(Groan) Got maybe four hours of real sleep. While I wait for my hormonal hangover to reset itself and for my – what do you call it, OG, “liquid pacemaker”? – to take effect, nothing appeals to me less than thinking over yet another intractable dimension of sewerbear’s pathologies. Later today, when I’ve cleaned the cobwebs out and probably had a kip.

Michelle picked up panko, basil and some crumbled feta at the market yesterday. Now all I have to do is catch a goddamned trout or two to give your recipe a try. I have never ever paid for a trout at a fishmongers and I never will.

13. keltictim - Apr 27, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Thanks for sharing that stuff about his past transgressions I wasn’t aware since I detest basketball. I think we can admit though that there is a large difference in people choosing not to live in housing as a form of protest, especially is it’s affordable housing which is very difficult to come by, and already wealthy NBA players choosing not to sign with him as a form of protest. People need housing, players don’t need to sign with the clippers. Also I have to believe the ad revenue he is going to lose will be monstrous. Is he the sole owner, or simply the majority owner? Regardless removing him for his views just doesn’t sit right with me, unless he is just the majority owner and the rest of the ownership group votes to buy him out. It’s a slippery slope, like I said previously. If you remove him for racist views it sets a precedent that could potentially be used to remove a liberal, or a conservative. No ma’am I don’t like it no matter how awful the things he said are, it’s still not illegal to be a jack hole, nor should it be.

• historiophiliac - Apr 27, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Why is it on players to forgo their livelihood to correct his views? That’s unfair. Plus, it puts hungry young players at a disadvantage. Someone will always sign with the Clippers and Marlins because they want to make it.

He probably will lose lots of ad revenue and only get fined (which obviously will not stop him from discriminating, as he’s paid out before and continues in his ways). It’s super-lousy for the fans who have to choose between supporting a racist and being proud of the home team. They should talk to Indians fans. Oh.

14. agelardi - Apr 27, 2014 at 1:40 PM

That conversation is hilarious in it’s absurdity… if it weren’t so disgusting.

15. racksie - Apr 27, 2014 at 2:30 PM

I believe the phrase “tire fire” is completely appropriate regarding this whole mess.

• American of African Descent - Apr 27, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Yes. And they have white walls to accommodate Sterling’s preferences.

• historiophiliac - Apr 27, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Nice.

16. tfbuckfutter - Apr 27, 2014 at 2:43 PM

“I can’t be racist. I have a half black girlfriend and a colored TV”

#ThingsDonaldSterlinghasprobablysaid

17. keltictim - Apr 27, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Not sure what I don’t get. There are plenty of teams for hungry young players to sign with, as well as a D league, and European league. Nobody said taking a stand wouldn’t hurt. It almost always does. Plus last time I checked LA has two home teams to support, they even play in the same building, so that’s not a valid statement. What part don’t you get about our freedom? We live in America, which entitles us to think and believe horrible racist things, so long as we don’t break the law. Do you not see a problem with removing this mans “property” (horrible word given the subject matter, but he owns the team making it his property) for his beliefs is right? Did we remove the owner of chic fil a for his views? No, the people spoke by either eating there or not, how is this any different?

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 27, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Your rules of the market do not apply. The NBA, like MLB and NFL, is a monopoly. And never mind how the owners of these franchises bear the responsibility of running a public trust. People of all walks of life identify with the ballclub despite the politics of the owner. But if the owner is a bigot who continues to embarrass the league by putting his foot in his mouth, then something needs to be done. For the good of the League, Sterling needs to go.

He invested millions and has made over a billion. The business of NBA basketball has paid him handsomely. He can go away now, and we’ll all be better for it.

• doctorofsmuganomics - Apr 27, 2014 at 2:59 PM

‘Murica!

• doctorofsmuganomics - Apr 27, 2014 at 4:52 PM

How dare someone thumb that down. What are you, a heathen?

• American of African Descent - Apr 27, 2014 at 9:03 PM

In order to own a professional team in a major sports league you agree to relinquish certain property rights that you would have in the general free market. So when Marge Schott went off the reservation in the late nineties, MLB issued a suspension to keep her from further poisoning the league’s image. Think about a McDonald’s franchisee who was mucking up his restaurant—perhaps by insulting McDonald’s customers. In such a case, the McDonald’s corporate office would issue discipline and could ultimately force the franchisee to give up his franchise. The issue with Chick-Fil-A’s corporate owner is completely different. (If you don’t understand why, take a course on business organization.)

So no, I don’t see a problem with the NBA “removing” Sterling’s property. Sterling will have to sell to a new ownership group. And, in my opinion, that forced sale cannot come soon enough.

18. tccoats - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:01 PM

funny how no one is questioning the authenticity of the female’s voice….so i guess she was having a conversation with herself and then through hours and hours of audio tape of sterlings voice, she spliced together his comments……

• historiophiliac - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:19 PM

How did we get so far in before someone went with the sexist angle? I’m starting to have hope!

• doctorofsmuganomics - Apr 27, 2014 at 4:28 PM

That’s adorable.

• historiophiliac - Apr 27, 2014 at 4:47 PM

I know you are, but what am I?

19. yahmule - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:06 PM

So now people are finally upset about Donald Sterling’s virulent racism when he’s taped insulting famous black people, but he was in line for an NAACP award when he was callously evicting black people by the truckload. We have such a warped culture.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:11 PM

A good P.R. firm can obscure a lot of things.

• yahmule - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Are you kidding me? Donald Sterling has been well known as an appalling human being since forever. Magic Johnson’s and Matt Kemp’s feelings apparently mean more than the countless racially motivated evictions he’s been responsible over the years.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:23 PM

I’m aware of his past issues.

But they weren’t a huge public relations nightmare. It’s not that the public didn’t care, it’s that it never blew up. TMZ didn’t cover it. Unless you follow the NBA, or live where it’s local news, you aren’t likely to be aware of it.

• yahmule - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:30 PM

All the people flipping out right now and calling for his head follow the NBA. They’ve known damn well what this guy is and they’ve known it for years, but suddenly they’re acting shocked. Shocked, I tell you. What a pathetic celebrity obsessed culture. I really hope Magic, Matt and the other maligned friends of this prostitute can get over this awful episode.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Apr 27, 2014 at 4:32 PM

J.A. Adande:
        When it comes to the latest Donald Sterling story, I’m surprised at the surprise.

And if the NBA does anything about it?

That would be a surprise, too.

If you’ve paid attention to the NBA before TMZ dropped an audio file of tape of what it said was a conversation between Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling and his girlfriend, then Sterling’s disparaging view of African-Americans shouldn’t come as a shock.

It fits right in with a man who paid a record $2.75 million to settle a federal housing discrimination lawsuit that included accusations that Sterling and his wife made statements “indicating that African-Americans and Hispanics were not desirable tenants and that they preferred Korean tenants.”

Scoop Jackson:
        Please, let’s not all of a sudden act like: (1) What Donald Sterling allegedly said on the recording is a surprise, and (2) that Donald Sterling is an anomaly.

Kevin Blackistone

The big issue is that Clippers are a good team now. When they were bottom feeders, no one really cared about what the old racist said, but then the league steered CP3 Sterling’s way, and combined with Griffin they’ve been one of the better teams in the league. The league has enabled Sterling and it’s now biting them in the butt.

• yahmule - Apr 27, 2014 at 11:51 PM

“Who do you mean by “all the people”? Those whose jobs are involved with following the NBA have known for years.”

Exactly my point. People have known about his loathsome nature for years, but now its a problem. Because of his words. Never mind his racist actions that directly hurt people over a long period of years. Why weren’t Clippers players or Magic or Michael or Charles or Lebron or Snoop or President Obama speaking out when this guy was pissing all over poor people?

I’m still amazed that putting old ladies out to live under a bridge is less troubling than two disgusting people having a disgusting conversation.

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:56 AM

Yahmule- The reason is the spotlight. Does anyone think this conversation is having if the Clippers aren’t in the playoffs? Does anyone think the celebs are making it to the “Clip Joint” if Chris Paul/Blake Griffin aren’t the new LA dynamic duo?

Sterling was sticking around LA (and not moving the club to Anaheim) so that he can maintain his piece of the LA pie. As crappy a piece as it was for the two decades they had played there, he preferred being the other fish in the small pond, waiting for the big fish to bite the hook. Well, this year it happened and thankfully, Sterling can’t outshine the spotlight.

It doesn’t take much scratching at the surface to find the KKKrap lying beneath, but folks need to be interested enough to look.

• yahmule - Apr 28, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Nope. The reason is because nobody gives a damn about poor people. I remember people rallying to Michael Vick’s defense when he got out of prison who couldn’t give the slightest damn about the other one million incarcerated black people in this country. None of these people will give a damn about Vick after he retires and he winds up broke as a joke, either.

20. keltictim - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:15 PM

First off, an NBA team is in no way a public trust in any way shape or form. The closest thing to a publicly owned and traded sports franchise is the Green Bay Packers, every other team is a privately held entity. Saying it must be done for the “good of the league” is way to close to a communist agenda for my tastes. What’s next? No players can have tattoos? They are scary, we must get rid of them for the good of the league. Don’t tell me stuff like that will never happen, that’s exactly how this stuff starts.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Removing a racist owner and then banning tattoos.

That’s the plan.

• doctorofsmuganomics - Apr 27, 2014 at 4:10 PM

My god, where will it end?

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 28, 2014 at 8:01 AM

If you have an anti-trust exemption like all the major sports leagues do, then, yes, you have a public trust. Owners may be allowed to move their franchises, but they generally need permission from the League to do it. (Not sure what happened with the Colts, but I believe NFL supported their midnight move.) The fans are who the League fleeces for the money to redistribute amongst the owners and players

I don’t understand this multiple thread creation thing you’ve got going on except to suggest that you don’t want immediate responses to your immediate responses. Whatevs.

21. keltictim - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:32 PM

A suspension is definitely warranted. That is entirely different than removing his ownership. Suspension, massive fine, community service, and possibly a publicly stated apology is the way to go here. As far as his land lord case goes I’m not really familiar with the particulars of it, but I would question several things. What’s the demographic of the area in which he’s a landlord? If it’s an area heavily populated by black people then of course the lions share of his evictions are going to be black people. What are the reasons for the evictions? Just because he’s evicting large numbers of minorities doesn’t mean the evictions aren’t warranted. It could be a situation like Coke. When Deval Patrick was trying to make a name for himself he went after the upper management of the soft drink company by claiming that the lack of minorities in upper management clearly indicated a racist culture at the company. With that being the only evidence of racism, Deval was able to completely alter comes hiring practices as well as get a hefty fine out of them and a job for himself. Now instead of hiring the best candidates coke has to make sure they hire a certain quota of minorities. Some up and coming lawyer could have seen how many minorities were being evicted and went after Sterling using the same attack tactic, although this tape brings serious doubt his innocence now. Screaming about an innocent mans perceived racism is just as bad as being an actual racist if you ask me.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:34 PM

You really should read Deadspin’s coverage of his issues instead of asking questions and trying to defend him.

I’m really being helpful by telling you that. You REALLY should read it before posting again.

• yahmule - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:36 PM

If you’re “not really familiar with the particulars”, why don’t you go about doing that before you worry too much about whether an innocent man is being accused?

“JUST EVICT THE BITCH.” It was 2002, and Donald Sterling was talking to Sumner Davenport, one of his four top property supervisors, about a tenant at the Ardmore Apartments. Already the largest landowner in Beverly Hills, Sterling had recently acquired the Ardmore as part of his move to extend his real estate empire eastward toward Koreatown and downtown LA. As he did, Sterling “wanted tenants that fit his image,” according to testimony Davenport gave in a discrimination lawsuit brought against Sterling in 2003 by 19 tenants and the nonprofit Housing Rights Center.

Cultivating his image, Davenport said, meant no blacks, no Mexican-Americans, no children (whom Sterling called “brats”) and no government-housing-subsidy recipients as tenants. So according to the testimony of tenants, Sterling employees made life difficult for residents in some of his new buildings. They refused rent checks, then accused renters of nonpayment. They refused to do repairs for black tenants and harassed them with surprise inspections, threatening residents with eviction for alleged violations of building rules.

When Sterling first bought the Ardmore, he remarked on its odor to Davenport. “That’s because of all the blacks in this building, they smell, they’re not clean,” he said, according to Davenport’s testimony. “And it’s because of all of the Mexicans that just sit around and smoke and drink all day.” He added: “So we have to get them out of here.” Shortly after, construction work caused a serious leak at the complex. When Davenport surveyed the damage, she found an elderly woman, Kandynce Jones, wading through several inches of water in Apartment 121. Jones was paralyzed on the right side and legally blind. She took medication for high blood pressure and to thin a clot in her leg. Still, she was remarkably cheerful, showing Davenport pictures of her children, even as some of her belongings floated around her.

Davenport reported what she saw to Sterling, and according to her testimony, he asked: “Is she one of those black people that stink?” When Davenport told Sterling that Jones wanted to be reimbursed for the water damage and compensated for her ruined property, he replied: “I am not going to do that. Just evict the bitch.”

Repairs never came. The shower stopped working, and the toilet wouldn’t flush; Jones needed to use a plunger and disposed of waste tissue in bags. Kandynce Jones departed the home she loved but that caused her so much grief when she passed away, on July 21, 2003, at age 67.

22. dmoas - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:54 PM

The thing that bothers me about the audio is that her voice just sounds very scripted. And rather poorly at that. Her words aren’t coming together like it’s part of the natural flow of a conversation, but instead like someone who’s reading their lines from a script. I’m not going to make any claims on the authenticity of this just based on that, but I really wouldn’t be surprised if the conversation is found to be faked. HOWEVER, that doesn’t excuse certain aspects of his half of the audio. That part sounds too fluid and natural not to mention it sounds as if recorded at the same time. It’s very easily to add a lead in to someone to make them sound worse than they are, but even if that were the case, there’s still some questionable material in there.

23. tfbuckfutter - Apr 27, 2014 at 3:58 PM

This belongs here.

This actually belongs everywhere.

• cur'68 - Apr 27, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Trying to win the internets today, tfb? if so, good effort. Really good effort.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 27, 2014 at 4:21 PM

I was reminded by historio that Chaco retweeted that.

So I can take absolutely no credit.

• historiophiliac - Apr 27, 2014 at 4:50 PM

I’m the power behind the honkey!

• doctorofsmuganomics - Apr 27, 2014 at 4:17 PM

…Well, was it his handwriting?

Cliffhangers. Cliffhangers everywhere

• asimonetti88 - Apr 27, 2014 at 4:29 PM

That’s awesome lol

• historiophiliac - Apr 27, 2014 at 4:51 PM

It seems too good to be true, doesn’t it? I hope it’s real. It might be the funniest thing I’ve ever read.

24. mutasian - Apr 27, 2014 at 4:23 PM

nah. ds is not racist nor evil heart. he just wants prove he is totally not color blind.

25. AZ Dem - Apr 27, 2014 at 5:19 PM

I’m no fan of Sterling, but on this, the guy’s not getting a fair shake. This woman obviously made this tape with the intention of extorting money from him.

She’s playing Sterling like a virtuoso plays a violin. She’s baiting him, setting him up. (I suspect that she’s a high end prostitute. The kind that provides full-service companionship, not tawdry sex.)

Please, do not read the transcripts. Listen to the recording. Sterling is not in a rational state of mind. He’s either crying or fighting back tears throughout almost all of it. This woman is putting him through the ringer.

I honestly believe that Sterling was not talking about black people. In general. He was only talking about the black guys she’s been f

Don’t read the transcripts. Listen to the tape. Sterling is either crying or holding back tears. He’s not in his right mind.

And before we judge, who is this woman? She seems like a high end hooker to me. It’s pretty clear that she made this tape in order to extort money from him. It’s been reported that she milked him for $1.8M. Guess that’s not enough.

Put into context, there’s no evidence on those tapes that says that Sterling objects to all black people. Just the ones she’s been f**king. I’m hearing a guy who is saying, you can have sex with anybody you want, just don’t broadcast it.

Sterling is in a deluded state of mind. Nothing he says makes much sense. He’s separated from his wife; he gets involved with this gold-digging trollop.

• historiophiliac - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:32 PM

GFY

• indaburg - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:54 PM

I don’t care if he’s crying tears of blood. His words are vile and should be condemmed by anyone with any sense of decency. I agree with you on one point–he’s in a deluded state of mind. Judging by his history of racist comments and behavior, his delusion has lasted his entire life.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Apr 27, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Probably news to Matt Kemp and Magic Johnson, two people specifically mentioned in the transcript.

Let’s try to look at this objectively. In the blue corner, we have:

Woman, girlfriend of Sterling, made a tape, possibly illegally, and under an embezzlement lawsuit by Sterling’s estranged wife. Not the greatest character, but jilted lovers find a way to ruin another person’s life? Story at 11

And in the red corner we have:

Donald Sterling, settled one of, if not the biggest, housing discrimination lawsuits with the Department of Justice. Settled at least one sexual harassment lawsuit and defeated an age discrimination lawsuit brought on by former employee, Elgin Baylor. Known racist (see DoJ lawsuit) who seems to enjoy trolling for hookers, and doesn’t mind sexually harassing women.

Who should we believe?

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 28, 2014 at 8:07 AM

I can’t believe what DS and VS actually made love. More like they got naked before and after exchanging gifts.

What’s love go to do with it?

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4766)