Apr 27, 2014, 12:29 PM EST
Deadspin has obtained an alleged 15-minute audio recording of Clippers owner Donald Sterling spouting racist opinions about minorities during an April 9 conversation with then-mistress V. Stiviano. Deadspin’s version contains something that the original nine-minute tape from TMZ did not — a mention of a Major League Baseball player.
So let’s join all the other media outlets in the country and dive into this cesspool of bigotry. Here’s the relevant excerpt from Deadspin’s story:
Poor Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp is also dragged into the conversation, having appeared in an Instagram photo with V. Stiviano. It was her photo with Magic Johnson that had apparently started the fight.
V: Honey, if it makes you happy, I will remove all of the black people from my Instagram.
DS: You said that before, you said, “I understand.”
V: I DID remove the people that were independently on my Instagram that are black.
DS: Then why did you start saying that you didn’t? You just said that you didn’t remove them. You didn’t remove every—
V: I didn’t remove Matt Kemp and Magic Johnson, but I thought—
V: I thought Matt Kemp is mixed, and he was OK, just like me.
V: He’s lighter and whiter than me.
V: I met his mother.
DS: You think I’m a racist, and wouldn’t—
V: I don’t think you’re a racist.
DS: Yes you do. Yes you do.
V: I think you, you—
DS: Evil heart.
The NBA is conducting an investigation into the veracity of the recording. LeBron James told reporters Saturday that if the audio is found to be legit, there is “no room for Donald Sterling in our league.”
Check out ProBasketballTalk for extensive coverage of this story. We’re hopefully done with it.
UPDATE, 3:40 p.m. ET: Kemp responded on Sunday: “Racism is kind of old.”
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 17
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 91
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)