Apr 27, 2014, 12:29 PM EDT
Deadspin has obtained an alleged 15-minute audio recording of Clippers owner Donald Sterling spouting racist opinions about minorities during an April 9 conversation with then-mistress V. Stiviano. Deadspin’s version contains something that the original nine-minute tape from TMZ did not — a mention of a Major League Baseball player.
So let’s join all the other media outlets in the country and dive into this cesspool of bigotry. Here’s the relevant excerpt from Deadspin’s story:
Poor Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp is also dragged into the conversation, having appeared in an Instagram photo with V. Stiviano. It was her photo with Magic Johnson that had apparently started the fight.
V: Honey, if it makes you happy, I will remove all of the black people from my Instagram.
DS: You said that before, you said, “I understand.”
V: I DID remove the people that were independently on my Instagram that are black.
DS: Then why did you start saying that you didn’t? You just said that you didn’t remove them. You didn’t remove every—
V: I didn’t remove Matt Kemp and Magic Johnson, but I thought—
V: I thought Matt Kemp is mixed, and he was OK, just like me.
V: He’s lighter and whiter than me.
V: I met his mother.
DS: You think I’m a racist, and wouldn’t—
V: I don’t think you’re a racist.
DS: Yes you do. Yes you do.
V: I think you, you—
DS: Evil heart.
The NBA is conducting an investigation into the veracity of the recording. LeBron James told reporters Saturday that if the audio is found to be legit, there is “no room for Donald Sterling in our league.”
Check out ProBasketballTalk for extensive coverage of this story. We’re hopefully done with it.
UPDATE, 3:40 p.m. ET: Kemp responded on Sunday: “Racism is kind of old.”
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 0
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 5
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 24
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 29
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 349
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (183)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)