Matt Kemp responds to alleged Donald Sterling audio that included his name: “Racism is kind of old”

Apr 27, 2014, 3:40 PM EST

matt kemp dodgers getty Getty Images

In a recorded conversation alleged to have taken place on April 9 between Clippers owner Donald Sterling and then-mistress V. Stiviano, the name of Dodgers center fielder Matt Kemp is mentioned.

Sterling expresses to Stiviano that he doesn’t want her posting pictures on Instagram that show her associating with minority men — like Kemp and Dodgers part-owner Magic Johnson. You can read the transcript from Deadspin at this link.

Kemp was asked about Sterling’s purported comments before Sunday’s series finale against the Rockies at Dodger Stadium and summed up this controversy in one simple sentence …

Sterling is old, and his opinions are old, and the world will be better off when he goes away.

Kemp, who likes to be active in Los Angeles, also said he’d find it “tough” to attend a future Clippers game.

1. doctorofsmuganomics - Apr 27, 2014 at 4:30 PM

DS needs to face charges on the crime of simply owning the Clippers.

….Are the Clippers good this year?

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Apr 27, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Up 2-1 in the series vs Golden State, but currently getting destroyed in G4.

• doctorofsmuganomics - Apr 27, 2014 at 4:41 PM

I see.

I don’t follow much basketball outside the hometown Pistons, so I haven’t had to worry about basketball since 2005

2. Kevin S. - Apr 27, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Winner.

• clydeserra - Apr 27, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Racism is uncool. Pedophilia, still on the fence about that one.

3. thomas844 - Apr 27, 2014 at 4:38 PM

“Racism is kind of old.”

Pretty big understatement, there.

• jwbiii - Apr 27, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Many wish that was the case.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Racism is the result of profound ignorance. The cure is a large dose of accurate information, but for it to work, the patient must understand they have a problem.

• Professor Fate - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:42 PM

I think it’s more laziness than ignorance. I’ve known some pretty intelligent people who were racist. They made no effort to understand those they chose to dislike. For a disappointingly large number of people across the human spectrum it is apparently easier to succumb to evolutionary biases instead of exercising the intelligence they do have to make informed judgments about individuals. Instead they choose the easy way out and lump whole populations into convenient labels. We see this in politics as well.

• Gamera the Brave - Apr 27, 2014 at 11:19 PM

“I think it’s more laziness than ignorance.”

This.

4. chiadam - Apr 27, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Simple but true. Of all the stupid things to hate a human being over, the color of his or her skin is at the top of the list. How does the hard-working African American family with a child that is a Clippers fan feel today? I know how I’d feel if the owner of a team that I spent my limited discretionary income on told me that I was not welcome in his building.

• clydeserra - Apr 28, 2014 at 12:06 AM

how about a hard working clipper fan of any race?

5. spyder9669 - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:20 PM

We all know Matt Kemp likes to be active in LA all right….except for on the field where you can always find his name on the list of inactives.

• Professor Fate - Apr 27, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Ah, I see the disinformation train has pulled into the station.

Kemp came up in ’06 and played in 52 games.
      ’07- 98 games
      ’08- 155 games
      ’09- 159 games
      ’10- 162 games
      ’11- 161 games
      ’12- 106 games
      ’13- 73 games

Yeah, I see what you mean. Such a delicate player. Five straight years of 100+ games, gets hurt last year, obviously “always…on the list of inactives.”

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 27, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Be nice, he’s probably only been a fan since last year, hence the misperception. You know how those bandwagon folks are.

6. mazblast - Apr 27, 2014 at 10:24 PM

I’ll bet that the Vegas books won’t even take a bet against the Clippers now. They know David Stern, through his sock puppets, has ordered that the Clips be eliminated from the playoffs–as if the Clippers couldn’t lose the series to the Warriors on their own as is.

• clydeserra - Apr 28, 2014 at 12:07 AM

thumbs down form the folks that still cling to the belief that basketball isn’t fixed

7. issacsimon - Apr 28, 2014 at 12:40 AM

Went to today’s game. Matt changed his at bat music to Michael Jackson’s Black or White. I thought that was a good response.

8. sawxalicious - Apr 28, 2014 at 3:25 AM

Well, the Clippers owner does seem pretty ignorant to me. Now if he were to say something like, “don’t take a picture with Matt Kemp, his OPS and WAR were below my expectations the past two years,” that would be acceptable. But to rant about folks for the color of their skin, disregarding the content of their character (which Magic and Kemp appear to be poster children for nice manners and decency) is simply terrible. I am usually on the opposite side of Craig’s left-leaning diatribes, but there is no way anyone could defend this situation. It’s just bad, and I would normally not call for the ouster of a front office person or owner for a private conversation they had with someone else, but I believe this reveals the owner’s true feelings which have NO place in today’s day and age (or any day and age for that matter). He has the 1st Amendment right to say what he wants, but we all have the right to stay away from any arena his teams go to. If the Clippers players decided to not play until he was removed, I would support that. Someone once said if you don’t stand for something, then you’ll fall for anything.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (6007)