Adam Dunn picked up a dinner tab for Scott Carroll and 30+ people last night

Apr 28, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT

Yesterday, after years in the minors, pitcher Scott Carroll made his major league debut. He went seven and two-thirds and allowed only one earned run in picking up the win over David Price and the Rays.

His family was there and cameras caught his mother breaking down in tears at her boy’s performance. But after the emotion, everyone had to eat. Up steps Adam Dunn:

Here’s O’Toole’s menu if you want to go there sometime. Don’t count on Dunn picking up the tab, though.

What a nice move.

1. cur'68 - Apr 28, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Adam Dunn:
    /hat tip

Scott Caroll: please beat The Yankees, too. A lot.

• aresachaela - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Noooooooooo :-( !!

• cur'68 - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:59 PM

XD

2. deep64blue - Apr 28, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Class act, Mr Dunn.

3. El Bravo - Apr 28, 2014 at 5:44 PM

A true Dunnscout.

4. georgewashingtonsghost - Apr 28, 2014 at 5:51 PM

I love hearing these type of stories. Class move by A.D.

5. babyfarkmcgeezax - Apr 28, 2014 at 5:54 PM

What was Dunn thinking? You don’t earn a rookie’s trust by treating him like a human, you earn it by hazing and humiliating him, everyone knows that.

6. mikhelb - Apr 28, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Good gesture by Dunn, I love reading about those types of gestures by stablished baseball players picking up the tab for rookies who in return someday they’ll do it to.

Bravo Mr. Dunn. Bravo.

7. largebill - Apr 28, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Dunn has always come across as a decent regular guy. Living in Cincinnati it bugged the crap out of me how the fools on the Reds broadcast constantly dumped on Dunn. Idiots acted as if Dunn drawing walks somehow hurt the team. Same idiots think Votto ought to swing at pitches out of the strike zone as well.

• jm91rs - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:21 PM

I remember them crapping on Dunn for a perceived lack of effort in the field and for basically being a home run or nothing guy.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:27 AM

I am with you Bill. All of my Redlegs loving buddies were used to harp on him all the time. I mean…they were all over him. Then…he leaves and almost immediately they are railing on the fact that he wasn’t on the team. It’s “we sure could use some pop in this lineup.” Or, “the Reds need some long ball hitters.” Sometimes you truly don’t know what you have until it’s gone!

8. rbj1 - Apr 28, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Well done. Much better than forcing rookies to fund your Vegas trip.

9. pbastille - Apr 28, 2014 at 6:09 PM

I’d get the ribs if Dunn’s paying, a burger if I am…

10. tfbuckfutter - Apr 28, 2014 at 6:19 PM

I pick up tabs for people all the time….then I hand it to them so they can pay!

HAHAHAHA! GET IT?!

(I’m trying to tone done the content of my comments as the earlier post requested…I think this one was a real winner).

• clemente2 - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Repressing your talent for desert-dry sarcasm has inhibited your internal spell check.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Now I wish I had said “wiener” instead of “winner”.

Not because you pointed out my typo, but just because whenever I use “winner” and then go back and reread it I think “That would have been funnier if I said ‘wiener.'”

11. cubbybeers41 - Apr 28, 2014 at 6:53 PM

That’s funny. I have eaten and drinken at O’Tooles many a times as I grew up 5 minutes from it. Great to see them getting this publicity and even a greater gesture by mr. Dunn.

12. hojo20 - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:22 PM

And all the other fans at Comiskey yesterday joined them at the restaurant in another room. Table for 6.

13. Jonny 5 - Apr 28, 2014 at 8:25 PM

The guy is a thinker for sure.
    “hmmm?who do I ask about good food?(lightbulb)”
    “Hey Adam!”

14. klingonj - Apr 28, 2014 at 8:56 PM

baseball seems to be the sport where the veterans look out for the rookies.

15. bigjimatch - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:21 PM

You know with Dunn, he was either going to hit a home run or strike out with the recommendation, unless he takes a free pass.

16. psousa1 - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Hey, AJ Pierzinski would have done the same thing if he was still there – wouldn’t he?

17. stlouis1baseball - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Wonderful gesture by the Big Donkey. Well done Adam. Well done.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5133)