And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights

Apr 28, 2014, 6:38 AM EDT

Freddie Freeman AP

Braves 1, Reds 0: There were five shutouts in Major League Baseball yesterday. Three of those games and four of the teams involved were in the National League East. It’s as if a rift was created in the space-time continuum allowing for 1968 to become localized over certain portions of the eastern seaboard. I’m assuming red matter was involved somehow, but I need to consult Memory Alpha to get the details down accurately. Here it was all zeroes until Freddie Freeman singled home the game’s only run in walkoff fashion in the bottom of the 10th.

Phillies 2, Diamondbacks 0: A.J. Burnett tossed eight shutout innings to outduel Brandon McCarthy, who struck out a career-high 12 in seven innings. The Diamondbacks are now 8-20 and have a staggering -59 run differential.

Mets 4, Marlins 0: Quote of the day goes to David Wright, talking about Dillon Gee: “I’m not sure if Dillon is all that sexy of a pitcher. He just goes out there and gets the job done.” (1) I’d say three hits over eight shutout innings is sexy; and (2) even if it isn’t, someone who just goes out and gets the job done is often way better to have than someone who is sexy. The more superficial aspects of sexy go away after a while. Having someone who simply has their crap together is highly underrated.

Cardinals 7, Pirates 0: The starting pitcher was fantastic, shutting out the opposition until the bullpen carried the shutout the rest of the way. Meanwhile, the shortstop had two homers.

Cubs 4, Brewers 0: The starting pitcher was fantastic, shutting out the opposition until the bullpen carried the shutout the rest of the way. Meanwhile, the shortstop had two homers. No, this is not a copy-and-paste error. It was basically the same game as the Cards-Pirates thing. Only difference: Jason Hammel pitched seven shutout innings to Adam Wainwright‘s eight and Starlin Castro‘s two homers were solo shots while Jhonny Peralta drove in four. In other news, Hammel has four wins for a team that only has eight overall.

Astros 5, Athletics 1: Collin McHugh is Lou Gehrig to Scott Feldman‘s Wally Pipp. Well, maybe not exactly — the Astros will find a place for Feldman when he comes back while someone like Lucas Harrell gets bumped — but there’s no question McHugh is parlaying his injury-necessitated callup into a full time gig. Here he allowed one run on two hits over eight and two-thirds while striking out seven. In his first start he shut out the Mariners into the seventh inning while striking out 12. Strong stuff.

Editor’s Note: Hardball Talk‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Monday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:10pm ET on MondayHere’s the FanDuel link.

Padres 4, Nationals 2: Ian Kennedy gave up three hits, struck out nine and didn’t walk anyone over seven, retiring 16 straight batters at one point. Cameron Maybin made his first big league start of the season and had a couple of hits. The Nats couldn’t have had a worse couple of days. They put Bryce Harper on the DL and then their starter for this one, Taylor Jordan, showed up with the flu. He attempted to pitch but had nothing.

White Sox 9, Rays 2: Jose Abreu keeps doing it. He homered and drove in four, bringing his totals to ten bombs and 31 RBI, both of which are records for he first month of the season for a rookie. And true, Abreu is a much more seasoned rookie than most, but the guy whose records he broke in both of those categories is Albert Pujols, who was no typical rookie himself.

Rockies 6, Dodgers 1: The Rockies are quietly putting together a nice season so far. They’ve won four series in a row and are tied with the Dodgers for second place in the division at 14-12. Jorge De La Rosa allowed one run over seven and Josh Rutledge had a three-run homer.

Giants 4, Indians 1: Brandon Hicks hit a three-run homer with two outs in the ninth with the score tied 1-1. That gave the Giants a series sweep. Not bad for a dude who signed a minor league deal and wouldn’t even be here if Marco Scutaro wasn’t hurt.

Mariners 6, Rangers 5: Kyle Seager had two homers including a three-run shot in the eighth to complete the M’s come-from-behind victory. Seager is on fire: he has five home runs in four games, and he’s had at least two hits in all of those games as well.

Royals 9, Orioles 3:  Have yourself a day Omar Infante. The Royals second baseman drove in six, with an RBI groundout in the first, a sac fly in the third, a two-run double in the fifth and a two-run homer in the seventhJames Shields tossed seven innings of three-hit ball.

Blue Jays 7, Red Sox 1: The Blue Jays salvage one and end a four-game losing streak. The Jays’ lineup featured six players from the Dominican Republic, which is believed to be a record. I would like to think that this was John Gibbons’ direct rebuke to the unnamed Jays scout who was reported to have said “this team has too many Latinos on it to win” at some point last year.

Yankees 3, Angels 2: Tanaka struck out 11, Teixeira hit a homer from the left side of the plate and the Yankees scored what proved to be the winning run via a passed ball and a wild pitch.

Tigers vs. Twins: POSTPONED:

“The rain to the wind said,
You push and I’ll pelt.’
They so smote the garden bed
That the flowers actually knelt,
And lay lodged–though not dead.
I know how the flowers felt.”

1. renaado - Apr 28, 2014 at 6:47 AM

What a game Braves, what a game!

2. proudlycanadian - Apr 28, 2014 at 6:50 AM

R. A. Dickey pitched his best game of the season on R. A. Dickey bobblehead day. For 6 innings, Lester was almost as good; however, Farrell sent him out 1 inning too long as and the Jays scored 2 insurance runs off him in the 7th. It is a bit early in the season for Lester to be throwing 120 pitches.

• uyf1950 - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:56 AM

Hello Proudly. I agree with you about Lester. I was getting the impression that Farrell was managing with his heart and not his head. He want to give Lester a chance to win the game so he left him in longer then he should have. Lester’s been a bit of a hard luck pitcher so far and I just think Farrell wanted or hoped the Sox could score a couple before he replaced Lester. Just my opinion.

• nbjays - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:50 AM

It’s nice to see the Jays’ bats heat up finally. Melky has been a hitting machine so far, having hit safely in 24 of 25 games, and Bautista has showed great plate discipline, leading the majors in walks by a wide margin. He’s riding a 25-game streak of reaching base. Nice to see Dickey on his game yesterday, he had the Red Sox hitters totally off balance.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 28, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Be on the lookout for that runaway Budweiser Beer blimp. It is expected to come back to earth somewhere near Sussex NB.

• nbjays - Apr 28, 2014 at 4:42 PM

That’s a couple hours from here, PC, and heading in the wrong direction. Thanks for the heads up, though.

3. dirtyharry1971 - Apr 28, 2014 at 6:59 AM

Tanaka didn’t have his best stuff yet he still was great, I remember quite a few morons on here who said he wouldn’t do this or that. Guy is on pace for 300K’s and hasn’t had a bad game yet. Can’t wait to see his final numbers as the season comes to an end and the Jays are in last place and the Yanks win the East and the haters are all gone from this board.

“You love me, you hate me, but you will never forget me”

• renaado - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:16 AM

I have no doubt Tanaka will have a great year this season. His determination to win and strivin to improve much more playin in a different league in a different country where the highest level of professional Baseball is bein played is somethin you can truly admire. I’m no Yankee fan but I’ve been watching his videos about him for quite a long time now, I’ve watched him mature throughout the years even before he started his pro league debut with the Rakuten Golden Eagles back in 2007, Even saw the video of the finals back in 2006 of him playin in the Koshien tournament. They did lose the game where Tanaka was the last batter in the final inning with 2 outs where his rival Yuki Saito struck him out swinging. Truly this guy is the real deal. His determination alone can rival any big league power.

• aresachaela - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:23 AM

Thank you for saying this!! Love you REN ;-) ! Can you please show me the video of Ma-kun in this Koshin tournament? I’m really curious to see it.

• renaado - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:31 AM

Please, put your jokes level to a minimum Achaela, LoL.

• dirtyharry1971 - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:35 AM

I didn’t think pitchers hit in japan, interesting

• aresachaela - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:38 AM

WAAHHHHHH!!!! You have got to be kidding me!!!! Is this seriously HIGH SCHOOL BASEBALL!? LOL LOL LOL XD!! It’s like a freakin World Series atmosphere there!! Hindi ako nagbibiro!! HAHAHA XD!!

• renaado - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:55 AM

What can I say, Japan truly is a Baseball country. They definitely love the game of Baseball there.

Yes dirtyharry1971, pitchers there have to hit. They don’t apply the DH rules there in that tournament. You might not know this but pitchers there definitely has some power. I’ve watched the 2014 86th Spring Koshien tournament this year in some of the videos in youtube. They truly can handle the bat pretty well.

• nbjays - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:23 AM

I know another moron who said the Bosox would beat up on Dickey for the sweep. He has shown himself time and again to be none too bright, though, and seems to have a number of unhealthy obsessions. Irrational Blue Jay hatred and delusions of grandeur are only the tip of the iceberg, as demonstrated above.

• dirtyharry1971 - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:27 AM

I was correct 2 out of those 3 games, I said burhele was gonna take a beating and he did exactly that. And I picked the sox in game 2, I cant be right all the time it only seems like I am.

• nbjays - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:35 AM

You are a legend in your own mind, harry. That is proven by the fact that EVERY post you make comes with one automatic thumb up… your own. It’s funny, in a pathetic way.

• Old Gator - Apr 28, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Nope. Just pathetic.

• aceshigh11 - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Talk about a case of psychological projection.

YOU’RE the only who disappears for months on end whenever the Yankees are underperforming. You didn’t post once during the postseason last year.

• spudchukar - Apr 28, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Hey Slimeball, aka DH, did you catch the Jays beat down of the Sox? Or were you too busy “hanging out with royalty”? 45,260 proud Canadians managed to do so, you know about 5, 232 more fans than New York managed to draw.

Of course, watching Richards emasculate the feeble New York attack was frightening. The Yanks didn’t just look old Sunday night, but downright decrepit. Jeter almost fell over backwards on a routine one-hopper, Ichiro showed Jeter how it should be done, flopping ass-first on a simple fly to left, Roberts got into the clown show as he juggled a pop-up to right, and Beltran did his best Toreador imitation on a base-hit to right. The kindly, respect your elders, official scorer did his best to keep from embarrassing the octogenarian-like play by rewarding the LA hitters with “base-hits”.

Which brings me to the Angels. I know Hamilton is hurt, but Holy Smokes, is that line-up ever lame. Cowgill, cast-off of from the D-backs, A’s, and Mets, leads off. Then the City of Angles’ only hopes Trout and Pujols, both righties, and then middle infielders hit 4th and 5th, followed by the buck fifty, Freese, journeyman Stewart, and Aw Shucks, a couple of slap hitting outfielders, and the so-called “catcher” Inanetta.

To be fair, you know that concept you have no possible understanding of, Tanaka’s splitter is nasty, but on Sunday it was the only pitch he had, and “real” hitters will learn to adjust. What happens to him when he faces teams for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th time, and they don’t chase his splitter? He is on a number of my fantasy teams, and after his performance Sunday, he has me worried. He is smart, but when David Freese takes your first pitch fastball deep into the Sunday night opposite field bleachers, fans should be concerned.

But when facing the likes of the hapless LA squad, and their so-called “relief”, even a sorry Yankee performance can result in a win. Of course most teams will face teams with an actual “catcher”, which gained that moniker, because the guy behind the dish is actually supposed to “catch” a “pitch”.

• jbriggs81 - Apr 28, 2014 at 11:48 AM

You are worried about Tanaka based upon one start where his command was a bit spotty? Is that a joke? He still managed to strike out 11 batters and allowed only two runs over 7.1 innings. Even with the diminished command, he looked pretty good good.

I can only imagine how you would react to something serious

• bigharold - Apr 28, 2014 at 12:42 PM

“Of course, watching Richards emasculate the feeble New York attack was frightening.”

You mean that same feeble line up that smacked around Price in their first meeting? You are aware who is leading the AL East and who is dead last, .. which team is one pace to win nearly 100 games and which looks like it’s shooting for 70 wins?

Sure it way early but all things considered the Yankees are doing just fine at the moment, .. the Rays, .. not so much. Of course when it comes to feeble lineups Rays fans generally lmow what that looks like so just maybe you might be on to something.

• spudchukar - Apr 28, 2014 at 12:49 PM

No doubt the Rays are struggling mightily, although having Cobb, Moore, and Hellickson on the DL doesn’t help, but still so far 2014 has been disappointing to say the least.

However, that “Yankees are doing fine” thing is bogus. They were fortunate to be handed a soft early season schedule, play in a division that was once tough, but now is sucking hind teat, and still sport a negative 1.1 on the Simple Rating System.

The Yanks are only doing fine only in comparison to the other 4 teams in their division. And if the Yankees swing the bats and play defense like they did Sunday night, and like most of 2014 to date, 90 wins will be far out of their reach, much less 100.

It should be noted that right now 81 wins may indeed take the AL Least.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Apr 28, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Maybe you should try to watch other games than basing an opinion off one? Especially disparaging them in a game they won. They’re 15-10, tied for the best record in the AL. They just took two of three from the best offensive team in the AL (114 wRC+), which you think is hapless.

• spudchukar - Apr 28, 2014 at 1:40 PM

So Einstein, what makes you think I have only watched one Yankee game? I have seen all of about half a dozen parts of a dozen more. My Extra-Innings package, allows me to see the first hour of most Yankee games. The idea that I am relegated to Sunday Night Baseball as my only source, is mind numbingly dense.

The Angels are hapless. Hamilton helped build up their numbers, and he is absent. They also have played a relatively easy schedule to date, and when you have Howie Kendricks hitting 4th, and Manny Ibar in the 5 hole, you have real issues. Plus the corner outfielder and infielder and DH spot are manned by the likes of Stewart, Freese, Cowgill, and Shucks, and toss in the inept Iannetta, and hapless becomes generous.

• spudchukar - Apr 28, 2014 at 1:49 PM

No fan of the Yankees should be proud of their performance on Sunday, I don’t care how much of a homer one is. Outside of Tanaka, and the relief crew the effort was sub-par to be kind.

I know if my team managed to escape with a win, particularly one handed them on a Silver platter I would quietly say thank you very much, and sidle away red-faced.

This is what is so disturbing about Yankee fans. There inability to, you know, actually honestly access their team and performance. Fate has been with them to date in 2014, and yet listening to the comments fans are exuding confidence about a team that is lucky to be above .500 in a league that is floundering. How about some honest to God constructive criticism, rather than the whistling past the graveyard plaudits that I read on a daily basis. I can guarantee you Girardi and his staff aren’t touting the 2014 Yanks out of earshot of the public.

• bigharold - Apr 28, 2014 at 1:43 PM

“The Yanks are only doing fine only in comparison to the other 4 teams in their division.”

Duh?? At the end of the year that will just about do it.

“It should be noted that right now 81 wins may indeed take the AL Least.”

Except the Yankees are already way ahead of that pace. And, just what happened to the Rays running away with the AL East with 100 wins? First you insist that the Rays will run away with the division then when that bit of wistful prognostication goes up in flames everybody in the division sucks and .500ish should get the AL East. You seem to be twisting the logic to suit your desired results.

It’s early to be sure but the Yankees are in a far better position and their prospects are looking better than you insisted they’d be before the season started. Stop rationalizing that and deal with it.

• spudchukar - Apr 28, 2014 at 2:08 PM

First, if you are satisfied with winning your division with 81 wins then fine. It is your standards that have been significantly lowered not mine.

Second, my evaluation of the Rays success was based on their far superior pitching. The loss of Moore and Cobb certainly makes 100 wins look tough. And with Moore gone all year 95 looks more reasonable, and I will stand by that.

I am not alone in questioning the Yankee success so far in 2014. Their SRS is still negative, mostly due to a soft early season schedule, and the poor play of their division rivals. So far Least is a much more accurate term than Beast.

To be clear, I still maintain the Rays will win the division handily. The O’s and Jays will battle for a play-off spot and the Yanks and Sox will contend for the cellar, with the Yanks most likely holding on to 4th.

As to those prospects who are looking better than I insisted? Just who might that be? Maybe I overlooked Murphy, who shows some promise, but I’ll be damned if I can name another.

• bigharold - Apr 28, 2014 at 2:28 PM

“There inability to, you know, actually honestly access their team and performance.”

Why should Yankee fans, .. you haven’t. You are rigorously ignoring the Yankees success, current position and strong points while simultaneously completely distancing yourself from your insistence in March that the Yankees would not only be dead last but that the Rays would run away with the division. And, Yankee fans are “.. whistling past the graveyard ..”??

You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts. Of course it would help if your opinion was supported by independent facts and observations.

• spudchukar - Apr 28, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Never did I say the Yanks would be dead last. That is a flat out mischaracterization of my prediction. I made it clear that they would edge out Boston for 4th.

And I just re-iterated by belief that the Rays will run away with the division, once Cobb and Hellickson return.

The “facts” I choose come directly from Baseball-Reference.com, who reinforce my belief that the Yankees have not played as well as, either Toronto or Tampa Bay, equally with Baltimore, and just slightly better than Boston.

Not to mention have played poorer than any team in the AL Central, and Vastly worst than anybody in the AL West than lowly Houston.

And only in Arizona does Baseball-Reference suggest poorer Baseball has been played than the New York Yankees in the NL.

Or you could go on wins against sub-par teams as “facts”.

• spudchukar - Apr 28, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Plus I also suggested that the Yanks wouldn’t get off to a bad start once I viewed their favorable schedule.

And about those Prospects?

• bigharold - Apr 28, 2014 at 2:58 PM

“No doubt my prognostication about the Rays has not played out so far. But the rest of your comment is silly.”

Silly? Sure if by that you mean laden with fact based statements. Try reading what I actually wrote, .. then try understanding it. I never said anything about the number of wins for the AL East, .. that was you. You stated that the Yankees were only in first place because of the poor play of the rest of the AL East, .. which means they are still in first place. I said the Yankee were in first and “..already way ahead of that pace”.

Previously, YOU stated “..right now 81 wins may indeed take the AL Least.” now you are walking that back to the Rays will win 95. Which is it? Did yo break out a calculator to figure the percentages or did you just make it up.? Regardless you clearly are attempting to develop a narrative that not only fits the current circumstances but supports your overall assumption, adjusted for the poor start the Rays have had.

Personally, I don’t care that much. The season is young, the Yankees are in first and playing well, .. especially pitching well. And, there is a whole lot of season left. But, if you are going to tout this blatantly obvious, transparent biased nonsense you should be be prepared for people to notice and call you on it.

• spudchukar - Apr 28, 2014 at 3:16 PM

What I said, rather than what you wished I said to support your narrative, and gross misstatement about my predicting the Yanks to finish last, is that if I turn out to be incorrect about the Rays running away with the division, the play of the Yanks, might take the division with 81 wins based on their play to date, and the equally poor play within the division.

I stand by that statement wholeheartedly.

The Yanks are not playing well. But you are correct on two points. The season is early, and there is a lot of the season left.

• bigharold - Apr 28, 2014 at 3:04 PM

“And about those Prospects?”

I was referring to Yankee prospects in general, not young players.

• spudchukar - Apr 28, 2014 at 3:20 PM

OK, I thought that might be what you meant, even though it is an odd use of prospects. So who are suggesting is playing well that is new to the Yankees outside of Ellsbury, and Tanaka who are the only two who I predicted to excel?

4. uyf1950 - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:06 AM

Good Win for the Yankees But the standout has to be Tanaka. He struggled with his control early on but still managed to give the Yankees a quality start. In my opinion the mark that separates the truly good pitchers from the average pitchers is one that can hold it together and still give his team a chance to win. That’s exactly what Tanaka did last night. Even with giving up 4 BB and hitting a batter probably the first time in his baseball career he was still able to give the Yankees a quality win. Going 6 plus innings with 11 K’s and just 2 ER’s. Warren and Robertson was able to pitch the last 2 plus innings of shutout ball. All in all a good day for the Yankees against a very good offensive Angels team.

• spudchukar - Apr 28, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Correct about Tanaka. And I believe, or hope for your sake, that the “quality win” thing was in regards to the Tanaka performance, not Yankees overall, or your homerism has risen to new heights. The Yanks “escaped” with a win would be much more accurate.

Early on the New York Nine were embarrassingly awful. The swing when you hear the ball hit the catcher’s mitt approach, was rather ineffective. Richards is talented, but the Yankee “hitters” were making him the second coming of Sandy Koufax. They were so overmatched that if it was a fight it would have been stopped in the 5th.

Then there is the so-called “defense”. Fortunately for Beltran and Ichiro the official scorer is either blind or corrupt, cause calling those blunders “hits” can only be the result of sight impairment, kind respect for one’s elders, or being bought off.

As to Tanaka. He is a bright, competitive, youngster (and that shouldn’t be ignored), who has one nasty splitter, but on Sunday night that is all he had, and a guy will not excel in the Bigs with only one pitch. I am a believer, as my fantasy teams show, but after watching him last night I am concerned, and critical Pin Stripe followers should too. This was his first appearance on “American Rest”, and he was shaky. Sure he recorded a dozen K’s, but he was facing an LA squad that is hardly “a very good offensive team”, as you put it.

Yes, it is their first time seeing the Japanese phenom, but that line-up and their approach was hardly exemplary, more like pathetic. Teams will learn to lay off that pitch, at least teams with brains, and Tanaka will have to adjust too. I think he can, and hopefully he will, cause I am a fan, but he did not exhibit “ace-like” stuff, like the other 7 hurlers on Sunday who shutout foes on 3 hits or less.

And then there is Iannetta and the Angels bull pen. Nobody who enjoys Baseball should have to be exposed to that horror show. Fortunately, most of that atrocity occurred after many children would be put to bed, because that exhibition should only be allowed on Adult Channels.

Eventually the Yankees are going to, you know play somebody who resembles a Big League team, and if they bring the same game that they did Sunday night, they will be obliterated.

• happytwinsfan - Apr 28, 2014 at 1:53 PM

i’m not a yankees fan of course, but i still gotta say i think you’re being a little harsh spud. how can the angels be that bad offensively when they’re first in runs in what’s been so far (don’t tell anyone i said this) the best division in the american league and second overall?

at the start of the year i had the yankees pegged as a team, whom if they played in relative good fortune might win about 85 games, but who also looked mighty mortal to me making me see an equal possibility that the wheels could come off bringing them down to around 75 wins. i still feel that way, but as long as they keep finding a way, no matter who it is that they’re playing, you gotta respect it.

• spudchukar - Apr 28, 2014 at 2:30 PM

I do respect it. They do have smart players, and management. And while I know their schedule has been soft, not all their success is due to that. Both in 2013 and so far in 2014 they have won more games than their stats suggest they should, and that cannot be totally discounted as luck only.

But that said, the AL East, particularly the starting pitching is atrocious. Only the Yankees have been on the bright side of terrible, and they rank 10th worst in MLB.

But I stick to the evaluation of the Angels offense. And watching them flail last night doesn’t alter my opinion. Some of their run production comes at the hands of the Astros, and Mets, , who have had some spot moments of brilliance from starters, but struggle mightily once the starters are gone.

I did a little research this morning and discovered that the Angels scored 29 runs in their series against Houston, and 25 against the Mets.

Plus they also scored 14, 11, and 13 in other games, started by the struggling Colon, Smyley, and Kuroda.

But hey I agree totally with your assessment of the AL West as being the best in the AL.

• uyf1950 - Apr 28, 2014 at 11:45 AM

@ spudchukar, my fat fingers typed quality win, but I meant to type quality start.

• Joe Vecchio - Apr 28, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Agreed giving up two runs in 6.1 innings is a quality start. Of course, that’s still one more run than Braves’ pitchers have given up in their last 17 innings…

5. chill1184 - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:22 AM

Gee is a very underrated pitcher Ive noticed

• Old Gator - Apr 28, 2014 at 11:22 AM

I don’t want to detract from Gee’s performance, but he was facing a Feesh team that had already won its one game of the road series and was prolly too satisfied with that to feel like knocking themselves out again yesterday.

Meanwhile, El Keed goes tomorrow against the Braves, who will prolly be looking for revenge after he shut them down last week. The question becomes whether the fans will even come out to see him pitch now that the team has lived down to the preseason predictions for them. Marcell Ozuna is the only regular hitting above .300 (.304) and the Iron Giant has been on a certified schneid for just about all of the trip just ended, seeing his BA slide from .329 to .270 during that time. This is looking more and more like Scrooge McLoria’s team, alright.

6. southpaw2k - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:47 AM

Gee has to be a sexy stud muffin of a pitcher if he’s one of five starters who pitched lights out yesterday.

Also, red matter always had me very confused, given the two things it did in Star Trek 2009. Creating a small black hole and hurling a victim back in time are two very specific properties that aren’t accidents. Sure, it was designed to do the former intentionally, but the time travel part had always left me befuddled. However, if Nero does show up in his gigantic uber-killer ship (a ship originally designed for mining of all things) in our skies in the next couple days, I’ll shut up.

End nerd rant.

• xdj511 - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:20 AM

I watched it again on FX or whatever channel recently and there is a big problem with the whole red matter plotline. They only needed one drop of it to create a black hole powerful enough to destroy Vulcan. Fast forward to the end of the movie when Spock sets the red matter ship on a collision course with Nero’s ship. The red matter is released and the result of ALL of the red matter is only enough to create a black hole that destroys Nero’s ship and that the Enterprise is (barely) able to escape from. There is a big problem with scale there. Wouldn’t more red matter = bigger black hole?

Nerd away!

• southpaw2k - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:37 AM

I agree, more red matter SHOULD mean a bigger and more powerful black hole. In fact, in theory, put together enough red matter, and a black hole could form large enough to suck in the entire galaxy. Allowing the Enterprise to escape the black hole at the end of that movie is classic deus ex machina.

7. [citation needed] fka COPO - Apr 28, 2014 at 8:32 AM

Looks to me that someone either went to bed early and/or had to get up early :) No worries, can’t believe a 3-2 game with 23 total strikeouts still took almost 3.5 hours.

• Jeremy T - Apr 28, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Tanaka had 4 walks and a hit batter to go with all those strikeouts, and seemed be needing 20 pitches every inning. Definitely didn’t look like he was at his best, but still ended up having a pretty excellent start on the whole.

8. janessa31888 - Apr 28, 2014 at 8:49 AM

The tribe lineup is STRUGGLING! I’m changing the name to the Itsy Bitsy Spiders. At least Salazar finally had a good start.

9. cur'68 - Apr 28, 2014 at 8:58 AM

That’s the smartest thing you’ve ever said, Craig.

• historiophiliac - Apr 28, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Well, that kind of stinks for people who don’t have their crap together…

• cur'68 - Apr 28, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Well, its one of those things that’s easy and correct to say (like “catch all pop flies”) that ultimately comes down to context. So I don’t think it always applies. If you CAN, then by all means resolve your crap. But that doesn’t mean you have to scorch the earth until you do. I think, if you’re reasonable and have level headed expectations, you can indeed get into a relationship with your crap uncollected into a heap and still have it work out even AFTER the superficial aspects of sexy loses their charm. The trick is reasonableness.

So you go ahead and be a bit of a mess, ‘philliac. So what? If you don’t have your expectations set at “Moon Landing” you’ll probably be just fine.

• historiophiliac - Apr 28, 2014 at 12:12 PM

*hot mess

FTFY

10. Eutaw's Finest - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Two notes this morning after losing 2 of 3 to the Royals:

1. That pitching staff… scary good. I was very impressed by Ventura in the Friday game (sorry to be late on this, my Saturday’s are now chock full of tee ball games), and the pen overall is very solid. We did get to them on Saturday but they came back Sunday and owned us. Shields always has done well against the O’s.

2. I have such a hard time looking at the Royals as a good team these days and I don’t know why (no disrespect). I have this early 2000’s version of them in my head in which they are terrible and I always go into these series thinking the O’s should sweep… then end up highly disappointed. And the ironic thing about that is back when the Royals were abysmal? So were the O’s.

• sportsdrenched - Apr 28, 2014 at 10:34 AM

I didn’t get to watch or listen to any baseball this weekend. But, I’m a Royals fan, and even I still have this negative view of them. If something can go wrong, it will. If the front office makes a decision, it’s wrong. etc. I think it will take more than a season of decent ball to change the perspective.

But, I think one thing that might be the real deal for Royals fans is Ventura. He’s going to be fun to watch.

• historiophiliac - Apr 28, 2014 at 10:35 AM

I have the exact same feeling about the Royals — even though they have been Verlander’s kryptonite for some time. It’s so hard to adjust perceptions.

11. cohnjusack - Apr 28, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Wainwright has now gone 25.2 innings without giving up a run.

Watch out Hershiser, only…umm…34 innings to go (not counting the 8 scoreless he threw in Game 1 of the NLCS).

12. APBA Guy - Apr 28, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Ugh. You can’t say “McHugh” without it.

The A’s split their series against Houston, which has to be some sort of crime against the baseball gods, and their bullpen looked shaky the entire series. Of course, 25 runs in the first two games will disguise a lot of ills, but the indifferent A’s pitching was highlighted in the last two games. It was nice to see the crowds at the park for the last 3 games of the series, a good sign for baseball in Houston.

On to Texas for the A’s, against a team who swept the A’s last week. Very quietly the Rangers have gotten Colby Lewis and Matt Harrison back in their rotation, which strengthens them for the remaining 5 months. It was always going to be a tough fight in the AL West this year, but facing a stronger, more confident Texas is not something the A’s need after going 2-5 over the last week.

• spudchukar - Apr 28, 2014 at 11:08 AM

I liked to Ugh/McHugh thing. Well played sir, which is more than I can say for the A’s in the series. The up and down pitching has to be, in part, contributed to the Griffith/Parker losses. It is gonna be hard to overcome their absence in the long run. Beat Texas.

• historiophiliac - Apr 28, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Was it just me or did that seem like the Neverending Series?

• spudchukar - Apr 28, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Oh, and by the way, that “dust more” comment still has me chuckling.

• APBA Guy - Apr 28, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Yeah, that was the point about mentioning Harrison and Lewis’ return, to contrast it with Parker and Griffin’s non-returns. Losing those two was worth 400 IP of quality MLB work, with the add of Kazmir cancelling the loss of Colon. So far, using Jesse Chavez and Sonny Gray has been a positive, but both of those guys-and Kazmir-will be hard pressed to go past 150 IP.

13. Bob - Apr 28, 2014 at 4:35 PM

“Well, maybe not exactly — the Astros will find a place for Feldman when he comes back while someone like Lucas Harrell gets bumped”

Harrell has already been bumped. He’s already been designated for assignment, cleared waivers over the 10-day period and sent to Class AAA Oklahoma City. Happened two weeks ago.

Orioles turn AL East on its head