Apr 28, 2014, 9:20 PM EST
Showing that excellent defense can only get you so far, the Blue Jays have demoted infielder Ryan Goins to Triple-A Buffalo. Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca reports that the club will call up Chris Getz tomorrow to take his place on the active roster.
Goins, 26, hit just .150 with two-extra base hits and a 13/4 K/BB ratio in 66 plate appearances while making starts between second base and shortstop. He’s highly regarded for his glove, but that’s just not good enough to justify his place as a regular.
Getz hit .309 (21-for-68) with two doubles, nine RBI, and six stolen bases over 18 games in Triple-A and should get the majority of the playing time at second base for now. The 30-year-old owns a .251/.310/.309 batting line in the majors.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 74
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)