Blue Jays demote Ryan Goins to Triple-A

Apr 28, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT

Ryan Goins Getty Getty Images

Showing that excellent defense can only get you so far, the Blue Jays have demoted infielder Ryan Goins to Triple-A Buffalo. Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca reports that the club will call up Chris Getz tomorrow to take his place on the active roster.

Goins, 26, hit just .150 with two-extra base hits and a 13/4 K/BB ratio in 66 plate appearances while making starts between second base and shortstop. He’s highly regarded for his glove, but that’s just not good enough to justify his place as a regular.

Getz hit .309 (21-for-68) with two doubles, nine RBI, and six stolen bases over 18 games in Triple-A and should get the majority of the playing time at second base for now. The 30-year-old owns a .251/.310/.309 batting line in the majors.

1. cur'68 - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:27 PM

About time. Now if they bring back Kawasaki for Diaz they’ll have 2 much better hitters.

2. groupofsevenrules - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:32 PM

The first bold move of this brave new world of Jays discussions. It will be nice to have intelligent exchanges about what’s going on back east uncluttered by trollery and sneer. I can digest my trout in peace. Three nice fat rainbows being transformed in the oven by Gator’s panko and feta cheese stuffing recipe even as I type this. Oh Gawd does that smell good. I even picked up a half bottle of Retsina to go with it, also on Gator’s advice.

Too bad about Goins. I enjoyed watching him stabilize the middle infield. If he could only learn to hit. I imagine it must be like watching Hechavarria down in MIa…ha ha, I mean, Macondo. I was also delighted to see Dickey get his stuff back together for a few innings. I wish I believed it would last.

• toodrunktotastethischicken - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Would Kawasaki be a better option than Goins/Getz?

• cur'68 - Apr 28, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Goins: BA .150, .420 OPS, 20 games
        Diaz: BA .182, .502 OPS, 20 Games
        Kawasaki: .229/.641 last season (96 games)

Now its not close between those 2 and Saki-San, BUT sample size isn’t in the kids favour. However, its reasonably safe to say The Beaver Wrestlers could have used Saki a heck of a lot more than they could have used either of the other two thus far. His plate D is better, his adjustments pitch to pitch is better, and he can make productive outs. If they start ripping it up in AAA, fine. Bring it on. Until then? Get off the pine and play regularly until you show me something. They’re not going to get any better WATCHING baseball or failing at the level they’re at.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:46 AM

Without Harry, there will be a lot fewer entries in this thread than there would have been.

• nbjays - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:53 AM

You make that sound like a bad thing.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:56 AM

I prefer to think that it will be more civilized.

3. drewzducks - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:51 PM

What goins up, must goins down.

4. proudlycanadian - Apr 28, 2014 at 10:03 PM

The Jays will not make a formal announcement until they clear a roster spot. Designating Kawasaki for assignment would be unpopular, but is possible. They could also dump a pitcher; however that is unlikely right now, as they would do that when they call up Stroman. I am quite curious about who gets wacked from the 40 man roster.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:45 AM

Looking at the 40 man roster, my guess is that a relief pitcher in Buffalo named Mickey Storey will be the person removed from the 40 man roster to make room for Getz. His era of over 10 sort of sticks out.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 29, 2014 at 12:16 PM

It was Storey who got the axe.

5. jerze2387 - Apr 28, 2014 at 10:55 PM

When the goins get tough, the tough get goins. Back down to AAA.

6. paint771 - Apr 28, 2014 at 11:57 PM

In the Jays case, I’m not sure sacrificing defense in favor of marginal gains in 9 hole batting average makes a lot of sense right now.

• cur'68 - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Honestly, I think you might be right in the big picture and I might be right in the short term. Right now, Our Boys need to win some. To hold those leads they’ve been getting and blowing. Having some actual hitting in the bottom of the lineup will help with that. Goins/Diaz have been far to easy to get out. They need to go to AAA and get their hitting on track.

7. nbjays - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:59 AM

Sending Goins back down to get his bat working better is not a bad thing, really. The kid is a fabulous defender, but he just seems overmatched at the plate right now. Part of me thinks that he needs to take Brandon Morrow down to Buffalo with him, because that last start was ugly and the last thing we need is a Morrow that ends up snakebit like Ricky Romero was.

I’m looking forward to seeing Stroman. I’ve never seen him pitch.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3770)