Apr 28, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Chicago White Sox rookie first baseman Jose Abreu and Seattle Mariners third baseman Kyle Seager have been named the American League Co-Players of the Week. Philadelphia Phillies catcher Carlos Ruiz has been named National League Player of the Week.
Abreu batted .310 (9-for-29) with one double, five homers, 14 RBI and eight runs scored in seven games. first in RBI and total bases (25) and tied Seager for tops overall in home runs. Seager batted .409 (9-for-22) with five homers with 11 RBI over six games. Among Major League hitters, Kyle was first in slugging percentage (1.091), second in total bases (24) and third overall in RBI.
Ruiz went 11-for-22 and had a .593 on-base percentage for the week with seven RBI while collecting 20 total bases.
We don’t always keep track of Player of the Week stuff around here, but given that half of the baseball Internet has spent today talking up April results as if they mean something, we have no problem talking up a week’s worth of results here.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 13
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)