Apr 28, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Chicago White Sox rookie first baseman Jose Abreu and Seattle Mariners third baseman Kyle Seager have been named the American League Co-Players of the Week. Philadelphia Phillies catcher Carlos Ruiz has been named National League Player of the Week.
Abreu batted .310 (9-for-29) with one double, five homers, 14 RBI and eight runs scored in seven games. first in RBI and total bases (25) and tied Seager for tops overall in home runs. Seager batted .409 (9-for-22) with five homers with 11 RBI over six games. Among Major League hitters, Kyle was first in slugging percentage (1.091), second in total bases (24) and third overall in RBI.
Ruiz went 11-for-22 and had a .593 on-base percentage for the week with seven RBI while collecting 20 total bases.
We don’t always keep track of Player of the Week stuff around here, but given that half of the baseball Internet has spent today talking up April results as if they mean something, we have no problem talking up a week’s worth of results here.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 0
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 99
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 17
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 23
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39