Apr 28, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Chicago White Sox rookie first baseman Jose Abreu and Seattle Mariners third baseman Kyle Seager have been named the American League Co-Players of the Week. Philadelphia Phillies catcher Carlos Ruiz has been named National League Player of the Week.
Abreu batted .310 (9-for-29) with one double, five homers, 14 RBI and eight runs scored in seven games. first in RBI and total bases (25) and tied Seager for tops overall in home runs. Seager batted .409 (9-for-22) with five homers with 11 RBI over six games. Among Major League hitters, Kyle was first in slugging percentage (1.091), second in total bases (24) and third overall in RBI.
Ruiz went 11-for-22 and had a .593 on-base percentage for the week with seven RBI while collecting 20 total bases.
We don’t always keep track of Player of the Week stuff around here, but given that half of the baseball Internet has spent today talking up April results as if they mean something, we have no problem talking up a week’s worth of results here.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)