Apr 28, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Chicago White Sox rookie first baseman Jose Abreu and Seattle Mariners third baseman Kyle Seager have been named the American League Co-Players of the Week. Philadelphia Phillies catcher Carlos Ruiz has been named National League Player of the Week.
Abreu batted .310 (9-for-29) with one double, five homers, 14 RBI and eight runs scored in seven games. first in RBI and total bases (25) and tied Seager for tops overall in home runs. Seager batted .409 (9-for-22) with five homers with 11 RBI over six games. Among Major League hitters, Kyle was first in slugging percentage (1.091), second in total bases (24) and third overall in RBI.
Ruiz went 11-for-22 and had a .593 on-base percentage for the week with seven RBI while collecting 20 total bases.
We don’t always keep track of Player of the Week stuff around here, but given that half of the baseball Internet has spent today talking up April results as if they mean something, we have no problem talking up a week’s worth of results here.
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 0
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 7
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 18
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)