Apr 28, 2014, 5:08 PM EDT
Mat Latos has yet to pitch this season because of spring training knee surgery followed by a flexor mass strain, but the Reds right-hander is hoping to resume throwing off a mound by the end of this week.
John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that there’s still no official timetable for Latos’ return to the Reds’ rotation and he’ll no doubt need a minor-league rehab assignment before getting back to the majors. He suffered the arm injury on April 11 while doing a throwing program on the road back from knee surgery and has already advanced to playing catch off flat ground. Latos tossed 211 innings last season for his fourth straight year with 30-plus starts and 185-plus innings, posting a combined 3.27 ERA during that span.
According to Latos a mid-to-late-May return “would be fantastic” so for now that’s the best-case scenario.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 15
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)