Apr 28, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Just in case anyone thought the Red Sox might have considered making a run at re-signing shortstop Stephen Drew now that he remains a free agent one month into the season, Rob Bradford of WEEI.com says it’s not happening.
According to Bradford “at no point this season have the Red Sox re-engaged in talks” with Drew, who hit .253 with 13 homers and a .777 OPS in 124 games for Boston last season before being replaced by Xander Bogaerts this year.
At this point it seems likely that Drew and fellow unsigned free agent Kendrys Morales will wait until after the June draft to sign, because then teams wouldn’t be required to forfeit draft picks. In the meantime, remember those reports that agent Scott Boras had a three-year, $39 million offer on the table for Drew? Haven’t seen any more of those in a while.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)