Apr 28, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Just in case anyone thought the Red Sox might have considered making a run at re-signing shortstop Stephen Drew now that he remains a free agent one month into the season, Rob Bradford of WEEI.com says it’s not happening.
According to Bradford “at no point this season have the Red Sox re-engaged in talks” with Drew, who hit .253 with 13 homers and a .777 OPS in 124 games for Boston last season before being replaced by Xander Bogaerts this year.
At this point it seems likely that Drew and fellow unsigned free agent Kendrys Morales will wait until after the June draft to sign, because then teams wouldn’t be required to forfeit draft picks. In the meantime, remember those reports that agent Scott Boras had a three-year, $39 million offer on the table for Drew? Haven’t seen any more of those in a while.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)