Apr 28, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Just in case anyone thought the Red Sox might have considered making a run at re-signing shortstop Stephen Drew now that he remains a free agent one month into the season, Rob Bradford of WEEI.com says it’s not happening.
According to Bradford “at no point this season have the Red Sox re-engaged in talks” with Drew, who hit .253 with 13 homers and a .777 OPS in 124 games for Boston last season before being replaced by Xander Bogaerts this year.
At this point it seems likely that Drew and fellow unsigned free agent Kendrys Morales will wait until after the June draft to sign, because then teams wouldn’t be required to forfeit draft picks. In the meantime, remember those reports that agent Scott Boras had a three-year, $39 million offer on the table for Drew? Haven’t seen any more of those in a while.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)