Apr 28, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Just in case anyone thought the Red Sox might have considered making a run at re-signing shortstop Stephen Drew now that he remains a free agent one month into the season, Rob Bradford of WEEI.com says it’s not happening.
According to Bradford “at no point this season have the Red Sox re-engaged in talks” with Drew, who hit .253 with 13 homers and a .777 OPS in 124 games for Boston last season before being replaced by Xander Bogaerts this year.
At this point it seems likely that Drew and fellow unsigned free agent Kendrys Morales will wait until after the June draft to sign, because then teams wouldn’t be required to forfeit draft picks. In the meantime, remember those reports that agent Scott Boras had a three-year, $39 million offer on the table for Drew? Haven’t seen any more of those in a while.
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 1
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)