Some HBT commenting housekeeping

Apr 28, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT

megaphone

Just two weeks ago I wrote a personal blog post about how, for all of the insanity, ugliness and poor taste of comments sections, they serve a useful purpose. Several useful purposes, actually.

There is a bit of community here among many of you, and I’m glad we can serve as a forum for that. As my landing on an unfortunate Buzzfeed list this morning shows — a lot of my own mistakes are caught by you guys and I’m glad when you point them out. You also challenge my thinking on any number of topics and I welcome that. This is HardballTalk, not Hardball Soliloquy. Interaction is important and it will continue. Comments aren’t going anywhere as long as it’s up to me.

But I gotta tell ya, a lot of you have been real jackasses lately. The crossing of racist, sexist and homophobic lines has increased lately. As has the violation of the more amorphous yet still important standard of simply not being obnoxious to one another. It’s entirely possible to disagree with someone else here without being a jerk. It’s a shame how many of you seem to have forgotten that.

As a result of this, we have carried out a few bannings over the past few days. A couple of them relatively regular commenters. There was no warning or notice to them as this is not a democracy and we can ban whoever we like. We just reached a tipping point with them. We will continue to keep an itchy ban finger for the time being because some people are making it unpleasant for the vast majority of people here who just want to talk about baseball and we won’t tolerate it.

That aside, our commenting rules are and will remain pretty permissive. We don’t shoot down comments or ban commenters simply for disagreeing with us. Or for being idiots. Or for using bad language. Or for being insensitive or controversial. It’s actually good when people argue or disagree about things or when others are taken out of their comfort zone. That’s when you learn things. And no one has the right to go through life without having their sensibilities offended from time to time. The last thing we want is for some phony level politeness, some hyper-orthodoxy or some brand of groupthink to rule the comments. Mix it up, and if you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

But really people, clean it up a bit. Be civil to one another. Understand that what may wash in a thread under one of my posts may not wash for the other HBT writers and know that, if you act like a jackass, you’re going to lose your commenting privileges. As always, we won’t tolerate the following:

• Racism;
  • Misogyny;
  • Homophobia or gay bashing;
  • Antisemitism;
  • Excessive personal attacks on other commenters.

This doesn’t mean you can’t talk about controversial topics. Or argue with people. But be adults about it.

Thanks.

378 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. pwshrugged - Apr 28, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Oh Craig, you just wanted an excuse to show off your absolutely legendary typo again. =P

I showed that to my wife when it happened, and she called him Dog Fister every start, giggling contentedly. I honestly think it contributed to Fister becoming one of her favorite Tigers.

2. tfbuckfutter - Apr 28, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Can we get a reporting system that results in a 24 hour ban for everyone who posts an earnest comment in response to one that is excessively and obviously sarcastic?

I’d rather read racism and homophobia than someone missing a joke because they are so busy trying to find their soapbox.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Apr 28, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Shut up, honkey!

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 28, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Racism against white people is actually the worst kind of racism because everyone lets it go.

I actually feel like I may have read that on here at some point, actually.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Apr 28, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Just to let you know, the colored tv comment has me almost on the floor laughing still. The girlfriend one I’ve heard before, but I lost it at the tv.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 28, 2014 at 3:00 PM

I was happy I posted that.

• Kevin S. - Apr 28, 2014 at 5:14 PM

What was the genesis of “shut up, honkey!”? I must have missed that one.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 28, 2014 at 5:23 PM

I kind of hate explaining things like that, but it was pretty random and I don’t think everyone is on board with it….but….

In one of the racism threads a dude was all “reverse racism and B.E.T. and derpaderpaderpa” and someone said “shut up honkey” and this other guy got all mad about how that proved the reverse racism point and no one was upset about it but they’d be upset about him saying “shut up n-word”….and it went back and forth between some of us (but the honkey guy just left that comment and then bailed)….and then the guy came back like 5 hours later and said “shut up honkey” to the guy who got all mad about him saying it to the other guy.

I think that guy had dropped it here and there in other threads too. Now we’ve adopted it. Because it’s hilarious.

• Kevin S. - Apr 28, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Oh, okay, didn’t realize that’s where it started. I’ve had to skim a lot of these threads recently and I tend to only follow closely the parts I’ve already posted in.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 28, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Yeah it gets tough when a thread starts ballooning (which is one of the reasons this is one of my favorite places to post, there aren’t too many comments like on all the major news sites….and also, another reason I don’t post on those sites is because I’m not “allowed” to anymore because apparently CNN isn’t in America where we have a First Amendment)

But that one, luckily, happened right off the bat, and was so memorable because the guy got soooo worked up.

• jjschiller - Apr 28, 2014 at 2:46 PM

That seems to happen to you a lot, tbuck, the people responding earnestly to your sarcastic posts thing. With all due respect, if people aren’t getting the jokes, you may need to work on your delivery.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 28, 2014 at 2:51 PM

It happens to him on a regular basis Schiller. Kind of odd too.
        I mean…the dudes sarcasm is so over the top it amazes me that people don’t see it.

• jjschiller - Apr 28, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Well, the other half of it is, there have been some real trolls here, so some of the things he says sarcastically don’t always stand out from the crowd of genuine ignorance.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 28, 2014 at 2:59 PM

No. My delivery is fine. My comments aren’t for everyone, but the ones they are for generally seem to enjoy them.

I find it funny when someone gets mad and thinks I’m being serious. It’s just annoying when they post a screed trying to prove a point that my original point is actually making.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 28, 2014 at 3:02 PM

The really sarcastic ones do concern me sometimes because I know at least some of the thumbs ups are coming from people who actually agree with it.

3. perryt200 - Apr 28, 2014 at 3:00 PM

*reblogged this*

*snicker

• djpostl - Apr 28, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Lol

4. proudlycanadian - Apr 28, 2014 at 3:00 PM

I was presumably sleeping when this happened, so I had better post something just to be sure I am still alive.

• nbjays - Apr 28, 2014 at 3:04 PM

:-)

• cur'68 - Apr 28, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Seriously? You ever get banned and I am never coming back here.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 28, 2014 at 4:22 PM

When I hit submit – I got a pop-up saying “You BARELY made the cut!” ;)

• historiophiliac - Apr 28, 2014 at 4:37 PM

lesser Hitler

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 28, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Godwin’s Law

No – my transgression’s were all ESPN Body Issue related. As were yours :)

• historiophiliac - Apr 28, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Mmmmmmmm

• nbjays - Apr 28, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Yay! Historio wins the “Godwin’s Law” award ;-)

• gloccamorra - Apr 28, 2014 at 5:08 PM

If polite Canadians are banned, only banners will have polite Canadians.

• happytwinsfan - Apr 28, 2014 at 5:11 PM

being Canadian and all would you like to say a few words over harry?

• proudlycanadian - Apr 28, 2014 at 5:15 PM

I did make a comment yesterday about Harry that was definitely not polite. Usually it is best to say nothing if you have nothing good to say about anyone.

• Kevin S. - Apr 28, 2014 at 5:16 PM

If I’m not mistaken, PC was the stated reason for harry’s poutine psychosis.

• happytwinsfan - Apr 28, 2014 at 8:05 PM

I feel kinda of bad about it to. although harry’s posts yesterday earned him his banning, and I’m told that he’s crossed the line before, I’m sure that contrary to his claims coming here meant a lot to him. But I suppose that he’s convinced himself that he was only banned because the rest of us couldn’t stand the blinding light of his searing brilliance.

5. baseballisboring - Apr 28, 2014 at 3:01 PM

I seriously had a dream I got banned from commenting here last night. Odd. But I guess I’m still here!

• renaado - Apr 28, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Some of your 9 lives has been taken, still, that profile name of yours still bothers me though. But nah, i’ll get over with it sometime.

• baseballisboring - Apr 28, 2014 at 6:16 PM

I like to confuse people.

6. kevinbnyc - Apr 28, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Is this a writing down of unwritten rules of commenting on HardballTalk?

7. ripjvh1009 - Apr 28, 2014 at 3:28 PM

I’ve been a longtime viewer of these posts and threads and I’ve finally decided to start posting. Regrettably there are plenty of jackwagons that use the anonymity of the internet to post foolish things, especially personal attacks.

I love fun banter and light-hearted trolling as much as anyone but man, some of the garbage people post is a little much.

Oh and perhaps people might think they can get away with posting nasty personal attacks “anonymously”. It’s clear they haven’t seen the end of “Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back” (Which can happen by the way).

8. babyfarkmcgeezax - Apr 28, 2014 at 3:34 PM

I’ve been a real jerk on here at times, I can’t believe I made the cut. All hail Craig!

• Craig Calcaterra - Apr 28, 2014 at 4:34 PM

You tend to direct your jerkiness at me and, believe me, I can take that weak sauce.

You also tend to stay away from landmines, and that’s important.

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 28, 2014 at 5:43 PM

[Puts grenade on the ground, pulls pin]

Chief WAHOOOOOO!

[Runs away!]

• Balladeer - Apr 28, 2014 at 5:11 PM

I can’t believe you made the cut, either. This comment though almost makes all your other ones worth it. This was hilarious.

• babyfarkmcgeezax - Apr 28, 2014 at 5:30 PM

I have admittedly dabbled in petty, mean-spirited squabbling far too many times and therefore am submitting my resignation as assistant manager of the jerk store. However, my critically acclaimed practice of intentionally taking sarcastic headlines literally and unfairly criticizing Craig for them shall continue.

• Old Gator - Apr 28, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Continuity is important.

• nbjays - Apr 28, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Speaking of which… did you ever find Craig’s popcorn? :-)

• blacksables - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:13 PM

That’s nice. The racist with the Frito Bandito schtick and the one who starts the name calling most mornings gets to stay. Yep, that’s fair.

• happytwinsfan - Apr 28, 2014 at 8:15 PM

and i will continue my practice of pretending to fall for it when you intentionally take sarcastic headlines literally and unfairly criticize Craig.

(coughs nervously)

• babyfarkmcgeezax - Apr 28, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Never found the popcorn, nbjays. However, I apologize for my past attacks on you, Old Gator and especially Craig. I have certainly spewed some regrettable, low-class comments that I wouldn’t do in person, and you guys all seem like good people that I agree with on most things anyway.

• happytwinsfan - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:13 PM

babyfark

with one exception, that i regret i chose not to respond to any of your hilariously stupid posts, because it really bothers me to see someone whose wheels turn a little slow get kicked (especially if it’s me).

now you’re revealing yourself to be a highly intelligent, morally earnest person with the personal strength and integrity to openly admit mistakes ??

you’ve got me feeling like the robert de niro character in ‘beat the drum slowly’. oh well, i guess i could do worse.

• cur'68 - Apr 28, 2014 at 11:05 PM

I can’t believe I’m actually starting to like this guy…I need to drink more…

• babyfarkmcgeezax - Apr 28, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Highly intelligent? Ha, that’s debatable, although I was once a spelling bee runner-up if that counts for anything. It doesn’t take much intelligence to know I’ve been out of line on several occasions though, and it took me too long to realize being an angry, petty nuisance is a waste of time and contributes nothing of worth. I actually do enjoy reading HBT and the message board discussions, and I finally realized how pointless and stupid it was to actively help in dragging the boards into the mud.

• nbjays - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Apology accepted. I haven’t been all that nice to you in the past either, but that will change starting now.

9. dexterismyhero - Apr 28, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Am I still active? My alter ego may have been here over the weekend.

10. sportsdrenched - Apr 28, 2014 at 3:38 PM

I enjoy reverse trolling the racists, sexists, why-is-this-newsers, and anti-semites. But I can’t stand those sombitches from PFT.

• Kevin S. - Apr 28, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Some things just aren’t redeemable. Commenting on PFT is one of them.

• deep64blue - Apr 28, 2014 at 3:57 PM

You’re not kidding!

11. kcroyal - Apr 28, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Can we just ban anyone that still supports Cliven Bundy? Because they are guaranteed to be racist morons who’s opinions should never be taken seriously anyway.

• nolanwiffle - Apr 28, 2014 at 3:57 PM

As long as he recovers fully from TJ surgery, I’ll still support him…..let’s go O’s!

• Old Gator - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:30 PM

I’m OK with Bundy as long as he keeps getting BLM welfare and keeps his cows off my lawn.

12. doctorofsmuganomics - Apr 28, 2014 at 4:00 PM

But I’m a doctor. As far as you know, I mean.

13. DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 28, 2014 at 4:15 PM

171 posts, and this isn’t 2 hours old? Can’t say I am surprised….still, wish I got in earlier.

Anyway, totally agree on all of this. As I have said before in other posts, I like mixing it up, but do indeed hope no one ever takes me too seriously….I often re-read comments I have made and thought “Jeez, I really said that??” Some of the people I have gotten into it with are my favorite people here, CC topping that list of course. But that said, I am trying to resolve to uhhhhh….read my posts a little more before hitting submit. Well written post

But above all, let us always remember – we are now, and for ever always will be better than PFT!!

• renaado - Apr 28, 2014 at 4:57 PM

PFT?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 28, 2014 at 4:59 PM

It’s the joint people spill over from when they can’t figure out Craig was joking about Football dying.

BTW, football is dying (waiting…..waiting….)

• cur'68 - Apr 28, 2014 at 5:00 PM

ProFootballTalk. They’re one link over to the left of HBT on the site’s toolbar. If you ever want to see how comment sections SHOULDN’T be run, head over there. Hold your nose, too.

• renaado - Apr 28, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Oh I see, that rugby like sport. Saw some videos of that sport though and it’s pretty brutal. There’s no way I’m followin that. I’m only spreadin the sport of Baseball here.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Rugby = sport of brutes played by gentlemen
        Football = sport of gentlemen played by brutes

• drewsylvania - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:44 PM

It’s that place where you aren’t allowed to say anything critical about Florio or the conclusions he makes.

• raysfan1 - Apr 28, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Being better than the PFT commentariat isn’t saying much.

I like football and will read the posts over there at times but find the comments section intolerable due to the large number of knuckle-draggers.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 28, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Yup and ditto

• lanflfan - Apr 30, 2014 at 12:54 AM

As my name implies, I started on PFT. I love football, but the PFT comment section is full of trolls more interested in dissing their rivals than intelligently discussing football. I much prefer HBT, and the entire baseball crowd here, than PFT any day.

14. nbjays - Apr 28, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Lots of good comments on here, but one more thing needs to be said…

Let’s all talk some baseball, people!!

15. thebadguyswon - Apr 28, 2014 at 4:44 PM

How long are bans – typically speaking?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 28, 2014 at 5:04 PM

I can’t speak for CC (the judge was very clear on that point), but I am pretty sure they are permanent. Halladys’ Biceps got his over turned….but that was after begging and pleading 250 times.

On a totally unrelated note – Elvis Costello got his ban on SNL over turned after 12 years, then later did a musical sketch with the Beastie Boys re-enacting that which he was banned for.

• hateonlyhatred - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:31 PM

The bans last as long as it takes to register a new WordPress account under a different email.

• Old Gator - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:39 PM

In which case, if the same commenters behave the same way, they’ll be orfed again. There comes a point of diminishing returns when you have to do all the typing to get back on but Craig can nuke you with a mouse click. I believe he also has recourse to blocking your computer address in general, or should, since I have that capability on a couple of web sites I oversee elsewhere. In those cases, you ackcherley would have to go from one computer to another to keep making a pest of yourself. No matter how obnoxious you want to be, that kind of thing gets old in a hurry.

• raysfan1 - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:50 PM

I believe it’s the IP address that gets blocked.

• hateonlyhatred - Apr 28, 2014 at 8:34 PM

There are ways around an IP address block as well.

• renaado - Apr 28, 2014 at 11:12 PM

This is pretty bad, I’m letting aresachaela borrow my laptop sometimes and she already has her profile name in my laptop. So let’s say she was banned here then I’d get banned too?

• raysfan1 - Apr 28, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Yes, but she has in no way posted anything that should get anybody banned, so don’t worry about it, Renaado.

• renaado - Apr 28, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Thank you raysfan1, guess I really need to remind her about this just in case.

• raysfan1 - Apr 29, 2014 at 12:05 AM

She posted on the first page that she was worried, so I reassured her directly there. I really don’t think either of you have anything to worry about. You are both welcome additions to the comments section in my view.

• aresachaela - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:02 AM

Sorry Ren, I didn’t know about this. But don’t worry I wont get myself banned here. Trust me on this, alright ;-) .

16. renaado - Apr 28, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Craig, as much as I idolized Selig your statements here made me realize how amazing this site is!

Let’s all talk Baseball, explain things that are needed to be corrected while putting aside negative statements that could hurt someone, most of all… Don’t take the net as an advantage but put it to good use by helpin people out, not discourage them

17. shanabartels - Apr 28, 2014 at 5:05 PM

I don’t post on HBT very often, and a lot of that is because there are so many idiots who frequent the comments that it largely makes constructive conversation impossible. The recent thread about the “Josh Lueke is a rapist” situation is a prime example of that. The level of misogyny, ignorance, and overall offensiveness on there was pretty amazing, and when I did post something I thought was pretty level-headed and fair, it got a lot of thumbs down and took a while for the thumbs up to outweigh the thumbs down. I don’t take that personally or let it hurt my feelings at all, but I do take it as a metric (albeit an imperfect one) for how many idiots take issue with an intelligent woman making an intelligent point about why it is problematic for MLB to employ a convicted rapist. And that’s just the unfortunate state of the internet today.

Some regulars here are quite alright though. Old Gator, Cur, historiophiliac, et al. — you guys are great. I only wish there were fewer offensive idiots, because it’s extremely unbalanced.

• Kevin S. - Apr 28, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Ignore the thumbs. We have a thumb harpy that takes some twisted pleasure in downvoting every reasonable comment dozens of times. It’s not reflective of the overall commentariat.

• Old Gator - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Yeah. The next step should be getting rid of these idiotic thumbs completely. Think of all the idiots who wouldn’t even lurk here if they couldn’t play thumb games. They’d all have to go back to Facebook where they came from since, as the old Mennonite in Blood Meridian once said, “Hell ain’t half full.”

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:12 PM

It was nice before them, but I think HBT put them based on multiple requests for them. It’s far better than one comment and fifteen straight +1 comments a la Deadspin.

• shanabartels - Apr 29, 2014 at 1:27 AM

Fair enough. That sounds plausible to me.

• raysfan1 - Apr 28, 2014 at 5:52 PM

What Kevin said on the down-thumbs. It is unfortunate that some people get their jollies being offensive numbskulls on the internet, but never confuse them with the majority. The reason I started following Craig’s blog a few years ago was actually the relative absence of rudeness. That had changed recently, and I hope this shot over the bow from him helps.

• shanabartels - Apr 29, 2014 at 1:29 AM

As long as they really enforce the guidelines, things could get more peaceful for a while.

• sportsdrenched - Apr 28, 2014 at 5:55 PM

I’ve participated in internet forums since Al Gore invented them, way back during Steroid Era. I have to say this is probably the best one I have participated in, in terms commenter rationality and exchange of ideas.

Just like anywhere in life, you’re going to have the crazy outliers. but overall I think this place is pretty neat.

• shanabartels - Apr 29, 2014 at 1:30 AM

You must frequent some interesting corners of the internet.

• Kevin S. - Apr 29, 2014 at 7:40 AM

Honestly, we used to be much, much better. As somebody stated elsewhere in this thread, at some point the blog reached a critical mass in terms of readership and we started drawing the trolls. It’s a damn shame, because the expanded readership has brought in a lot of quality new commentors, too.

I do miss the days when our biggest troll was Jay Horowitz’s sock puppet, chrisny3. He was stubborn as a mule too, no matter how often he was demonstrated to be wrong, but he mostly limited his wrongness to defending the Wilpons.

18. cowboysoldiertx - Apr 28, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Im just glad the bestiality talk has stopped!

• clemente2 - Apr 28, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Did someone call Dog Fister?

19. jkcalhoun - Apr 28, 2014 at 6:27 PM

To whom it may concern: I’ll continue to be absent as often as I have been, not by choice but also not by the ban hammer.

I think.

You may proceed with your accustomed civil discussion of the matters at hand. Thank you.

20. hateonlyhatred - Apr 28, 2014 at 6:51 PM

You’re not going to crack down on fake racism BS are you, Craig Calcaterra? I’d really like an answer. Don’t shy away from the me, Craig Calcaterra. Am I in your crosshairs because I speak the truth about race and won’t cower in a corner when some moron unjustly calls me a racist? Most people on this board have no clue what racism actually is. I’m not sure you do either, Craig Calcaterra.

• renaado - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Tell me what racist is, based on your own opinion.

• indaburg - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Don’t feed the trolls, renaado…

• aresachaela - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Jeez Ren! Stop taking everything seriously LOL XD!!

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Hey it’s been eleven days, have you figured out any ways that Republicans have helped minorities or do you still need more time to do some research?

• hateonlyhatred - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:38 PM

COPO the clown: I don’t waste my time trying to educate those who won’t listen. I just like to point out the idiocy I see from the liberal nut jobs. Pissing them off is easy, but educating them is impossible. Take note: Socialism will not fly with a majority of this country. One day your hand outs will be cut significantly. Quit taking my money, A-holes!!!!

• Old Gator - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Keep calling people who are smarter than you are a-holes and you’ll join your nitwit buddy sandrafluke in limbo. This was exactly what Craig was talking about.

• cur'68 - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Well, apparently he’s “gathering information” on me. Wants to fight me, I guess. I’m supposed to cower and run away. Check out his rantings there on the Matt Kemp/Sterling post.

Frankly, if some crazed person looms out at me shouting the kind of argle-bargle-herpa-derpa he engages in I have no flippin’ idea what I’m going to do. Probably restrain the dog from biting his ass, but after that I haven’t much of a plan.

I think, if you’re going to poke this nut COPO, you might want to consider a plan if starts “gathering information” on you. Don’t be like me and walk around with a bemused look on your face every time you see a crazed person with wild hair and epic BO.

I’m off to walk my dog in the sunset on the beach. If he charges me I guess I’ll drag him into the water, dog hanging from his ass, and see if the rumours of sharks are true. The shark fishermen seem really keen, so I’m inclined to trust them.

• jkcalhoun - Apr 28, 2014 at 8:14 PM

I have to agree; all of hoh’s money that he could possibly have accumulated without participation in a working society and a functional economy should be immune from taxation.

It’s possible that we may disagree on how much of it that is, however. He didn’t say how much of it is, in his words, “my money”, and how much of it is “our money” that he happens to be using just now.

• raysfan1 - Apr 28, 2014 at 8:16 PM

COPO,
        In the interest of fairness…
        Senate Republicans voted unanimously in favor of the Civil Rights Act of 1957 (House Republicans, while not unanimous also voted overwhelmingly in favor of it).
        Much of the credit for the Civil Rights Act of 1964 rightfully belongs to Sen Everett Dirksen, Republican minority leader, from Illinois. His leadership was directly responsible for House and Senate Republicans each voting 80% in favor of passage.
        Both laws had significantly more support among Republicans of the time than Democrats.

Now, obviously, that was a long time ago, but it is the true Republican heritage. Too many in recent years have taken to applying single-issue litmus tests, declaring party members “not conservative enough,” and seemingly willing to lose elections rather than compromise.

• Kevin S. - Apr 28, 2014 at 8:39 PM

It’s not just a long time ago, it’s pre-Southern Strategy. There are legitimately Republicans who are in the party because they’re fiscal conservatives, with their social attitudes being liberal, moderate or apathetic, but they general don’t hold prominent positions in the party, and the GOP maintains much of its base with racial dog-whistling.

There is a minority of Republicans who want to relax mandatory minimums and end the War on Drugs. Rand Paul and Chris Christie are the most prominent among them. They’ve both proposed (Paul) or enacted (Christie) policies that would keep non-violent drug users out of incarceration and keep career-ruining convictions off their records, and both have explicitly stated how the status quo disproportionately affects people of color. They’re absolutely right about this. Republicans don’t own this issue, however; tackling drugs in America is an issue that’s split both parties. And that’s about the best I can come up with for how the modern GOP has helped minorities.

• hateonlyhatred - Apr 28, 2014 at 8:48 PM

I think you should continue to be absent from posting if you are going have such non-illuminating comments, jkcalhoun. If more people had to pay taxes in this country we would have voters who would pay better attention to these criminal politicians and what they do with that tax money. When people don’t have to pay taxes they’ve got nothing to lose, so of course the non taxpayer is going to vote to take the taxpayers money. Which is why I advocate no voting privileges for those who don’t pay taxes. You should have something invested in the system to vote. Goodbye Democratic party if that ever happens. Hello more money in my bank account too. I always get to keep more of the money I earn when a Republican is the President.

• raysfan1 - Apr 28, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Kevin, I’m aware I’m the minority in my party now, or at least it often seems that way. I point out that it was not always that way.

• hateonlyhatred - Apr 28, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Handing out entitlements and economically enslaving minorities is not helping them. Buying their votes through handouts and keeping them down without hope is reprehensible. That’s what the Democratic party stands for.

• Kevin S. - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Economic enslavement, huh? That’s adorable. Was your hero Paul Ryan “economically enslaved” when he was able to use Social Security benefits to put himself through college? It’s a dark twist of irony that a man who could be such a shining example of how the social safety net helps people get back on their feet when life has round-housed them in the face is instead doing everything in his power to dismantle that safety net so that rich people can pay less in taxes than they have since World War II.

• Kevin S. - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Also, you’re deflecting. You still haven’t answered what Republicans have done to help minorities.

• jkcalhoun - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Which is why I advocate no voting privileges for those who don’t pay taxes.

That 47% thing sure worked wonders in the last election. I couldn’t be more pleased that you’re willing to continue playing that card so openly.

• Kevin S. - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:20 PM

The hilarious thing about the 47% line is how much of the 47% actually votes Republican. Enlisted military members. Seniors. Large swaths of the Bible Belt (seriously, look at heat maps of where the largest concentrations of welfare payouts as a percentage of gross income are and then tell me that it’s bribes for Democrat voters). The vast majority of states that are at the top end of paying more in taxes than they receive in benefits are solidly blue, with the only exceptions being states with lots of oil.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Good luck trying to get a bill passed that pisses off the elderly. Oh wait, you do realize that those 47% Romney talked about were made up mostly of poor white people, students, the disabled, the military, and the elderly right? Of course you did.

Come on, just one bit of proof to back up anything you say? Just one!

@raysfan1

Check the thread on the musical group about Hank Aaron for background on my comment.

• jkcalhoun - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Yes, that’s the way of it, and many of the swing voters really do pay taxes, but telling the electorate that a major party platform is unconcerned with the interests of large swaths of them is just the sort of frank and illuminating talk that we could use a lot more of.

It’s not just oligarchy for ideology’s sake: privilege demands to be hoarded! Print that up on campaign buttons and pass ‘em around.

• raysfan1 - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:47 PM

COPO,
        I know. I saw it at the time even though I didn’t comment then. I generally don’t wade into threads that get political. However, I am a Republican who too often feels his party is being hijacked. Many of the lawmakers I grew up admiring would now likely get tagged “not conservative enough” by a very vocal segment of the party.

• drewsylvania - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Many/most Republicans now are *way* different than Republications 40-50 years ago. Half a century ago, they were actually economic conservatives–and people who weren’t interested in big government. Nowadays, there’s a lot of lip service toward “big government” while they instead work to add invasive federal laws…

• Kevin S. - Apr 28, 2014 at 10:02 PM

No, you’re right raysfan. The GOP used to be a party one could respect even if one disagreed with its goals. Then they started doing crap like primarying Dick Lugar.

• hateonlyhatred - Apr 28, 2014 at 10:07 PM

COPO COPO the clown: The violence in the inner city isn’t because the people there are getting hurt fighting for jobs. You don’t have to fight for a job when you can sit back and wait for the welfare dollars, food stamps, and section 8 to come in and make your life sooooo sweeeeettttt. Adorable. Someone mentioned adorable here earlier. I’ll tell you what is adorable. Seeing the freshly manicured fingers and toes on a woman sporting freshly inked tattoos while trying not to mess up their new hair doo as she balances two kids reaching for her food stamps and WIC coupons. That’s freaking adorable. I wonder how she votes, COPO, COPO the clown? Any ideas? I’d ask her but she just ran out with her future third child’s father, which is different than both father #1 and father #2 of her first two kids, in his $200.00 pair of Jordan’s and hopped in a brand new car thinking she could never afford this if she had to buy her own groceries. Suckers!!!! These types of scenes play out over and over all across the good ole USA every first of the month. So save me your drivel about 47%. This is the last time I’m going to say it, I’m tired of repeating myself. There should be no food stamps unless you don’t own a vehicle and are shoeless, don’t take that literally morons, you know what I mean. There should be no help unless you are willing to help yourself. Cutting welfare, food stamps and Section 8 is a start. A might good start. To those on food stamps I say, FEED YOURSELF DAMN IT!! If you can’t figure out how to do the basic number one thing to survive you don’t deserve to survive.

• jkcalhoun - Apr 28, 2014 at 10:38 PM

I’m tired of repeating myself.

By all means please continue. I see you as helping to solve the midterm election turnout problem.

• Kevin S. - Apr 28, 2014 at 10:47 PM

So instead of coming up with GOP policies that have helped minorities, you instead draw caricatures that, even if they do exist, are incredibly rare and are not at all representative of federal benefits assistance. Got it.

• hateonlyhatred - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:28 AM

Kevin S: You are just another idiot who has no idea what he is talking about. These aren’t caricatures that rarely happen. I see it every single month around the first. I know a lot of people in the grocery industry and they will tell you the same sickening stories. There is a LARGE percentage of people who take advantage of the hand outs they receive. Rather than having pride and wanting to get off the dole they expect their hand outs and think they should get more. Then they spend the money they should be spending on groceries on expensive clothes, tattoos, manicures and pedicures and expensive hairdos. We need to get rid of the type of scum who does stuff like that. Get them out of the welfare line. Cut them off. You liberal pieces of crap want to continue to give these morons help because it makes you feel good. Plus, it buys you the votes you desperately need.

Kevin S. I find you to be a despicable human being. I’m sickened by the liberal point of view and I’m sickened at how the liberal media, including the internet, tries to silence the RIGHT in this country. You can block us off of this little HBT site but I can get around such a block if I so desire. I wish I knew how to get ahold of the others who have been blocked so I could tell them. Silencing us through a block to make yourself look like a majority is pretty “weak sauce” to use Calcaterra’s words.

I’ve read a lot of your responses on this website, Kevin S. I don’t like you. I suggest you stay away from me in the future. I don’t want or need your comments. So leave me alone or I’ll put you in the same class as Cur’68. That Florida boy knows where he stands with me.

• Kevin S. - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:13 AM

That’s nice, tough guy. For somebody who claims to hate only hatred, you sure seem to hate a lot of other things, including people who have differing views. When confronted with facts and statistics, you come back with unverified anecdotes, weak sauce personal attacks and laughably feeble threats. I’m certainly not going to claim any moral high ground when it comes to the attacks, but then again, I’ve never pretended I was above that.

Guess what big guy, I don’t particularly care for you either. Not because of your political views, but because, on a post about commenter decorum, you find it necessary to threaten people who responded to your points in a civil manner. For all your talk about not being silenced, you sure seem to be all about silencing dissent. You’re engaging in the comment version of a SLAPP, without the wherewithal to make it stick. Guess what? I’m going to comment on what I want, when I want, and I’m not going to “stay away from” anything. I’ve reading this blog since before it was hosted on nbcsports.com. If you can’t stand me that much, then feel free to not talk to me, but I will not be bullied by your scumbaggery.

Also, you still haven’t told us what the GOP has done to help minorities.

• Kevin S. - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:20 AM

Oh, and when you do get banned – perhaps not now, but somehow I doubt you’ll be able to contain yourself – know that it’s because you couldn’t follow the simple guidelines Craig laid out in this post, not because of your politics. Something to think about when you’re trying to get around the block.

• Kevin S. - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:37 AM

Buying the votes, huh?

I’m sure that, having been presented with evidence that welfare benefits predominantly don’t go to Democratic voters, we’ll now be able to sit down, have a reasonable conversation about our differences and move forward with a renewed mutual respect for each other.

Oh, who am I kidding? You’re going to ignore the evidence, post more anecdotes, and attack and threaten me again. Kind of looking forward to it, actually.

• hateonlyhatred - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:54 AM

I already did tell how the GOP helps minorities. Go find it if you want, Kevin S. I’m not going to serve it up on a platter for you. Like if I want to find your Twitter account, I must search for it. I’m not wasting my time with chumps like you. I know that your mind can’t be changed. The liberal is sick and needs to feel protected by an over bloated government that regulates everything from gas cans to how much toothpaste can go in a tube. Your “statistics” and “facts” are all lies. The majority of the welfare dollars, food stamps and Section 8 aren’t going to people in the military or the elderly. You are a liar. I don’t like you so you BEST stay away from me. Consider that my last friendly warning.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:55 AM

This is your plan to help people? Cut off the only lifeline(s) they have? You still haven’t answered the question genius. Show me ways that the Republicans have actually helped minorities. You keep avoiding the question (and a good search shows you haven’t shown a way, so stop lying).

I told you last time he’s Canadian. You know, the country to the north? Do I have to draw you a map?

Haha internet tough guy!

• Kevin S. - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Oh, this has been friendly so far? My mistake, I thought you were being an unrepentant troglodyte, lashing out at anybody with the audacity to challenge you. I’m sorry we’re not all going to bow down and slink away just because you assert that you’re right and we’re whatever names you feel like calling us. I will continue to comment on whatever subject strikes my interest on these boards. If you don’t care for the free exchange of ideas here, you can sod off.

So who told you the distribution of welfare receipts I posted was a lie, Infowars or World Net Daily?

• hateonlyhatred - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:20 PM

[BANNED]

• Old Gator - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Kevin, you’ve just done the hard work of exposing the neofascist lowlife for what he really is. Why not have a beer and leave him stewing in his own acid reflux? We knew his shell would crack – maybe it’s molting season for teabaggers? It’s treefrog mating season here – and he’d reveal himself to be a vicious, violent, bullying slug. Frankly, I’m delighted that he’s a right wingnut. I wouldn’t want him anywhere near the worker’s paradise.

• cur'68 - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Holy crap, he frickin snapped.

Look, Hate!Only Hatred!: none of this was personal until you made it personal, ok? I’m leaving myself out of that, just in case I provoked you in my response to your clearly race charged rant about Henry Aaron (your “pass the weed” screed as I think of it: I have a hard time with people like you who persist in characterizing people like me with your bigotry) but these guys TRIED to be civil with you and asked you to back up your statements with facts. You have not. Instead you’ve completely lost the plot and started threatening people over the internet.

Now, if you want to make some case law for Craig, fine. But keep in mind other countries have grappled with what you’re doing and it didn’t go well for the threatener, ok? If someone takes the way you are behaving seriously they can notify the authorities, who will petition your service provider for your name and address and they’ll go get you. Its happened before and it can happen to you, so cool it.

This is a debate, not a cage fight. Use the internet as a resource to back up your arguments not a medium to threaten people with. The way you are acting, I strongly suspect it will be but a matter of time before the cops are knocking on your door.

• Old Gator - Apr 29, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Ah well, another goon squad enforcer bites the dust. Can’t say he wasn’t warned. The constitution is taking a real beating down here the last couple of days, innit?

• Kevin S. - Apr 29, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Mother. Effer. I put all that work into him, and then he goes and pops while I’m away?

• Kevin S. - Apr 29, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Was there anything juicy?

• raysfan1 - Apr 29, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Dunno, didn’t see the last comment either, but it’s almost like he started commenting on this post with the intent of getting himself banned.

• cur'68 - Apr 29, 2014 at 5:31 PM

He threatened to kick your ass, wring your neck and probably curse you unto the n-th generation. He was clearly foaming at the mouth.

• Kevin S. - Apr 29, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Nice. Wish I was here for it, I think I literally would have taken OG’s advice and kicked back with a Black & Tan.

• Kevin S. - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Actually, I take that back. I’d probably have been unable to help myself and asked him if he wanted to meet by the dumpsters behind the gym after sixth period.

21. hojo20 - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:23 PM

TL/DR

22. floriojr - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Yay I love rules…. and Craig’s sense of humor :)

23. mackypinky - Apr 28, 2014 at 8:42 PM

How do people have so much extra time to harass people who like to talk about baseball? Watching and talking about baseball is the best. So many different folks like baseball-it inspires a venue for sharing experiences that actually bring people together. Or at least gives them an opportunity to eat great sausages, see feats of glory, and mock ridiculous tv announcers. Thanks NBC & Craig, for weeding out the truly unnecessary harassment.

• aresachaela - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Baseball is the best sport EVER!! Glad Ren introduced me to this sport!!

24. seanwasamarine - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:08 PM

I’m guilty of the every now and then rude comments for shock value, but nothing racist, homophobic, or sexist.

25. drewsylvania - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Do your powers extend to PHT? There are a few that need banning there (I’m looking at you, muckleflugga).

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2936)