There was some decent pitching yesterday

Apr 28, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT

I made a reference in ATH this morning about there being a lot of good pitching performances, but I didn’t realize how many good ones. Try this on for size:

Stark factoids tend to be hit or miss in terms of overall interestigness, but this one is definitely a hit.

I, for one, welcome our new Dead Ball Era overlords.

1. sdelmonte - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:21 AM

So, a new golden age of pitching? A diminution of hitting after the steroid era? A collapse of hitting patience as everything becomes a strikeout? The effects of cold April weather? All of the above? None of the above?

• spudchukar - Apr 28, 2014 at 11:13 AM

I’m going with mostly, A) collapse of hitting patience and the swing for the fences, strikeouts be damned, B) the emergence of a lot of quality, poised hurlers with remarkable command for their age, and C) the further employment of shifts.

2. cur'68 - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:26 AM

I think the performance I enjoyed the most was AJ Burnett’s. He was never in any real trouble, he had a minimum of run support, and he was throwing injured. I gotta hand it to a guy who can deliver under those circumstances. The down side is that people may think his Magic Groin was the reason, but it wasn’t really. This is Burnett, now. A strike thrower with confidence and enough arm to overpower hitters once he has them guessing.

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Groin Injuries are the new inefficiency. Line up boys and take one for the team!

• cur'68 - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:59 AM

I know just enough about hernias to know I really don’t want one. So, I hope his hernia doesn’t get worse or strangulate because that will SUCK. Throwing with that popping in and out can’t be comfortable no matter what he says about it helping him. Anyone who thinks that hernia is benefitting him in any real way needs to have one, I think.

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 28, 2014 at 10:04 AM

I don’t think anybody’s thinking that. Well, anybody who is rational anyway.

• cur'68 - Apr 28, 2014 at 10:15 AM

You seen some of the comments on here? Plenty of the non-rational around. But I think you’re right: no one much thinks this. And, so long as AJ thinks its helping him, who cares?

Now I don’t want any of you Phans to go and disappoint me, mmkay? No wishing The Magic Groin on anyone else on the staff. No suggestions that Ryan Howard should consider it to help him cut down his swing vs Lefties; none of that, ok?

I’ll be SO disappointed if I see that…..

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 28, 2014 at 10:37 AM

The funny thing is Howard has actually been hitting them better, of course that was as of last week, small sample sizes, really crappy relief pitchers, etc. etc. But it was fun to read Bill Baer’s post pointing it out.

• cur'68 - Apr 28, 2014 at 10:42 AM

I know he has. Its like he heard AJ talking about “over striding” and “trying too hard” and thought “I need to swing like I got The Magic Groin”.

I’m rooting for your boys, FC. If it takes a team full of guys playing like they have hernias, then dang man, go for it: just win.

*Especially when AJ Burnett’s pitching 8)

3. paperlions - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Did someone ask Frank Thomas what he things about that?

4. cohnjusack - Apr 28, 2014 at 10:47 AM

The April ERA hasn’t been too far off of what it’s been the best few years

2014: 3.81
    2013: 3.93
    2012: 3.84
    2011: 3.90

Though the last season to have an April ERA lower than the current one was 1992 (3.73).

• spudchukar - Apr 28, 2014 at 11:16 AM

That can be pretty deceiving though. The starting pitching, particularly in the NL has been generally stellar. And then there is the AL East and Central to balance out the good stuff coming out of the NL.

5. stevequinn - Apr 28, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Just another superlative outing from Adam Wainwright. The guy is money in the bank.

6. gloccamorra - Apr 28, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Ian Kennedy of the Padres went 7, 3 hits, 1 run, 0 walks and 9 Ks against the Nationals. The Diamondbacks had enough pitching so the Padres got him last year for a loogy and a couple minor league relievers.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS