Video of the Day: Disrespectful Carlos Gomez makes a kid cry

Apr 28, 2014, 8:24 AM EDT

When will someone — somewhere — get through to this punk about what it means to respect the game? God.

I’m sure the kids would be just as into Gomez as they are if he never showed color, flair exuberance or style on the field. Kids just LOVE players who “go about their business the right way” and adhere to all of the rules.

1. papalurchdxb - Apr 28, 2014 at 8:30 AM

It just shows a complete lack of appreciation for what this girl will now go through.

I mean, he hugs her – makes her cry – & now all of her friends will see her crying on the internet!

Won’t you think of the children Carlos, for goodness sake.

2. chill1184 - Apr 28, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Nice job Gomez

3. renaado - Apr 28, 2014 at 8:34 AM

Truly a nice gesture by Gomez right there.

4. hojo20 - Apr 28, 2014 at 8:43 AM

It only takes a couple seconds to make a lifetime memory, well done by Carlos.

5. ripwarrior - Apr 28, 2014 at 8:50 AM

What ever happened to players signing autographs before games? When I was a kid that was one of the reasons to get to the game early. It’s rare to see players sign anything now.

• scatterbrian - Apr 28, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Sadly, most of the kids have been replaced by adults looking for sh!t to sell on eBay.

A coworker was recently at an Angels game with his daughter, and after she got a ball signed by Trout some jackass tried to take the ball out of her hand.

• gloccamorra - Apr 28, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Some of those jerks actually HIRE kids to get autographs. George Brett always said he looked for scruffy kids with beat-up gloves who looked like they were asking for themselves without an adult hovering behind them.

Arnold Palmer always signed everything, so his autograph should be near-worthless after the 10-millionth, but he talks to the people he signs for, especially the kids, and so many keep them as personal mementos that his autograph is still worth nearly as much as a much rarer Jack Nicklaus signature.

• scatterbrian - Apr 28, 2014 at 8:49 PM

That is all nonsense to me. Autographs should only be valuable to the person who obtained it because it comes with a story, a brush with fame, etc. Why anyone would pay for someone’s autograph is beyond me, but I don’t really see the value in an autograph anyway.

I was in Hawaii in 1996 and was checking out the gift shop in whatever hotel I was dining at that night. To my right I saw Chad Smith and his wife. I easily could have asked for an autograph — at the time he was probably featured in the Rolling Stone or Spin in the gift shop’s magazine rack. Instead, when he looked over in my direction, I just gave him a nod as if to say, “I know who you are and you rock.” He nodded back as if to say “I can see you know who I am, and that you’re going to leave me and my ladyfriend alone since we’re on vacation and enjoying a romantic evening and you understand we would appreciate some privacy. So thanks buddy!” I’m paraphrasing.

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 28, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Kids can no longer sit down low on the field to do so. I don’t think too many of the parks are open for batting practice anymore, (I could be wrong on this).

• scatterbrian - Apr 28, 2014 at 4:55 PM

From what little I’ve observed recently, players seem to be policing it. If the kids can get up there they seem to get priority.

6. Old Gator - Apr 28, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Nice gesture. That girl will be having a blast at school this morning.

7. ditto65 - Apr 28, 2014 at 8:56 AM

What a punk.

• toddbook - Apr 28, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Punk? For what, making a girl’s day?

8. sfm073 - Apr 28, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Craig you must have a very boring life to care so much about what others think.

• baberuthslegs - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:03 AM

And sfm073 think about how boring your life must be if you fill it with making negative comments about a blogger and his posts.

9. cur'68 - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Awww.

/hat tip

10. DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:11 AM

There is this interesting streak in Craig….it seems to me to be part contrarian, part defense lawyer, part some sort of big brother protectorate….probably some other things too. As soon as people don’t like a player, he has falls in LOVE with that player and goes on these defense missions.

• Craig Calcaterra - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Usually because the reason people start to hate a player is really, really stupid. Why anyone works up enough bile to hate an athlete is a mystery to me.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 28, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Fair enough – the flip side is true as well. Why do people jump for joy and call it the greatest moment in there life when a group total stranger with massive egos win a ball game?

I do both – and make no apologies ;)

• downvotesforeveryone - Apr 28, 2014 at 10:42 AM

What about Alfredo Simon? Can we hate him?

• chc4 - Apr 28, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Who are you to tell people who they should/shouldn’t like? You’re the one acting like a douche.

• psl1196 - Apr 28, 2014 at 6:02 PM

You understand that without those peope your chance of geting paid for “reporting” on sports is basically zero?

11. randygnyc - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Oh, please!!! I’m sure he was just grooming her for later.

/s

• baberuthslegs - Apr 28, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Even in a sarcasm font that is not appropriate.

12. toddbook - Apr 28, 2014 at 12:02 PM

It’s too bad ignorant people like “Craig” get to post things at all.

How has Gomez ever disrespected the game? By playing 100% always? If you look at what that chump Cole was so “showed up” about, It was really nothing. Many players do a hell of a lot more than what Gomez did there. So he flipped his bat? Is he the first player to ever do that? No. Oh, he’s the first player to “trot” down to first? No. Many, many do much more than Gomez. Did he stare down the pitcher? No. Cole is the one that made a big deal of it by approaching Gomez and talking smack, and then by the way, walking away like a coward and letting his teammates fight his battle. Cole started the entire thing and that coward got no suspension. The MLB officials that handed down the suspensions are idiots. If what Gomez did was “disrespectful” what do you call what David Ortiz does? What a bunch of hypocrites!

• cur'68 - Apr 28, 2014 at 12:09 PM

New here, eh? This post is written with what we “sarcasm”. How do I know this (beyond that its just obvious)? Well, ever since Gomez had his little run in with Cole, its been “Craig” saying precisely what you just said. So go back, adjust the old brain for “Sarcasm”, read the post above, watch the clip, and try this comment again. I think you’ll be much happier with “Craig” after you do.

• stex52 - Apr 28, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Sarcasm doesn’t play well on this site, Cur. Tend to get too many literal responses, even when we use the little “/s”. And then it gets used for repulsive stuff like the note just up a few.

We are just not good at conveying it to each other.

How was the fishing trip?

• cur'68 - Apr 28, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Tell me about it! Lord knows I’ve missed sarcasm, too. But this one’s really egregious especially given all the crap Craig takes from people for defending Gomez and his hot headed Latino brethren, Dog Love Them All.

Anyhow, check out the league report for notes on my fishing trip. It was tremendously successful and now I want to do that as my regular hobby.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Apr 28, 2014 at 1:26 PM

It’s too bad ignorant people like “Craig” get to post things at all.

If that’s even your name at all, “Craig!” What are you trying to hide, “Craig”?

• psl1196 - Apr 28, 2014 at 6:14 PM

1. You don’t understand sarcasm

2. You believe yelling at somebody deserves a suspension greater than or equal to the suspension that is handed down for swinging a helmet at another player

Awesome

• shaggytoodle - Apr 28, 2014 at 11:12 PM

I know that no helmet is swung if Cole doesn’t say anything, especially if the Pirates dug out by 3rd base doesn’t empty out.

How would any person or animal reaact feeling backed into a corner.

I don’t know if Cole should be suspended he’s a starting pitcher so we all know it doesn’t matter as much, but he should have at least been tossed from that game

13. johnnyb1976 - Apr 28, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Back in the good ol days Gomez would receive many fastballs high and tight. Oh how I miss those days, and Gomez is glad he didn’t play in them.

• beermakers - Apr 28, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Even if he did, do you think he’d get all bent out of shape like Cole did?

Gomez wouldn’t, he doesn’t get mad when you throw, up and in, he doesn’t get mad when you throw 98, he doesn’t get mad when you throw a slider in the dirt.

• brewcrewchamps - Apr 28, 2014 at 3:15 PM

He just takes a huge whiff at the slider and misses by a foot.

But, that was the old Gomez. Somewhere along the line he stopped swinging at everything in the dirt. Thank whoever is responsible for that.

• beermakers - Apr 28, 2014 at 3:54 PM

He still swings like crazy, sometimes it seems making solid contract with the ball is the only thing that keeps him balanced.

Hopefully he can continue to get more patient, it seems he’s been doing better than the first 2 weeks, but when he’s up with the bases loaded I think everyone knows he’s trying to hit one a mile.

• brewcrewchamps - Apr 28, 2014 at 5:49 PM

I do enjoy watching himself corkscrew to his knees. He swings SO hard sometimes, and when that happens you hear the whole stadium “ooooooo”

Gomez was one of my least favorites when he came over, now the opposite.

• jwbiii - Apr 28, 2014 at 7:57 PM

And when was this?

14. earpaniac - Apr 28, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Okay, Craig. We get it. A few more and you’re in Florio and the Redskin name territory.

15. btilghman - Apr 28, 2014 at 1:49 PM

What the video doesn’t show is that, after hitting a home-run in terms of fan relations, he flipped the girl and then showboated a lap around the stadium.

• padraighansen - Apr 28, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Actually, after hitting the dinger, he went into the stands and bought a few of the hot dogs you were selling. But, selling hot dogs at ballpark sure beats those squeegee days under the bridge, eh? /s

• btilghman - Apr 28, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Okay, maybe it was a stupid joke, but that doesn’t justify a response denigrating people working low-wage jobs, and homeless people.

• padraighansen - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:28 PM

I’m not – but I’m not the one making jokes about teenage girls. Believe me – no mention of the girl, I type nothing. Just consider what I’m doing as the Brian McCann of your post….you crossed the line of unwritten comment board etiquette by making comments about teenage girls.

See how intent can be misinterpreted?

16. Joe Vecchio - Apr 28, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Well I admire Gomez’ intensity, but he needs to control his temper…

17. stlouis1baseball - Apr 28, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Well that does it. You have now convinced my C.C.
    Carlos gets a pass for everything…from this moment forward. This one incredibly wonderful deed trumps every other thing he may or may not have done that previously required scorn.

18. beermakers - Apr 28, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Say what you want about the Easter Brewhaha, and the way Gomez reacted.

Its pretty obvious that Gomez knows what is most important when it comes to the game.

Fans >>> what a player does with his bat upon exiting the batters box, or whatever made Cole feel it was justified to bark at Gomez..

19. musketmaniac - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:21 PM

wow you people are worse than a lynch mob. What do you get when take two intelligent people and add a genius, three morons. I am Pittsburgh fan and enough is enough. The brewers suck, Gomez is a good player.

20. padraighansen - Apr 28, 2014 at 9:24 PM

What’s really interesting is to hear how broadcasters react to Gomez. I flipped on the Cardinals-Brewers game with the Cardinals telecast….and to hear the (name withheld) comments of the lead play-by-play man for the Cardinals, you’d think Gomez was the worst person…ever. As he described Gomez “standing at home plate, not moving, admiring his shot…and eventually moved, and made it to third”, I almost chuckled. Having seen the play several times, Gomez NEVER stood and admired his shot. Flipped the bat – absolutely. It’s one thing for idiots like Brian McCann (I wonder what he’d think of Evan Gattis’ HR pose?) or Gerrit Cole to, in the heat of the game, get upset. It’s completely another for a DB like the Cardinals broadcaster to do so. Cardinal fans know the story – this guy criticizing anyone’s actions on the field the way he did…..pot shooting the kettle.

Can Nationals run the playoff table?
  1. D. Jeter (3363)