Apr 29, 2014, 6:36 AM EDT
Athletics 4, Rangers 0: A three-hit shutout for Sonny Gray, who ups his records to 4-1 and lowers his ERA to 1.76. Seventy-three of his 108 pitches went for strikes and the hits were only singles. His counterpart, Yu Darvish, turned in his shortest major league start ever. Three and a third innings, while allowing four runs and six hits while throwing 83 pitches and walking two.
Padres 6, Giants 4: Rene Rivera drove in five. When I saw the box score and it just said “R. Rivera,” I thought of Ruben, who played for the Padres for several years. And yes that was over a decade ago, but some things just stick in your mind. Like bad baseball players we all somehow thought would become good baseball players simply because they had a couple of decent tools. The 90s were terrible, man.
Rockies 8, Diamondbacks 5: Troy Tulowitzki homered, had two doubles and drove in three. Justin Morneau hit a two-run homer and has a 12-game hitting streak. The Rockies are averaging 5.48 runs per game, leading all of baseball.
Editor’s Note: Hardball Talk‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $150,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Tuesday night’s MLB games. It’s $200 to join and first prize is $25,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Angels 6, Indians 3: It was 3-3 in the eighth when Mike Trout hit an RBI single and Raul Ibanez hit a two-run triple. I’m a year younger than him and I’m pretty sure if you asked me to run 270 feet I’d die. Joe Smith got the save. His first since taking over closer duties.
Brewers 5, Cardinals 3: Khris Davis hit a run-scoring triple in the 12th. This after he struck out four times. So, yes, a Golden Sombrero, but it had a nice pretty band on it.
Cubs vs. Reds: POSTPONED: We can go for a walk where it’s quiet and dry. And talk about precious things. But the rain that flattens my hair. These are the things that kill me.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 107
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8