Apr 29, 2014, 6:36 AM EDT
Athletics 4, Rangers 0: A three-hit shutout for Sonny Gray, who ups his records to 4-1 and lowers his ERA to 1.76. Seventy-three of his 108 pitches went for strikes and the hits were only singles. His counterpart, Yu Darvish, turned in his shortest major league start ever. Three and a third innings, while allowing four runs and six hits while throwing 83 pitches and walking two.
Padres 6, Giants 4: Rene Rivera drove in five. When I saw the box score and it just said “R. Rivera,” I thought of Ruben, who played for the Padres for several years. And yes that was over a decade ago, but some things just stick in your mind. Like bad baseball players we all somehow thought would become good baseball players simply because they had a couple of decent tools. The 90s were terrible, man.
Rockies 8, Diamondbacks 5: Troy Tulowitzki homered, had two doubles and drove in three. Justin Morneau hit a two-run homer and has a 12-game hitting streak. The Rockies are averaging 5.48 runs per game, leading all of baseball.
Editor’s Note: Hardball Talk‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $150,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Tuesday night’s MLB games. It’s $200 to join and first prize is $25,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Angels 6, Indians 3: It was 3-3 in the eighth when Mike Trout hit an RBI single and Raul Ibanez hit a two-run triple. I’m a year younger than him and I’m pretty sure if you asked me to run 270 feet I’d die. Joe Smith got the save. His first since taking over closer duties.
Brewers 5, Cardinals 3: Khris Davis hit a run-scoring triple in the 12th. This after he struck out four times. So, yes, a Golden Sombrero, but it had a nice pretty band on it.
Cubs vs. Reds: POSTPONED: We can go for a walk where it’s quiet and dry. And talk about precious things. But the rain that flattens my hair. These are the things that kill me.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 90
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 64
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 50
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (92)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)