Apr 29, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Rather than accept another minor-league contract and try to pitch his way back to the majors again 37-year-old right-hander Freddy Garcia has signed with the EDA Rhinos in Taiwan, where he’ll be the highest-player in the history of the league.
Who previously held that distinction? None other than Manny Ramirez, who played in Taiwan last season and hit .352. Garcia’s deal is worth $56,000 per month for seven months, according to the Associated Press, and apparently Ramirez’s positive experience playing in Taiwan helped convince Garcia to follow suit.
Garcia looked set to be part of the Braves’ starting rotation coming out of spring training, but instead Atlanta opted to release him. Now he’ll earn quite a bit more than he would have pitching at Triple-A and, if Ramirez’s experience is any indication, Garcia will probably have a lot of fun playing in Taiwan too.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $150,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Tuesday night’s MLB games. It’s $200 to join and first prize is $25,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 15
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 43
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (76)