Apr 29, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Rather than accept another minor-league contract and try to pitch his way back to the majors again 37-year-old right-hander Freddy Garcia has signed with the EDA Rhinos in Taiwan, where he’ll be the highest-player in the history of the league.
Who previously held that distinction? None other than Manny Ramirez, who played in Taiwan last season and hit .352. Garcia’s deal is worth $56,000 per month for seven months, according to the Associated Press, and apparently Ramirez’s positive experience playing in Taiwan helped convince Garcia to follow suit.
Garcia looked set to be part of the Braves’ starting rotation coming out of spring training, but instead Atlanta opted to release him. Now he’ll earn quite a bit more than he would have pitching at Triple-A and, if Ramirez’s experience is any indication, Garcia will probably have a lot of fun playing in Taiwan too.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $150,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Tuesday night’s MLB games. It’s $200 to join and first prize is $25,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (80)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)