Apr 29, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Via Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com:
SAN FRANCISCO – The Giants scratched Matt Cain barely an hour before he was to throw the first pitch Tuesday night after the right-hander cut a finger on his pitching hand.
Yusmeiro Petit will take the mound against the Padres instead. Cain accidentally sliced his finger on Tuesday afternoon when he mishandled a knife in the clubhouse kitchen at AT&T Park. The cut is not considered serious and didn’t require stitches, so the odds are good he hops back into San Francisco’s starting rotation at some point this week.
Cain has a 4.35 ERA, 1.32 WHIP, and 25/10 K/BB ratio in 31 innings this season.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)