Apr 29, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Via Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com:
SAN FRANCISCO – The Giants scratched Matt Cain barely an hour before he was to throw the first pitch Tuesday night after the right-hander cut a finger on his pitching hand.
Yusmeiro Petit will take the mound against the Padres instead. Cain accidentally sliced his finger on Tuesday afternoon when he mishandled a knife in the clubhouse kitchen at AT&T Park. The cut is not considered serious and didn’t require stitches, so the odds are good he hops back into San Francisco’s starting rotation at some point this week.
Cain has a 4.35 ERA, 1.32 WHIP, and 25/10 K/BB ratio in 31 innings this season.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)