Apr 29, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Via Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com:
SAN FRANCISCO – The Giants scratched Matt Cain barely an hour before he was to throw the first pitch Tuesday night after the right-hander cut a finger on his pitching hand.
Yusmeiro Petit will take the mound against the Padres instead. Cain accidentally sliced his finger on Tuesday afternoon when he mishandled a knife in the clubhouse kitchen at AT&T Park. The cut is not considered serious and didn’t require stitches, so the odds are good he hops back into San Francisco’s starting rotation at some point this week.
Cain has a 4.35 ERA, 1.32 WHIP, and 25/10 K/BB ratio in 31 innings this season.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)