Apr 29, 2014, 10:15 PM EST
Via Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com:
SAN FRANCISCO – The Giants scratched Matt Cain barely an hour before he was to throw the first pitch Tuesday night after the right-hander cut a finger on his pitching hand.
Yusmeiro Petit will take the mound against the Padres instead. Cain accidentally sliced his finger on Tuesday afternoon when he mishandled a knife in the clubhouse kitchen at AT&T Park. The cut is not considered serious and didn’t require stitches, so the odds are good he hops back into San Francisco’s starting rotation at some point this week.
Cain has a 4.35 ERA, 1.32 WHIP, and 25/10 K/BB ratio in 31 innings this season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)