Apr 29, 2014, 11:51 PM EDT
Michael Pineda was expected to return from his 10-game pine tar suspension next Monday and start in the Yankees’ three-game series opener at Angel Stadium. But that definitely won’t happen now.
According to MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch, Pineda suffered a teres major muscle strain Tuesday during a simulated game and will remain sidelined for the next 3-4 weeks. It’s a Grade 1 strain — the least severe — but the teres major muscle runs near the shoulder and Pineda did not appear in the majors in 2012 or 2013 because of a major shoulder injury.
In other words, he is not going to be rushed back.
Pineda had registered a 1.83 ERA, 1.017 WHIP, and 15/3 K/BB ratio through 19 2/3 innings (four starts) this season for the Yanks. David Phelps will now make that Monday start against the Angels.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 68
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)