Apr 29, 2014, 8:39 PM EST
The Orioles have signed INF/OF Steve Pearce to a major league contract.
— Baltimore Orioles (@Orioles) April 29, 2014
Pearce was designated for assignment by the Orioles seven days ago and got claimed off waivers by the Blue Jays. But the 31-year-old rejected that claim and instead elected to test the free agent waters, where Baltimore offered the best deal and a guaranteed major league roster spot (for now at least).
Pearce is a .237/.316/.376 career hitter in 854 plate appearances at the major league level.
He will provide depth at first base while Chris Davis recovers from an oblique strain.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)