Apr 29, 2014, 8:39 PM EDT
The Orioles have signed INF/OF Steve Pearce to a major league contract.
— Baltimore Orioles (@Orioles) April 29, 2014
Pearce was designated for assignment by the Orioles seven days ago and got claimed off waivers by the Blue Jays. But the 31-year-old rejected that claim and instead elected to test the free agent waters, where Baltimore offered the best deal and a guaranteed major league roster spot (for now at least).
Pearce is a .237/.316/.376 career hitter in 854 plate appearances at the major league level.
He will provide depth at first base while Chris Davis recovers from an oblique strain.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)