Apr 29, 2014, 8:39 PM EST
The Orioles have signed INF/OF Steve Pearce to a major league contract.
— Baltimore Orioles (@Orioles) April 29, 2014
Pearce was designated for assignment by the Orioles seven days ago and got claimed off waivers by the Blue Jays. But the 31-year-old rejected that claim and instead elected to test the free agent waters, where Baltimore offered the best deal and a guaranteed major league roster spot (for now at least).
Pearce is a .237/.316/.376 career hitter in 854 plate appearances at the major league level.
He will provide depth at first base while Chris Davis recovers from an oblique strain.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 85
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 8
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 28
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 33
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (88)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)