Apr 29, 2014, 8:39 PM EDT
The Orioles have signed INF/OF Steve Pearce to a major league contract.
— Baltimore Orioles (@Orioles) April 29, 2014
Pearce was designated for assignment by the Orioles seven days ago and got claimed off waivers by the Blue Jays. But the 31-year-old rejected that claim and instead elected to test the free agent waters, where Baltimore offered the best deal and a guaranteed major league roster spot (for now at least).
Pearce is a .237/.316/.376 career hitter in 854 plate appearances at the major league level.
He will provide depth at first base while Chris Davis recovers from an oblique strain.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)