Apr 29, 2014, 8:39 PM EDT
The Orioles have signed INF/OF Steve Pearce to a major league contract.
— Baltimore Orioles (@Orioles) April 29, 2014
Pearce was designated for assignment by the Orioles seven days ago and got claimed off waivers by the Blue Jays. But the 31-year-old rejected that claim and instead elected to test the free agent waters, where Baltimore offered the best deal and a guaranteed major league roster spot (for now at least).
Pearce is a .237/.316/.376 career hitter in 854 plate appearances at the major league level.
He will provide depth at first base while Chris Davis recovers from an oblique strain.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)