Apr 29, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Yu Darvish turned in the shortest start of his career last night against Oakland, failing to make it out of the fourth inning. It was his first non-Quality Start of the season and continues a career-long pattern for Darvish of struggling against the A’s.
For his career Darvish is 30-19 with a 3.29 ERA in 66 starts for the Rangers, but here’s how that breaks down:
Against the A’s: 1-7 with a 4.73 ERA in 9 starts.
Against everyone else: 29-12 with a 3.09 ERA in 57 starts.
Compared to other teams Oakland has drawn nearly 40 percent more walks against Darvish, which helps explain a lot of those overall numbers. Last night the A’s drew only two walks off him, but made Darvish throw 83 pitches to get 10 outs.
Could just be random chance or a small sample size or whatever, but the struggles against the A’s are magnified because the two teams play each other so often and are battling for division titles each season.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 25
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 83
- The Lester trade is a win-win 111
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (111)