Apr 30, 2014, 6:18 AM EDT
Cano got a mock cheer when he struck out to end the inning, then was met with chants of “You sold out!” from the Bleacher Creatures when he took his spot at second base.
Yankee Bleacher Creatures ripping someone for selling out while they do the silly roll calls thing or whatever it is to Jacoby Ellsbury, Brian McCann and any number of other dudes the Yankees have bought over the years is very, very special. But then again, the world is made for people who aren’t cursed with self-awareness.
Athletics 9, Rangers 3: Martin Perez‘s scoreless innings/shutout streak ended pretty abruptly as Derek Norris hit a two-run double in the first and the A’s never trailed. Norris had another RBI double later. Perez allowed eight runs he had only allowed six total through his first five starts. Mama said there’d be days like this.
Mets 6, Phillies 1: The Mets have won seven of nine. An hour and a half rain delay and then temperatures in the low 40s made this one unpleasant otherwise. Certainly for Cole Hamels, who said he was “truly embarrassed” after the game for not giving his team a chance. Jon Niese helped with that of course, allowing one run on four hits in seven innings.
Tigers 4, White Sox 3: Bryan Holaday‘s RBI bunt single in the top of the ninth won it for Detroit. He went 2 for 4 overall. Jose Quintana struck out 10 in six innings, but got the no-decision. Effing Quintana. That creep can roll, man.
Editor’s Note: Hardball Talk‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $45,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Wednesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Nationals 4, Astros 3: Adam LaRoche hit the game-tying double in the eighth inning and the go-ahead single in the ninth. LaRoche his hitting .312 with four homers, 17 RBI and 16 walks so far this year. Not bad for a guy who is traditionally a slow starter.
Marlins 9, Braves 0: The Braves got shellacked, but my man-crush Jose Fernandez tossed eight shutout innings Thus:
Brewers 5, Cardinals 4: Two games against the Cards, two extra innings wins for the Brewers. Khris Davis hit an RBI triple and started the winning rally in the 12th with a leadoff double. He came home on Lyle Overbay‘s RBI single. An RBI single he hit after failing four times to get a bunt down to move Davis over. This should be taken as a lesson from the cosmos that bunting is bad. Well, unless you’re Bryan Holaday in that Tigers game, but that’s just an instance of the cosmos testing our faith.
Rockies 5, Diamondbacks 4: The Diamondbacks have lost 22 games. A couple of teams in the majors have only played 22 so far this year. Just a tire fire.
Giants 6, Padres 0: Matt Cain was scratched after cutting his right index finger on a kitchen knife in the Giants clubhouse before the game. Yusmeiro Petit took the mound instead and if you think he couldn’t cut it, well, you’re wrong, as he tossed six shutout innings. Really carved the Padres up. God, please help me.
Pirates vs. Orioles; Dodgers vs. Twins: POSTPONED: Sadly we don’t get to see the 1965, 1971 and 1979 World Series rematches thanks to rain. But then again: Rain is grace; rain is the sky condescending to the earth; without rain, there would be no life.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)