Apr 30, 2014, 9:31 PM EDT
Gavin Floyd completed his minor league rehabilitation assignment Tuesday night with Triple-A Gwinnett, and barring something unforeseen, the Braves will activate him from the disabled list sometime this weekend.
Floyd has been on his rehab assignment for close to the 30-day max. In fact, the Braves have to activate him by Sunday.
The problem is there are no obvious openings in the starting rotation — Braves starters have combined for an MLB-best 1.90 ERA, and David Hale was recently bumped for Mike Minor (shoulder) despite posting a 2.31 ERA in four turns.
A bullpen assignment could be possible for Floyd, who has made just one relief appearance since the beginning of the 2008 season. He signed a one-year, $4 million free agent contract with Atlanta this winter after missing the large majority of the 2013 campaign because of Tommy John elbow surgery.
“When he’s ready to go, we’ll put him in here some place,” Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez told the Atlanta Journal Constitution before Wednesday’s game against the Marlins. “Plug him in.”
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 42
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 46
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 50
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)