Apr 30, 2014, 9:54 AM EST
The Indians lost their fifth in a row last night and they may have lost their second baseman for a while too: Jason Kipnis suffered a right abdominal strain while swinging the bat in the fourth inning of the Indians-Angels game. From Jordan Bastian:
Kipnis — Cleveland’s offensive sparkplug — felt a jolt in his right side and back on a swing that resulted in a double-play groundout against Angels right-hander Jered Weaver in the fourth inning. The second baseman ran up the line, slowed as he approached first base and could be seen grabbing at his side in obvious discomfort.
“It knocked the wind out of me,” Kipnis said. “I couldn’t really breathe while I was going down to first base. It wasn’t letting go.”
No decisions have been made about whether Kipnis will be placed on the disabled list. Terry Francona said after the game that they’ll wait until Kipnis shows up at the park later today to see if it was more of a cramping thing or what.
Either way: things couldn’t be going much worse for Cleveland.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)