Apr 30, 2014, 7:05 PM EST
Brewers shortstop Jean Segura needed plastic surgery for a deep gash near his right eye after teammate Ryan Braun accidentally struck him in the face with a bat Saturday while taking warmup swings on the top step of the home dugout at Miller Park. But he did not require a disabled list stint and should be back in the starting lineup for Milwaukee for Thursday’s series opener against the Reds.
Segura was used as a pinch-hitter in Tuesday night’s win over the Cardinals at Busch Stadium in St. Louis and he handled shortstop for a half-inning before doubling in the top of the ninth in Wednesday’s loss.
Segura is batting .244/.277/.344 with one home run and five steals in 24 games this season for the 20-8 fist-place Brewers. The 24-year-old hit .294/.329/.423 with 12 homers and 44 steals in 146 games last season.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 12
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 32
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 103
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 45
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (103)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)