Apr 30, 2014, 7:05 PM EST
Brewers shortstop Jean Segura needed plastic surgery for a deep gash near his right eye after teammate Ryan Braun accidentally struck him in the face with a bat Saturday while taking warmup swings on the top step of the home dugout at Miller Park. But he did not require a disabled list stint and should be back in the starting lineup for Milwaukee for Thursday’s series opener against the Reds.
Segura was used as a pinch-hitter in Tuesday night’s win over the Cardinals at Busch Stadium in St. Louis and he handled shortstop for a half-inning before doubling in the top of the ninth in Wednesday’s loss.
Segura is batting .244/.277/.344 with one home run and five steals in 24 games this season for the 20-8 fist-place Brewers. The 24-year-old hit .294/.329/.423 with 12 homers and 44 steals in 146 games last season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)