Apr 30, 2014, 7:05 PM EST
Brewers shortstop Jean Segura needed plastic surgery for a deep gash near his right eye after teammate Ryan Braun accidentally struck him in the face with a bat Saturday while taking warmup swings on the top step of the home dugout at Miller Park. But he did not require a disabled list stint and should be back in the starting lineup for Milwaukee for Thursday’s series opener against the Reds.
Segura was used as a pinch-hitter in Tuesday night’s win over the Cardinals at Busch Stadium in St. Louis and he handled shortstop for a half-inning before doubling in the top of the ninth in Wednesday’s loss.
Segura is batting .244/.277/.344 with one home run and five steals in 24 games this season for the 20-8 fist-place Brewers. The 24-year-old hit .294/.329/.423 with 12 homers and 44 steals in 146 games last season.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 59
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)