Apr 30, 2014, 7:05 PM EDT
Brewers shortstop Jean Segura needed plastic surgery for a deep gash near his right eye after teammate Ryan Braun accidentally struck him in the face with a bat Saturday while taking warmup swings on the top step of the home dugout at Miller Park. But he did not require a disabled list stint and should be back in the starting lineup for Milwaukee for Thursday’s series opener against the Reds.
Segura was used as a pinch-hitter in Tuesday night’s win over the Cardinals at Busch Stadium in St. Louis and he handled shortstop for a half-inning before doubling in the top of the ninth in Wednesday’s loss.
Segura is batting .244/.277/.344 with one home run and five steals in 24 games this season for the 20-8 fist-place Brewers. The 24-year-old hit .294/.329/.423 with 12 homers and 44 steals in 146 games last season.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 8
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 11
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 10
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)