Apr 30, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
On the 60-day disabled list with a torn shoulder muscle, Rangers infielder Jurickson Profar has been cleared to swing a bat and is expected to resume a throwing program next week.
However, according to Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas there’s still no official timetable for Profar’s return. Because he’s on the 60-day disabled list he’s not even eligible to rejoin the Rangers’ active roster until late May anyway.
Rangers assistant general manager Thad Levine indicated that the team will play it very safe with Profar’s timetable after perhaps attempting to rush him back too soon during spring training. In his absence they’ve used a combo of journeymen Donnie Murphy and Josh Wilson at second base with predictably poor results, as they’ve hit .220 with one homer and a .588 OPS in 27 games.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $45,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Wednesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 97
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 150
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (150)