Apr 30, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
On the 60-day disabled list with a torn shoulder muscle, Rangers infielder Jurickson Profar has been cleared to swing a bat and is expected to resume a throwing program next week.
However, according to Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas there’s still no official timetable for Profar’s return. Because he’s on the 60-day disabled list he’s not even eligible to rejoin the Rangers’ active roster until late May anyway.
Rangers assistant general manager Thad Levine indicated that the team will play it very safe with Profar’s timetable after perhaps attempting to rush him back too soon during spring training. In his absence they’ve used a combo of journeymen Donnie Murphy and Josh Wilson at second base with predictably poor results, as they’ve hit .220 with one homer and a .588 OPS in 27 games.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $45,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Wednesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)