Apr 30, 2014, 3:10 PM EDT
St. Louis called up prospect Randal Grichuk and is now giving him some of the playing time previously reserved for Bourjos, with manager Mike Matheny explaining it to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch rather bluntly:
The assignment for us is to be honest, as open with him as possible. “We’ve got to get you going, but we’ve got to get our club going, too. If we have an opportunity to bring some player in who can get us a jolt we’re going to make a shot at it. Stay ready.”
Bourjos is hitting .160 with a .510 OPS in 20 games, which is bad enough that even his always excellent defense can’t make up for it.
Grichuk was acquired from the Angels, along with Bourjos, in the David Freese trade, so his now pushing Bourjos aside–in the short term, at least–is a weird little twist. His strike zone control and plate discipline leave a lot to be deserved, but Grichuk has 20-homer power and right now the Cardinals are desperate for some offense.
Oh, and there’s also this: Freese is hitting .188 for the Angels.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)