Apr 30, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
Mulder: He psyched the guy out, he put the whammy on him!
Scully [skeptical]: Please explain to me the scientific nature of “the Whammy.”
Sorry. Just remembering my 1990s crushes. I was inspired to by this, from Corey Seidman of CSNPhilly.com:
Fifteen to twenty years from now, when Cole Hamels‘ playing days are over, several sticking points will come up in most conversations about his career.
The 2008 World Series.
The $144 million contract.
The lack of run support.
And those damn Mets.
The Mets have had Hamels’ number for most of his career. Yet the Mets have stunk for most of Hamels’ career. So why do they always seem to hit him so well? Seidman investigates why this is. His answer makes a lot of sense. And no, it has nothing to do with hexes, curses or the whammy.
But the truth is out there.
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 28
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 76
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 128
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 22
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (128)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)