Wanna buy Yogi Berra’s house?

Apr 30, 2014, 8:56 AM EST

New York Yankees Hall of Fame catcher Berra watches players during a workout at the team's spring training camp

This is cool, but it’s also sad.

It’s cool because it’s Yogi Berra’s house and, if you want to, you can buy it for $888,000 which, yes, is a custom price designed to match Yogi’s retired number 8.  It’s sad, however, because Berra decided to sell the house last year, presumably because it was getting to be too big or too much for he and his wife Carmen as they approached 90. Carmen died recently. Yogi doesn’t live there anymore. Leaving the place you call home happens to a lot of our grandparents and parents and eventually it will happen to us too.

But there are still 40 years worth of memories in that house and well over 50 years worth of memories for the Berras in Montclair, New Jersey. Here’s hoping whoever buys this house is worthy of the Berras and their wonderful legacy.

1. chew1985 - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:16 AM

If you don’t visit Yogi’s museum at Montclair State University you are not a baseball fan in any sense of the word.

Many of his mementos have been there for nearly 20 years and he used to be there every day when he was able.

It’s the “house that Yogi built” so that all of us can enjoy his life and legacy.

• largebill - Apr 30, 2014 at 10:00 AM

So, visiting one specific museum is the new dividing line between real fans and “not a baseball fan in any sense of the word.”

I’m sure it’s a nice museum and hopefully I get a chance to visit it, but doubt spending a few hours there will transform me from a casual fan to a serious one. Leaving in the 6th inning of a game might be reason to question someone’s fan status, but failure to visit a museum . . . .?

• renaado - Apr 30, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Chew1985, I’m a 100 percent baseball fan and will always be the only sport that will always stick with me. But me living in a different country, and visitin this museum as you said is highly impossible for me. Not unless someone gives me a two way flight though.

2. tcostant - Apr 30, 2014 at 10:05 AM

My favorite Yogi quote (isn’t the one everyone always says) is “No one goes to that restaurant anymore, it’s to crowded”.

3. beachnbaseball - Apr 30, 2014 at 10:18 AM

He once ordered a pizza and when it was ready the pizza shop owner asked him, “You want this cut into eight pieces or four”? Yogi thought for a moment and said, “You better make it four. I don’t think I can eat eight”.

“If you don’t go to your friends funerals they won’t go to yours”.

4. thatssotaguchi - Apr 30, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Think it might be best to just erase the comments on this post and start over.

• renaado - Apr 30, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Man, I really missed So Taguchi. Good thing he’s lovin his job as a Baseball commentator in Japan and is doin well.

5. stackers1 - Apr 30, 2014 at 12:54 PM

To me, this is more sad than cool.

6. thatmanstumototours - Apr 30, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Sad for Yogi and his family. But time marches on. Beautiful house inside,unlike the usual soulless mega structures seen in this column…..

7. nothanksimdriving123 - Apr 30, 2014 at 2:58 PM

I’d only be interested in this house if it is located at a fork in the road.

• largebill - Apr 30, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Read his previous house was at a fork in the road.

8. silverdeer - Apr 30, 2014 at 7:43 PM

The nice thing is that you can pay cash for the house “because it is just as good as money”.

9. RoyHobbs39 - May 1, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Taxes on the property are $26K? Is that per year??

• jerze2387 - May 1, 2014 at 10:25 AM

no. Only every 12 months

10. stlouis1baseball - May 15, 2014 at 8:52 AM

It appears to be a beautiful home. But I am shocked at the property taxes.
    $29,000+ for less than half an acre. Wow.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3924)
  2. J. Kang (3375)
  3. J. Upton (2893)
  4. C. McGehee (2841)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2816)
  1. M. Kemp (2762)