Apparently that Mets open letter is an affront to everything

May 1, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT

mets logo

We linked that Mets “fan letter” or “loyalty oath” or whatever that thing was yesterday. And, as we said yesterday, it may be a bit weird as far as these things go — teams don’t often pen open letters to their fans like that — but it’s really no different than any other sort of fan outreach, marketing or what have you. The Red Sox have convinced their fans they’re part of a Great Nation. The Yankees have crafted this grand fiction of a “Yankees Universe” in which class and history and nobility exist in the Bronx unlike they exist anyplace else. If you examine the stuff that led to those now-accepted tropes, they’d look kinda silly too.

But the Mets’ effort has sparked a pretty big backlash. The biggest I’ve seen comes from Mike Vaccaro in the Post who calls it “clueless” and “insulting” and calls the Mets “dense” for even bothering. He says it’s an “affront” to real fans. It’s quite a screed.

It just feels like a Mets pile-on to me. For years the Mets have done dumb things and that has led to a lot of “Dumb Mets!” or, in the parlance of Twitter “LOLMETS!” commentary. But it’s gotten to the point where people autopilot to that without, I think, actually trying to figure out if the thing they’re mocking is really all that mockworthy.

I don’t think this letter is. I don’t think it’s some masterstroke in public relations, but it’s no worse than what a lot of other teams do. Why it is creating such a furor among some I have no idea.

1. johnnysoda - May 1, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Why does Craig always complain about other people complaining?

• tfbuckfutter - May 1, 2014 at 12:09 PM

*BRAAAAAAAHHHHMMMM!*

• renaado - May 1, 2014 at 12:19 PM

/BREAK!

• ditto65 - May 1, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Why are you complaining about Craig complaining, if that is what he is doing here?

• Old Gator - May 1, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Why are you questioning his complaining about Craig’s complaining?

• asimonetti88 - May 1, 2014 at 6:21 PM

I think he is complaining about Craig complaining about other people complaining.

Are you complaining about that?

• ditto65 - May 1, 2014 at 6:55 PM

How dare you question my questioning about johnnyrottenteeth’s complaint of Craig’s complaining about other people complaining?

2. pjmitch - May 1, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Being a lifelong Met fan (ouch that hurts) who lives now in California since ’66, I checked out the link yesterday and filled out the form.

But I agree, it seemed weird to me the way the whole thing was structured. Possibly it was in response to the fan map that was posted last week as it showed NY was dominated with Yankee fans. But ultimately I think it was just an attempt to get you to opt in to MLB and Met merchandise.

And I agree, the Mets are not really good at marketing (and playing baseball). The whole Citifield/Brooklyn thing is a travesty.

3. Simon M. - May 1, 2014 at 12:12 PM

The Post article is probably just their form of petty revenge for the Bartolommeo Colon / Mike Puma incident.

• Simon M. - May 1, 2014 at 12:13 PM

*bartolo. Damn iPhone autocorrect…

4. doctorofsmuganomics - May 1, 2014 at 12:31 PM

lolmets

-this is a test, for whatever reason posts aren’t showing up don’t kill me mets

• Old Gator - May 1, 2014 at 1:12 PM

If this had been a real alert, you would have been instructed to go to http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=nyy

• doctorofsmuganomics - May 1, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Neat.

And now things are showing up again. Not sure what was going on before, but whatever

5. sdelmonte - May 1, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Yeah, it’s a pile on. Or maybe the press can’t wait till the Mets do something legitimately stupid and need their fix of fauxtrage now?

6. Kevin S. - May 1, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Eh, I’d even argue it’s a little more tone deaf than most of these silly marketing campaigns – I mean, what have the Mets done to justify any loyalty declarations? – but that’s about it. But hey, what do you really expect out of the Post?

7. 950003cups - May 1, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Craig Carton had the best response. He even pointed out that there was a study of people living within a mile of CitiField and the people actually hate the Mets. They’re Yankee fans!! LOLOL

8. Francisco (FC) - May 1, 2014 at 12:51 PM

You forgot to hyperlink to Nattitude here.

• natstowngreg - May 1, 2014 at 3:38 PM

That’s Natitude, thank you very much.

I won’t quibble about Natitude as PR. The difference with past Nats lame slogans, and other teams’ lame slogans, is that Natitude clicked with fans. Might have something to do with the team being better. So the PR types will continue to push it (this season: “Nothing but Natitude” until it stops working, and they need a new lame slogan. Bottom line is, every team is trying to generate artificial enthusiasm, whether the team is any good or not. I prefer my enthusiasm straight, coming from good play on the field.

I will quibble about a comparison to the Mets’ PR idea. The letter almost strikes me as attempted blackmail. Pledge your allegiance to us on a Web site, or you’re not a real New Yorker, you desecrate the memories of back in the day, when the Mets were good. Never mind that many “real” New Yorkers (whatever that means) are Yankees fans. Never mind that the Mets want to guilt-trip you into cheering for a team that isn’t very good.

• recoveringcubsfan - May 1, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Thank you for spelling it … not correctly, exactly, becuase it’s not a real word, but…accurately. Fans do seem to like that dumb slogan, so it stays until, as you said, Greg, it gets too lame even for the fans. Who knows – the lamest fan-pandering thing in baseball has endured for at least 25 years. I speak of course of the brain-shattering Tomahawk Chop and the accompanying whistle-and-grunt that blares every 60 seconds on the Turner Field PA.

But anyway, I digress. I think that here, on a site where Craig frequently admonishes people to lighten up about even things that are truly jerky – like Carlos Gomez’s antics – stupid things, slogans like “Natitude” or the Mets’ lame loyalty letter, are interesting only for the way they somehow still appeal to the big, fat hearts of big, fat slobs like us who root for teams not with our heads, but from a sloppier, more ragged place. (These things actually work, anyway – I don’t know why we act like they don’t; people say “Natitude” to each other, unironically; Mets fans did sign that letter, some of ‘em; and Braves fans seem to have a good ol’ time doing the Chop. What’s wrong with it?)

9. jwbiii - May 1, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Of course this was a ploy to tweak Yankees’ nose and by extension, the noses of those who consider themselves both “real New Yorkers” and Yankees fans. Maybe some people who consider themselves unreal New Yorkers (I think those are people who live in the New York MSA and have at least one i in their names) and Yankees fans, as well. The Mets succeeded. They got some press coverage for their effort.

10. andreweac - May 1, 2014 at 1:01 PM

There needs to be more outrage against this campaign. America demands a FBI probe to investigate this affront to the dignity of good God fearing Americans.

11. thebadguyswon - May 1, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Enough Benghazi. I want “True New Yorkers” investigated NOW!

• Old Gator - May 1, 2014 at 1:13 PM

You’ve just now had enough Benghazi?

12. RickyB - May 1, 2014 at 1:26 PM

My guess is that since you can go to just about any county on that loyalty map and find Yankee fans rank in the top 3, the Mets think that true New Yorkers would never leave New York, so those that stay must be Mets fans. Only Yankee fans don’t love New York, which is why their fan base is so widespread — they leave New York! How can they be true New Yorkers? Only true New Yorkers know that there is no place else to live in this country. There is New York, and everything else is a wasteland.

Signed,
    Yankee fan who has never spent more than three consecutive days in New York City

13. mazblast - May 1, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Native New Yorker. Can’t stand either team–the Mets for being so small-time and thinking they’re big-time, the Yankees for constantly reminding us about championships won long before I was born and for their generally insufferable attitude, the “we won, that shows we’re superior” COMBINED WITH, “We didn’t win, so it doesn’t matter”.

14. gloccamorra - May 1, 2014 at 2:39 PM

To be a fan I gotta fill out a form? How about if I just make a paper hat out of the form?

Hey! Want to make some money? Make Mets hats with those forms printed on them.

15. umrguy42 - May 1, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Why it is creating such a furor among some I have no idea.

Because New York?

16. musketmaniac - May 1, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Fock New Yurk

• Francisco (FC) - May 1, 2014 at 5:37 PM

No, no, no. If you’ve been following today’s legal proceedings that should be: Yuck New Fork! (how does it work when the city has two words?)

17. boonert - May 1, 2014 at 2:54 PM

It’s a pile on, plain and simple. It doesn’t matter what they do. It’s just fashionable to rip them. Never mind that they have the 4th best record in the National League. Never mind that their pitching statistically has been among the best in baseball. Never mind that they are 1st in the wild card standings.

They are 3 and 3 against the defending National League East champion Braves, 3 and 1 against the defending National League champion Cardinals, 2 and 1 against the Reds who made the playoffs last year. Since June of last year they have played better than .500. In other words things are finally starting to look better.

Their minor league teams combined have one of the best records in baseball. And, while the pitching prospects get all the ink, there are some hitting prospects that are starting to catch the attention of the people who rank prospects.

Sandy Alderson was brought in to totally rebuild this organization from top to bottom. No everything he’s done has worked but far more things have than have not. He’s had to deal with ridiculous contracts signed by the previous regime- not sure how that happened since according to everyone on here the owner is too cheap to ever spend any money- and now after a few years they are finally getting the financial house in order.

But you won’t read any of that stuff because no one wants to write anything positive about the Mets. It’s so much easier to pile on like everyone else.

So- if everyone here wants to hate on them that’s your choice. I for one feel pretty good about the future.

• ditto65 - May 1, 2014 at 7:22 PM

” I for one feel pretty good about the future.”

Said no other Mets fan. Ever.

18. dcarroll73 - May 2, 2014 at 10:15 AM

This brouhaha almost makes me wish that mets4ever haven’t been banned. This probably would have made him explode, and his comments would have been amusing (or is that amazing?)

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline