May 1, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
UPDATE: Mark Sheldon of MLB.com passes along word that Hamilton sprained the third and fourth knuckles of his left (glove) hand on the catch. No word on how much time he’ll need to miss.
7:41 p.m. ET: Billy Hamilton left tonight’s game against the Brewers in the first inning after he suffered an apparent injury when he robbed Carlos Gomez of extra bases on a diving catch. You can watch the excellent play here.
Hamilton managed to finish the top half of the inning, but was replaced by pinch-hitter Chris Heisey when the Reds came up to bat in the bottom of the first. No word yet on the exact nature of the injury, but we’ll pass along an update when it’s available.
Hamilton started the season very slow, going hitless over his last five games, but he entered play tonight hitting .280/.310/.378 with five extra-base hits, six RBI, and 11 stolen bases over his last 21 games. Here’s hoping it’s something minor. Hamilton is a lot of fun to watch. And as we saw tonight, it’s not just because of what he does on the bases.
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 0
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 9
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 139
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (139)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)