May 1, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
Bruce Chen was scratched from his start earlier this week due to a swollen disk in his back and now Royals manager Ned Yost tells Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star that he expects the veteran left-hander to be placed on the disabled list.
Chen said earlier this week that the injury was giving him “constant pain” and received an epidural injection to ease the swelling. He had a bullpen session this afternoon, but apparently isn’t feeling much improvement.
With Chen sidelined, Danny Duffy is expected to start in his place Saturday against the Tigers. Duffy has been pitching out of the bullpen since coming up from the minors last month, so he’ll likely only throw 65-70 pitches his first time out.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 6
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 42
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)