May 1, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Matt Cain was scratched from his scheduled Tuesday start after cutting his right index finger while making a sandwich in the Giants clubhouse hours before the first pitch, but for now at least the team is planning on him rejoining the rotation Monday.
Yusmeiro Petit filled in at the last minute Tuesday and will again be on call next week in case Cain can’t pitch. Petit tossed six shutout innings in his place against the Padres and has a 3.31 ERA in 73 total innings for the Giants dating back to 2012. In the meantime Cain is avoiding doing any throwing for fear that the wound will open up again.
A few seasons ago Giants reliever Jeremy Affeldt sliced open his finger while trying to separate frozen hamburger patties, so manager Bruce Bochy and company may want to think about just banning anything involving meat and bread at this point.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $45,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Thursday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)