May 1, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Matt Cain was scratched from his scheduled Tuesday start after cutting his right index finger while making a sandwich in the Giants clubhouse hours before the first pitch, but for now at least the team is planning on him rejoining the rotation Monday.
Yusmeiro Petit filled in at the last minute Tuesday and will again be on call next week in case Cain can’t pitch. Petit tossed six shutout innings in his place against the Padres and has a 3.31 ERA in 73 total innings for the Giants dating back to 2012. In the meantime Cain is avoiding doing any throwing for fear that the wound will open up again.
A few seasons ago Giants reliever Jeremy Affeldt sliced open his finger while trying to separate frozen hamburger patties, so manager Bruce Bochy and company may want to think about just banning anything involving meat and bread at this point.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $45,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Thursday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)