May 1, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Matt Cain was scratched from his scheduled Tuesday start after cutting his right index finger while making a sandwich in the Giants clubhouse hours before the first pitch, but for now at least the team is planning on him rejoining the rotation Monday.
Yusmeiro Petit filled in at the last minute Tuesday and will again be on call next week in case Cain can’t pitch. Petit tossed six shutout innings in his place against the Padres and has a 3.31 ERA in 73 total innings for the Giants dating back to 2012. In the meantime Cain is avoiding doing any throwing for fear that the wound will open up again.
A few seasons ago Giants reliever Jeremy Affeldt sliced open his finger while trying to separate frozen hamburger patties, so manager Bruce Bochy and company may want to think about just banning anything involving meat and bread at this point.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $45,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Thursday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 1
- The beauty of belief 23
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 35
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 71
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)