May 1, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
I have a love/hate thing with Miguel Montero. On the one hand he’s got a habit of calling out other players all the time for their “immaturity” or simply calling them names. Included in this are former teammates, one of whom had no idea Montero (or whichever former Dback said it, though Montero is a top suspect) thought poorly of them when they played for the team, which suggests that Montero is less than the straight-shooting, plain talking dude he makes himself out to be.
On the other hand, you gotta love a guy who says stuff like the the Diamondbacks are “going to shock the world” after hitting a walkoff homer. Yes, the Dbacks are 9-22, but hey, viva confidence. Plus, as he said it, he was wearing a Double Bubble crown:
— Marc Normandin (@Marc_Normandin) May 1, 2014
And hey, maybe Montero is mellowing as time goes on. The guy he called out as “immature” last year was Yasiel Puig, and one of the big data points of his alleged immaturity was that he slid into home plate following a homer last season. And whaddaya know, Montero himself slid into home after his walkoff job last night.
So, Miguel: please keep doing and saying crazy crap and keep pushing the bounds of stuff propriety on the baseball diamond. It’s such a better look on you than that petty and snippy crap you’re known for.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 40
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 29
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 78
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week (80)