May 1, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
I have a love/hate thing with Miguel Montero. On the one hand he’s got a habit of calling out other players all the time for their “immaturity” or simply calling them names. Included in this are former teammates, one of whom had no idea Montero (or whichever former Dback said it, though Montero is a top suspect) thought poorly of them when they played for the team, which suggests that Montero is less than the straight-shooting, plain talking dude he makes himself out to be.
On the other hand, you gotta love a guy who says stuff like the the Diamondbacks are “going to shock the world” after hitting a walkoff homer. Yes, the Dbacks are 9-22, but hey, viva confidence. Plus, as he said it, he was wearing a Double Bubble crown:
— Marc Normandin (@Marc_Normandin) May 1, 2014
And hey, maybe Montero is mellowing as time goes on. The guy he called out as “immature” last year was Yasiel Puig, and one of the big data points of his alleged immaturity was that he slid into home plate following a homer last season. And whaddaya know, Montero himself slid into home after his walkoff job last night.
So, Miguel: please keep doing and saying crazy crap and keep pushing the bounds of stuff propriety on the baseball diamond. It’s such a better look on you than that petty and snippy crap you’re known for.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 39
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 70
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 33
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (159)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)