May 1, 2014, 8:56 AM EST
I have a love/hate thing with Miguel Montero. On the one hand he’s got a habit of calling out other players all the time for their “immaturity” or simply calling them names. Included in this are former teammates, one of whom had no idea Montero (or whichever former Dback said it, though Montero is a top suspect) thought poorly of them when they played for the team, which suggests that Montero is less than the straight-shooting, plain talking dude he makes himself out to be.
On the other hand, you gotta love a guy who says stuff like the the Diamondbacks are “going to shock the world” after hitting a walkoff homer. Yes, the Dbacks are 9-22, but hey, viva confidence. Plus, as he said it, he was wearing a Double Bubble crown:
— Marc Normandin (@Marc_Normandin) May 1, 2014
And hey, maybe Montero is mellowing as time goes on. The guy he called out as “immature” last year was Yasiel Puig, and one of the big data points of his alleged immaturity was that he slid into home plate following a homer last season. And whaddaya know, Montero himself slid into home after his walkoff job last night.
So, Miguel: please keep doing and saying crazy crap and keep pushing the bounds of stuff propriety on the baseball diamond. It’s such a better look on you than that petty and snippy crap you’re known for.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 74
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (76)