May 1, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
I have a love/hate thing with Miguel Montero. On the one hand he’s got a habit of calling out other players all the time for their “immaturity” or simply calling them names. Included in this are former teammates, one of whom had no idea Montero (or whichever former Dback said it, though Montero is a top suspect) thought poorly of them when they played for the team, which suggests that Montero is less than the straight-shooting, plain talking dude he makes himself out to be.
On the other hand, you gotta love a guy who says stuff like the the Diamondbacks are “going to shock the world” after hitting a walkoff homer. Yes, the Dbacks are 9-22, but hey, viva confidence. Plus, as he said it, he was wearing a Double Bubble crown:
— Marc Normandin (@Marc_Normandin) May 1, 2014
And hey, maybe Montero is mellowing as time goes on. The guy he called out as “immature” last year was Yasiel Puig, and one of the big data points of his alleged immaturity was that he slid into home plate following a homer last season. And whaddaya know, Montero himself slid into home after his walkoff job last night.
So, Miguel: please keep doing and saying crazy crap and keep pushing the bounds of stuff propriety on the baseball diamond. It’s such a better look on you than that petty and snippy crap you’re known for.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 3
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 30
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 14
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 30
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)