May 1, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
I have a love/hate thing with Miguel Montero. On the one hand he’s got a habit of calling out other players all the time for their “immaturity” or simply calling them names. Included in this are former teammates, one of whom had no idea Montero (or whichever former Dback said it, though Montero is a top suspect) thought poorly of them when they played for the team, which suggests that Montero is less than the straight-shooting, plain talking dude he makes himself out to be.
On the other hand, you gotta love a guy who says stuff like the the Diamondbacks are “going to shock the world” after hitting a walkoff homer. Yes, the Dbacks are 9-22, but hey, viva confidence. Plus, as he said it, he was wearing a Double Bubble crown:
— Marc Normandin (@Marc_Normandin) May 1, 2014
And hey, maybe Montero is mellowing as time goes on. The guy he called out as “immature” last year was Yasiel Puig, and one of the big data points of his alleged immaturity was that he slid into home plate following a homer last season. And whaddaya know, Montero himself slid into home after his walkoff job last night.
So, Miguel: please keep doing and saying crazy crap and keep pushing the bounds of stuff propriety on the baseball diamond. It’s such a better look on you than that petty and snippy crap you’re known for.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 31
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 22
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (83)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)