May 1, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
Reds left-hander Tony Cingrani struggled last night against the Cubs, lasting just four innings, and now he’s headed to the disabled list with shoulder tendinitis.
Cingrani picked up right where he left off after an excellent rookie season, posting a 3.34 ERA and 32 strikeouts in 32 innings, but he’s struggled with control and his fastball velocity has been down slightly. And unfortunately he’s also hurt again, like last season, when he missed time with a back injury.
For now the Reds have called up reliever Curtis Partch from Triple-A to replace Cingrani on the roster, but they may eventually add a starter to take his spot in the rotation and veteran left-hander Jeff Francis seems like a good bet. Off days in the upcoming schedule would allow them to go with a four-man rotation for a while, though.
Here’s hoping Cingrani’s shoulder problems prove minor, because he’s one of the best young pitchers in baseball and we’ve certainly seen enough of those guys go down with major injuries already this year.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)