May 1, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
The Red Sox and Rays game was rained out last night. One would think that rescheduling such a thing would be a cinch because these are division rivals, it’s early in the season and they will play each other a lot over the next several months. Yet, there is still some controversy and rancor.
The Rays didn’t want a day-night doubleheader today. They are slumping badly, they have multiple pitchers on the DL and the weather doesn’t look all that great for today either. They preferred a makeup game on one of the mutual off-days they and the Sox have before later series between the teams in Boston, but the Sox don’t want that because each time that occurs it deprives them of their only off-days in a long stretch or come after a long road trip.
One other factor that a lot of people were talking about yesterday? Last night was supposed to be Dustin Pedroia bobblehead day and, if the game is not made up today, the Sox are going to have to find storage for several thousand boxes of bobbleheads. That, however, the team is saying played no factor:
“I can assure you the bobbleheads had nothing to do with our decision to play two tomorrow,” [Sox COO Sam] Kennedy wrote in an e-mail Wednesday night. “We have a responsibility to play 81 home games each season, and two games tomorrow gives us the best chance. Of course, you never know what tomorrow will bring weather-wise, but that’s baseball in New England.”
So, it’s a day-nighter today. The Rays aren’t happy about it — there was a lot of back and forth with the league about it last night — but that’s what’s going down. And everyone who wanted to get a bobblehead last night can get one today.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)