May 1, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
The Red Sox and Rays game was rained out last night. One would think that rescheduling such a thing would be a cinch because these are division rivals, it’s early in the season and they will play each other a lot over the next several months. Yet, there is still some controversy and rancor.
The Rays didn’t want a day-night doubleheader today. They are slumping badly, they have multiple pitchers on the DL and the weather doesn’t look all that great for today either. They preferred a makeup game on one of the mutual off-days they and the Sox have before later series between the teams in Boston, but the Sox don’t want that because each time that occurs it deprives them of their only off-days in a long stretch or come after a long road trip.
One other factor that a lot of people were talking about yesterday? Last night was supposed to be Dustin Pedroia bobblehead day and, if the game is not made up today, the Sox are going to have to find storage for several thousand boxes of bobbleheads. That, however, the team is saying played no factor:
“I can assure you the bobbleheads had nothing to do with our decision to play two tomorrow,” [Sox COO Sam] Kennedy wrote in an e-mail Wednesday night. “We have a responsibility to play 81 home games each season, and two games tomorrow gives us the best chance. Of course, you never know what tomorrow will bring weather-wise, but that’s baseball in New England.”
So, it’s a day-nighter today. The Rays aren’t happy about it — there was a lot of back and forth with the league about it last night — but that’s what’s going down. And everyone who wanted to get a bobblehead last night can get one today.
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 12
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 12
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 18
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)