May 1, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
The Red Sox and Rays game was rained out last night. One would think that rescheduling such a thing would be a cinch because these are division rivals, it’s early in the season and they will play each other a lot over the next several months. Yet, there is still some controversy and rancor.
The Rays didn’t want a day-night doubleheader today. They are slumping badly, they have multiple pitchers on the DL and the weather doesn’t look all that great for today either. They preferred a makeup game on one of the mutual off-days they and the Sox have before later series between the teams in Boston, but the Sox don’t want that because each time that occurs it deprives them of their only off-days in a long stretch or come after a long road trip.
One other factor that a lot of people were talking about yesterday? Last night was supposed to be Dustin Pedroia bobblehead day and, if the game is not made up today, the Sox are going to have to find storage for several thousand boxes of bobbleheads. That, however, the team is saying played no factor:
“I can assure you the bobbleheads had nothing to do with our decision to play two tomorrow,” [Sox COO Sam] Kennedy wrote in an e-mail Wednesday night. “We have a responsibility to play 81 home games each season, and two games tomorrow gives us the best chance. Of course, you never know what tomorrow will bring weather-wise, but that’s baseball in New England.”
So, it’s a day-nighter today. The Rays aren’t happy about it — there was a lot of back and forth with the league about it last night — but that’s what’s going down. And everyone who wanted to get a bobblehead last night can get one today.
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 2
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 13
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 24
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)