May 1, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
Looking for production in their outfield with both Josh Hamilton and Kole Calhoun sidelined, Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register reports that the Angels are set to recall Grant Green from the minors tomorrow.
Green has exclusively played second base during his previous stints in the majors, but Fletcher notes that he started the past six games in left field. The outfield isn’t completely foreign to him, as the Athletics experimented with him in center field and left field in 2011 and 2012.
The Angels haven’t gotten much out of J.B. Shuck in left field, so it’s worth a shot. Green, 26, was hitting .365/.412/.529 with 11 extra-base hits (including two home runs), 28 RBI, and three stolen bases over 25 games with Triple-A Salt Lake. Considering how David Freese has struggled, it’s possible that he could get at-bats at third base once Hamilton is ready to return.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)