May 1, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
Looking for production in their outfield with both Josh Hamilton and Kole Calhoun sidelined, Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register reports that the Angels are set to recall Grant Green from the minors tomorrow.
Green has exclusively played second base during his previous stints in the majors, but Fletcher notes that he started the past six games in left field. The outfield isn’t completely foreign to him, as the Athletics experimented with him in center field and left field in 2011 and 2012.
The Angels haven’t gotten much out of J.B. Shuck in left field, so it’s worth a shot. Green, 26, was hitting .365/.412/.529 with 11 extra-base hits (including two home runs), 28 RBI, and three stolen bases over 25 games with Triple-A Salt Lake. Considering how David Freese has struggled, it’s possible that he could get at-bats at third base once Hamilton is ready to return.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 5
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 4
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 3
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)