May 1, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
Looking for production in their outfield with both Josh Hamilton and Kole Calhoun sidelined, Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register reports that the Angels are set to recall Grant Green from the minors tomorrow.
Green has exclusively played second base during his previous stints in the majors, but Fletcher notes that he started the past six games in left field. The outfield isn’t completely foreign to him, as the Athletics experimented with him in center field and left field in 2011 and 2012.
The Angels haven’t gotten much out of J.B. Shuck in left field, so it’s worth a shot. Green, 26, was hitting .365/.412/.529 with 11 extra-base hits (including two home runs), 28 RBI, and three stolen bases over 25 games with Triple-A Salt Lake. Considering how David Freese has struggled, it’s possible that he could get at-bats at third base once Hamilton is ready to return.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 8
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 55
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)