May 1, 2014, 10:12 PM EST
Looking for production in their outfield with both Josh Hamilton and Kole Calhoun sidelined, Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register reports that the Angels are set to recall Grant Green from the minors tomorrow.
Green has exclusively played second base during his previous stints in the majors, but Fletcher notes that he started the past six games in left field. The outfield isn’t completely foreign to him, as the Athletics experimented with him in center field and left field in 2011 and 2012.
The Angels haven’t gotten much out of J.B. Shuck in left field, so it’s worth a shot. Green, 26, was hitting .365/.412/.529 with 11 extra-base hits (including two home runs), 28 RBI, and three stolen bases over 25 games with Triple-A Salt Lake. Considering how David Freese has struggled, it’s possible that he could get at-bats at third base once Hamilton is ready to return.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 17
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 32
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 110
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 45
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (110)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)