May 1, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
Looking for production in their outfield with both Josh Hamilton and Kole Calhoun sidelined, Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register reports that the Angels are set to recall Grant Green from the minors tomorrow.
Green has exclusively played second base during his previous stints in the majors, but Fletcher notes that he started the past six games in left field. The outfield isn’t completely foreign to him, as the Athletics experimented with him in center field and left field in 2011 and 2012.
The Angels haven’t gotten much out of J.B. Shuck in left field, so it’s worth a shot. Green, 26, was hitting .365/.412/.529 with 11 extra-base hits (including two home runs), 28 RBI, and three stolen bases over 25 games with Triple-A Salt Lake. Considering how David Freese has struggled, it’s possible that he could get at-bats at third base once Hamilton is ready to return.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)