May 1, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
Mike Pelfrey turned in another terrible start for the Twins today, allowing five runs in four innings against the Dodgers to drop to 0-3 with a 7.99 ERA on the season.
Pelfrey was also terrible for the Twins last season, going 5-13 with a 5.19 ERA in 29 starts, yet for some reason Minnesota felt the need to re-sign him and gave him a two-year contract worth $11 million.
And now, five starts into that deal, it sounds like they’re preparing to dump him from the rotation. Manager Ron Gardenhire told reporters after the game that the coaching staff will meet to discuss the options with Pelfrey, but Samuel Deduno is available to step into the rotation if needed and the Twins also have top prospect Alex Meyer waiting in the wings at Triple-A.
Re-signing Pelfrey struck me as a bad idea at the time and certainly looks even worse now, with a slight drop in velocity and horrendous control suggesting that he may not be at full strength physically in addition to simply not being all that good.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)