May 1, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Mike Pelfrey turned in another terrible start for the Twins today, allowing five runs in four innings against the Dodgers to drop to 0-3 with a 7.99 ERA on the season.
Pelfrey was also terrible for the Twins last season, going 5-13 with a 5.19 ERA in 29 starts, yet for some reason Minnesota felt the need to re-sign him and gave him a two-year contract worth $11 million.
And now, five starts into that deal, it sounds like they’re preparing to dump him from the rotation. Manager Ron Gardenhire told reporters after the game that the coaching staff will meet to discuss the options with Pelfrey, but Samuel Deduno is available to step into the rotation if needed and the Twins also have top prospect Alex Meyer waiting in the wings at Triple-A.
Re-signing Pelfrey struck me as a bad idea at the time and certainly looks even worse now, with a slight drop in velocity and horrendous control suggesting that he may not be at full strength physically in addition to simply not being all that good.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)