May 2, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Cleared to return to game action six weeks after suffering facial fractures from a line drive to the head, Reds left-hander Aroldis Chapman made a minor-league rehab appearance yesterday at Single-A.
And he was clocked at 101 miles per hour on multiple pitches.
Chapman struck out two of the three (completely overmatched) hitters he faced in a 1-2-3 inning and afterward told Andy Call of MLB.com that he felt “normal … like I have always been, the way I felt before the accident. There is no fear, no hesitation with me.”
He was throwing so hard that the Single-A ballpark’s scoreboard wasn’t prepared for it:
The fastest pitches actually read “01” because the scoreboard display contains only two digits. A Dayton team spokesman said no pitcher had ever reached triple digits at Fifth Third Field.
There’s no official timetable set for his return, but Chapman said that “two or three more [appearances in the minors is exactly what I need.”
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $50,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,500. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)