May 2, 2014, 11:20 AM EST
Jim Henderson had been pitching pretty well since being demoted from closer to setup man by the Brewers and came into yesterday’s game with a 3.38 ERA on the season. He exited the game with a 7.15 ERA (and a loss), allowing five runs while recording two outs against the Reds.
And now Milwaukee has placed Henderson on the disabled list with shoulder inflammation.
Henderson has had some issues maintaining peak velocity, but that wasn’t really a huge problem yesterday as he averaged 93.6 miles per hour with his fastball and topped out at 95 mph. That’s a slight dip from his peak levels, but hardly enough of a drop to scream injury.
Francisco Rodriguez has been flawless in the closer role, converting a league-leading 13 saves with a 0.00 ERA and 23/4 K/BB ratio in 16 innings, so Henderson wasn’t going to get his job back anytime soon anyway. And the Brewers’ bullpen has been so ridiculously good as a whole that moving everyone up one notch on the relief hierarchy may work out just fine in Henderson’s absence.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)